WOW 9 ships in port with us !

happycruzer

I have been checking the Cruisecal website for all of our ports of call for our B2B on the Jewel of the Seas. Just checked Grand Cayman and there are 9 ships on port at the same time ! March 9th 2006.

Has anyone been there lately on the Jewel, did that amount of ships cause any problems ? I just imagine the place to be wall to wall people and chaos everywhere.

PLEASE tell me I'm wrong and that we should look forward to stopping there.

Also to anyone who was there on the Jewel , can they point me in the direction of some tours....any that I have looked at leave port before we are even docked ** strange but true.

Would appreciate any info or hints for this port, we have never visited it before.

TIA

Happycruzer

I only count 6, including your ship, Jewel. Scheduled arrivals are listed on the Cayman Islands Port Authority website www.caymanport.com and are usually quite accurate.

Lately, I have seen more staggering of arrival times to help alleviate congestion around the terminals. Sounds like your ship has one of the later slots... looks like a 10:00am arrival.

I would assume that RCCL will line up shore excursions to accomodate the anticipated schedule. What are they offering?

I beleive there are only going to be four in when the Majesty comes in on the fourteenth. I was looking for similiar info for cozumel. I found some things but nothing as comprehensive as that. I guess the hurrican damage is still makign havoc on the schedules down there.

We were there for a week, and there were always more ships in port than were listed on the Cayman Port Authority page. The only exception was Saturday, when there was one ship and one ship scheduled, and Sunday when there wasn't a ship scheduled.

The ships did seem to leave and arrive at different times, which seemed to help with the congestion. If you are out and about, just give yourself plenty of time to get back. The traffic tended to be backed up along the 7MB area, especially during lunch and dinner times.

I know this would freak me out if I was on a ship and saw that many ships, but really is wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I loved GC so much, we just dealt with the crowds, and altered our plans a bit. We did notice that "locals" just seem to meander through the day with a smile on their face, and deal with whatever comes their direction.

GC is a lovely place and the people who live their are so friendly. I loved every minute of our vacation. It may be crowded, but GC is paradise on earth!

Happy Cruzer,

Ye'll nae be sae happy hen wi' a thae ships there. It'll be like total bloody chaos. Ye ken?...:eek:

(from a displaced Dundonian)

We lucked in in Nov 04 as we were the first ship (EOS) in after Hurricane Ivan...the only ship in port...hooray for that. I might suggest that the cruiselines will be battling for tenders. I believe RCCL use the double decker (yes) ferries that pull right in at downtown Georgetown.

If you have the opportunity, take an excursion to Stingray city to swim with, play, feed and pet the girls. They are the most loving and beautiful creatures, and I felt priviliged for them to let me swim with them in their environment. Most of the rays are female (about 3ft across and 3-4ft long incl the tail). They have a soft velvety touch on their topside and a smooth underbelly. They'll teach you how to hand feed them raw squid and the girls will literally come up tp you and dance on their tails for the squid.

I strongly recommend this. I would go back there just to swim with them again.

Ciao for now!!!

Hi

I know that cruisecal has not been accurate. My itinerary was changed twice and cruisecal still has the original itinerary for my sailing. The first change was because there were so many ships in GC on the same day! So hopefully there won't be that many when you are there!

Archived