Am I going to hate Carnival?

alli

My husband and I have cruised 7-8 times ( princess,celebrity rccl, ncl) and have just booked Fascination for 5/17. We got an amazing deal and the dates were perfect for our jobs. We were just looking for a fast, cheap get outta town sorta thing.

I'm kind of nervous that we're going to hate the 'Fun ship' thing.

With all this in mind....I'm planning on packing my sense of humor and keeping an open mind.

Any Carnival fans want to 'pump' me up?

Alli,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We were just looking for a fast, cheap get outta town sorta thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like you should have booked a room at some sleazy, local "No-Tell Motel" with rubber sheets on the bed.

Seriously, you will enjoy Carnival!

Why do you think you are going to hate Carnival?

I think many times we predetermine the outcome of situations by our expectations.

Kristi - Atom.gif

"No shoes, no shirt, no problem..."

Fantasy 3/95, Fascination 12/01, Conquest 1/03, Glory 9/03, Conquest 1/04, Mariner 9/04, Miracle 2/05

I am a firm believer that you can talk yourself into hating anything. It's all in the attitude. Carnival has never failed to let me down. I am not of the partying and rowdy crowd that some think are what cruises Carnival either. Go and enjoy your quick getaway.

carnival.jpg

Tony

2004 Legend March 28th

2003 Paradise

2002 Paradise

2000 Destiny

1999 Fascination

1998 Fantasy

If you go with an, "OMG! I just know I'm going to hate this"... I can assure you you will.

Stop worrying! Go and enjoy!

--Tybug--

10-01 Imagination

02-02 Sovereign of the Seas

10-02 Inspiration

01-03 Majesty of the Seas

04-03 Inspiration

10-03 NCL Dawn

02-04 Rhapsody of the Seas

05-04 Majesty of the Seas

10-04 Mariner of the Seas

I have also sailed Celebrity, RCCL and most recently Carnival for the second time. Like you, I had concerns with Carnival. As it turned out, I had nothing to worry about and had more fun than I've ever had on any of our previous cruises. Don't set yourself up to be disappointed. For me, it isn't so much the cruise line but the ship. Personally, I prefer new, large ships but would also be perfectly content on an older, smaller ship that had been well cared for.

Beth

When we first booked on the Carnival Jubilee last year I went with no expections, other than not to expect much. I was so surprised at how much we loved it! We booked another Carnival ship this year (Elation) and it was sooo much nicer than the Jubilee. I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised.

We previously sailed Celebrity, Disney, RCL, & Norwegian and everyone said we'd hate our Carnival cruise. We had an amazing time & booked another one for this year. I believe it's your own attitude that makes the trip. We went with the expectation to have fun and enjoy a week relaxing at sea. It far surpassed our expectations. If we had gone expecting the fine service & elaborate dinner settings like Celebrity, we would have been disappointed.

Carnival Fascination 03

NCL Star 03

RCCL Enchantment 02

Disney Wonder 02

Celebrity Century 01

Disney Magic 00

Premier Big Red Boat 99

Celebrity Meridian 91

Chandris Galelio 89

If you leave out Celebrity you will find Carnvial offers as fine a cruise as the others you listed. You can nick pick on any of them.

Things like NCL has better hot soups while Princess has better cold soups. Carnvial has great soups. Princess has bland tasting deserts and NCL has too much cocca taste, Carnival is just right. Service is the same on all these lines (not counting Celebrity) but you can get a bad waiter/steward on any of the week you go. Carnival maybe the low cost leader but they don't skimp on the overall cruise experience. To me Carnival offers a lot of different things which makes it just as exciting to go on one as it does the others you listed. You won't be bored and you won't go away hungry. What else do you need?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;07;19;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till we sail on the Zuiderdam

Til we sail on the Mariner of The Seas RCL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;3;7;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until we sail on the Disney Wonder

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2003;10;09;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

til we sail the ms Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;05;29;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We were just looking for a fast, cheap get outta town sorta thing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you probably got it with your Fascination cruise but I hope you'll look for more because there is surely much more there to be had.

As noted above, if you want badly enough to hate it, you will. It could be said that Carnival's in-your-face Funship culture is not for everybody which would support your fear but that would be a lie

Carnival is indeed for everybody..everybody who wants to have a fabulous cruise. If you don't odds are it will be nobody's fault but your own. But you sound like you'd really like to have a nice little cruise so I bet you do.

It can be high energy or laid-back and relaxed, the choice is yours. Here's some tips for making either experience happen:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/lifestyle

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Hmmm. My first thought was: Why in the WORLD would you book a cruise you think you will hate?

Then I thought about one of my friends who, for years, refused to sail on Carnival - she had sailed on other lines and just KNEW Carnival couldn't possibly measure up - no matter what I said.

Well, she finally went with me one year (practically kickin' and screamin' up to gangplank) - BUT came back telling everybody she had the best time, best food, best service, and the most relaxing cruise she'd ever taken!!! icon_eek.gif

I've been on Princess and NCL, but I prefer Carnival. I go on cruises to relax, enjoy being on the ocean with the waves and breeze - not to join in the poolside games (which I personally feel are inane).

I think, if you change your attitude just a tiny bit, you'll be very, very pleasantly surprised. However, if you go with the way you're thinking now, you'll nit-pick the ship to pieces.

