Ship time vs. port time

guitargirl

Hi, I am trying to book some excursions through private operators, and have a question about ship time. In the itinerary, are the port times given in local time of the arrival port (as the airlines do), or is it based on ship time? If so, is ship time always the time zone from which you departed (We leave from Canaveral, which is EST; is that what is on the itinerary, or local Belize time etc.).

Thanks!

Glory 6/5 - 4 snorkel trips!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I wish I could give you a simple answer but there is none. I have taken cruises where ship time changed and where it didn't. In anycase the independent tour operators who cater to the cruiseships know when you are arriving and when you will be leaving.

The times listed in the itinerary are ship time not necessarily local time. It is important to be awear of a difference if one exists. If you fail to return ontime it is ofcourse your own fault.

The local tour operators would quickly ruin their reputations if they failed to return cruisers ontime or failed to pick them up because of a confusion of time.

Elation 11/2003

Conquest 01/2003

Jubilee 11/2002

Victory 02/2001

Destiny 02/2000

Geotide 11/1992

United States 06/1962

Thanks, but for example, for Dolphin Discovery, I need to pick a time which is local time. I doubt anyone at Carnival will fill me in, because they want to discourage private excursions.

Glory 6/5 - 4 snorkel trips!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The Glory is scheduled to dock in Cozumel at 7:30 AM. Cozumel is one time zone behind Florida. The local time will be 1 hour behind ship time if the ship stays on Florida time. Therefore it will be either 7:30 AM or 6:30 AM in Cozumel when you arrive. I would think any time offered before noon should easily accomodate you. It is only a ten minute cab ride to Chankanaab Park.

Elation 11/2003

Conquest 01/2003

Jubilee 11/2002

Victory 02/2001

Destiny 02/2000

Geotide 11/1992

United States 06/1962

It is up to the Captain of each ship as to wether or not he wants to change times so the only correct answer you will get is from someone who has recently sailed on the Glory. Sorry I never been on Glory so can not help more.

And it can get even more complicated if you visit a port that does not observe Daylight Savings Time. You can potentially have up to two hours difference, ship vs port time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tef43:

And it can get even more complicated if you visit a port that does not observe Daylight Savings Time. You can potentially have up to two hours difference, ship vs port time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see it coming now - a new thread - "Should I be afraid to get off the ship".....

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

Archived