What do butlers do?

nmbrcruzr

First-time Silversea occurring soon, with my prior experience on cruises encountering only cabin stewards.  What actions do butlers usually perform?  What additional can one reasonably expect them to do?  Have the services previously performed by cabin stewards been partially transferred to butlers?

You don't need to stress. You will meet your butler sometime in the afternoon when you board. He or she will explain their duties and answer any questions you may have.

It's best to not go there expecting too much and then be disappointed you didn't get everything that is possible.

Enjoy your cruise... 

My short-ish answer for you is yes: the butler and room steward share duties, work as a team, and communicate regularly with one another about what needs to be done. For the most part, I have just a few requests, which seem like they could be enacted by either one. On embarkation day I request what I'll need throughout the journey: a softer mattress top; remove the beer and soda from the fridge, replacing them with things I like; hot water before bed; a heavy buckwheat pillow for my legs. Sometimes I request a shoe shine or laundry, but I prefer to handle my own restaurant alterations in person rather than go through the butler. It all seems pretty basic, and we set it up on the first day. They will attempt to learn your rhythms, sussing out whether you leave early for excursions, if you linger over breakfast, if you are a night owl or prefer an earlier turn-down.

My butlers and room attendants have all been lovely and non-obtrusive, which is generally how I like it. However, one butler went way above and beyond by anticipating extras I might not know I needed and certainly didn't ask for: an en suite dinner after a late evening excursion, welcome home roses and champagne after a mid-voyage overnight excursion, and other niceties he thought I thought I would like as we got to know each other. He is my favorite of all time, the one I remember with the most specificity, and the one with whom I felt I made a real friendship that developed gradually and organically. 

• Like 2