Hoping you have a wonderful cruise. icon_smile.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

alli,

We have multiple cruises on all the lines you mentioned. Plus cruises on many other lines in every price range.

In Sep. we will be taking our 12th or 13th Carnival cruise.

When I'm on a cruise the only comparing I do is how much more fun am I having than I was 2 minutes ago. Last cruise is over, next cruise hasn't started, just enjoy this one is my attitude.

Dan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 9/5 Paradise Panama Canal

I guess I read the original post differently. She said she was <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> kind of nervous <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> and that <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm planning on packing my sense of humor and keeping an open mind <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>. Sounds like a good plan to me!

I think that having some trepidation about trying a different service provider is normal whether it is a hotel, airline, tour provider - even (especially?) a cruise.

Have fun alli, I think hbutton has it right <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A bad day on a cruise ship has got to be better then a day at work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jay

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;09;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Elation!

As someone who prefers Princess over Carnival, price does ultimately drive my decision. I feel the food is somewhat better on Princess, but the difference is insignificant. There are some subtle difference too. I prefer the fresh water pools of Princess, the spa's on Princess tend to have less kids in them and are open all night. And there does tend to be fewer kids on Princess in general. But the pluses for Carnival are there for me also. I hate the smaller beds on Princess (undersized twin/queen configuration) and prefer the same table for breakfast/lunch situation on Carnival on sea days. The twin/king bed thing on Carnival is really huge though, as are the larger cabins in general. I am a bridge player and have much trouble finding that crowd on Carnival. But all in all, the differences are what makes each unique. It ultimately comes down, as I said, to the deal. And Carnival usually wins that battle.

<html>

<head>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<font color="#FF0000">Grand Princess 2-2001</font>

<font color="#0000FF">Grand Princess 12-2001</font>

<font color="#FF8000">Carnival Paradise 3-2002</font>

<font color="#FF00FF">Carnival Destiny 10-2002</font>

<font color="#008000">Golden Princess 10-2003</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Carnival Legend 6-8-2004</font>

dice.gif

</body>

</html>

I'm going on the Fascination in June for DH 40th birthday. You will love Carnival. Remember a cruise is what you make of it. Enjoy!! icon_smile.gif

Ecstasy 6/00

5 year Anniversary

Fantasy 10/01

DM 50th Birthday and

My 31st Birthday

Fascination 6/04

DH 40th Birthday Surprise

You know a cruise is a cruise is a cruise. I am going on RCCL for the first time and if I listened to all the chatter on the RCCL board I would have never booked it - but I tend to have fun almost no matter what I do!

Go with zero expectations and open mind and I bet you will have a wonderful time!

Carnival

Fantasy 11/91, Ecstasy 1/98, Fascination 11/99, Paradise 2/00, Imagination 4/02, Ecstasy 5/03, Paradise 10/03

Royal Caribbean

Sovereign of the Seas 4/04

You are going to hate Carnival if you hate having fun and great food. Not to mention larger state rooms than most other ships. I'm sure you will have a great time and enjoy your cruise. Don't sweat it.

Arlene

Hey all i know is i'm going on the Legend and i'm gonna have a great time. I've only been on Norwegian so far and don't know what to expect from Carnival. But you have to make it what you want. You can't go on and say your not going to have a good time. What's the sense of booking a cruise if you think your not going to be happy? Why not try something different. I came to these boards and found nothing BUT the best people out there. I hope you have a great cruise. Until i come back from the Legend!!!!

~~Debbie~~

NCL Sea 05/01

NCL Dawn 05/03

NCL Dawn 09/03

Carnival Legend 04/04

NCL Dawn 01/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;04;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail the Carnival Legend....

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2005;01;09;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail the Norwegian Dawn....

JuniorCruiser,

The Legend is an awesome ship - one of our favorites.

Have a great trip!

Ken & Nancy dog4.gif

12/2004 - Golden Princess

10/2004 - Fantasy Fest, Key West

03/2004 - Golden Princess

01/2004 - Carnival Legend

11/2003 - Carnival Glory

03/2003 - Carnival Spirit

02/2003 - Carnival Triumph

12/2002 - Carnival Legend

04/2002 - Carnival Victory

01/2002 - Carnival Sensation

12/2000 - Carnival Tropicale

puppy.gifcountdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;12;12;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until Sailing The Golden Princess

time98.gif

I don't understand why you would ask that question on the Carnival boards...of course you won't hear us telling you that you'll hate a Carnival Cruise.

I'm sure if you let yourself listen to folks on other boards who seem to think that we over here are bottom feeders, then you'd be nervous about tyring Carnival. Keep that open mind you plan on having...I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise....it just may surprise you and turn out to be your favorite!

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

I understand the original posters apprehension because I had the same worry before our first Carnival Cruise this past Christmas. We had previously sailed on RCL, NCL & Celebrity and I worried that we might be disappointed but booked it because it was the right itinerary at a good price. We sailed on the Legend and it EXCEEDED all of our expectations. The ship was beautiful, the food was some of the BEST that we have had on any of our cruises.

Carnival Legend 12/03

RCI Radiance 12/02

NCL Wind 12/00

Celebrity Zenith 11/97

Celebrity Meridian 12/94

RCI Majesty 12/92

RCI Monarch 11/92

RCI Monarch 11/91

Archived