Dive Shop on RCCL

Tarius

Has anyone noticed what dive computers are being sold at the Sea Trek shop on Royal Caribbean ships recently?

We are interested in getting a computer and would like to know normal prices beforehand. I forget which computers that they were selling from our last cruise.

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't know what brands they sell but I wanted to give you a warning to know what the retail price is for any computer you might be looking for. On my last cruise I was interested in the aqualand watch/dive computer since it's small in size and has a computer interface to print out your dive profile (something my gauge mounted computer doesn't do). I found it the BVIs for something like $285. I would have bought it there but the people at the shop didn't know much about it so I waited. We then stopped two days later in Nassau, I had decided by then that if the same chain store in Nassau had it for $285 I'd buy it there. Unfortunately due to taxes in the Bahamas and the bigger port, they wouldn't sell it less than $325. When I went on board that night I found the watch/computer in the ship's stores for $290. Thinking I might be willing to pay for it at that price, I thought it better to go to the ship's computer room and do a 5 minute search on the internet to get the retail price. What I found was the normal dive store I buy from had it for $245. Since it's out of state I don't pay tax and they had free shipping so it was pretty much $245. However, since the ship had a "we'll meet anyone's prices" guarantee, I printed off a copy (cost $2) and went to the ship's store. However, they would not meet the $245 price stating that "internet stores" don't count (though this wasn't posted anywhere). I tried to explain that this was a real dive shop that just had an internet presence (like Sears or Walmart), they refused to sell it for $245. So I waited until I got home and 1 week later I was a proud owner of my watch/computer for $245 (allowing me another $40 to buy martinis in the ship's lounge and still get my watch).

Lesson learned, price out what you want to buy in the U.S. every time. Duty free doesn't necessarily mean cheaper. Some U.S. stores sell things close to wholesale on volume and can still beat the ship's price.

hope this helped,

Randall

buy the computer before the cruise at http://www.scubatoys.com They are an authorized dealer for everything they sell, so unlike buying at leisure pro, you get the manufacturers warrantee. They actually will match any price and if you call them and tell them you are a member of scubaboard, they will give you a 10% discount. Plus, they charge the actual shipping cost.

Thanks guys.

Randall, yes, that is what I am doing, trying to price everything out in advance. I missed an opportunity on a great price for a computer that I wanted in Key Largo and that is why I was asking about the current models on RCCL. I guess that I want certain features and the brand isn't all that important to me, the price also is a major concern. Good advice about the duty free not necessarily being cheaper!

Scubaran, I clicked on the site that you posted and I was quite impressed. I'll be in Dallas before my cruise so I may just take a road trip up there. It seems that the physical shop is only about 45 minutes from where I'll be staying. BTW, I checked out your website and was quite entertained for a while. Really nice photos!

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Lots of help.

Anytime I travel abroad I print out local pricing on anything that I plan on shopping for (watches, dive gear, cameras, etc). As you discovered, "Duty Free" is not always a bargain. bruce-r ...again I can't agree more.....I've dealt with Larry and Joe @ Scubatoys many times and they've always treated me right. They are very helpful and have even exchanged items that I've used and found lacking in one thing or another. Larry was very helpful with my newly certified diving son picking out a less expensive regulator than we were going to purchase.

Scubaran, I clicked on the site that you posted and I was quite impressed. I'll be in Dallas before my cruise so I may just take a road trip up there. It seems that the physical shop is only about 45 minutes from where I'll be staying. BTW, I checked out your website and was quite entertained for a while. Really nice photos!

I missed the name of the scuba store Scubaran mentioned, what was it?

I missed the name of the scuba store Scubaran mentioned, what was it?

It was actually you that mentioned the shop, scubatoys.

It was also your website that I was referring to. I shouldn't post when I'm tired.

My screw up, sorry.

It was actually you that mentioned the shop, scubatoys.

It was also your website that I was referring to. I shouldn't post when I'm tired.

My screw up, sorry.

No problem. Glad you liked the photos. I need to update the front page to show my more recent photos from the Channel Islands and Christmas in Cozumel.

Thanks Bruce. Nice pics. No dive pics this time?
Well, I do have some, but I've been really busy. I got a new job just after New Years. I'm an electrician and the company I started working for has a 3 year contract at our local Intel campus. We are working 10 hour days, 5 days a week.

I guess that I want certain features and the brand isn't all that important to me, the price also is a major concern.

Please do check on brand name and do your research ahead of time. Different brands may have the same features but widely varying algorithms. That is one brand may be very liberal and another very conservative. For instance Suunto are very well made and quite conservative, but they are not cheap. Why do you care? The more liberal an algorithm is the more likely you are to get bent, unless you know exactly what you are doing and can calculate the relative risks. Unless you are a professional, in excellent physical shape, etc. conservative is better.

Kent

Please do check on brand name and do your research ahead of time. Different brands may have the same features but widely varying algorithms. That is one brand may be very liberal and another very conservative. For instance Suunto are very well made and quite conservative, but they are not cheap. Why do you care? The more liberal an algorithm is the more likely you are to get bent, unless you know exactly what you are doing and can calculate the relative risks. Unless you are a professional, in excellent physical shape, etc. conservative is better.

Kent

I think that this is why we want to get a computer. I wasn't aware of the algorigthms being so different though. bruce-r put me onto scubatoys and seeing as I'm in Dallas right now, I'm really considering the Aeris Atmos 2. They are only about 30 minutes from here so I'll be going to the store to check it out. Yes, it is on special!!! From what I have read about it so far, it isn't a bad buy. The tables that we are using now are ultra conservative, so at least with this computer we will be able to spend some safe time down there as I'm sure that the algorithms used are at least safe.

Keep it coming guys. Only one more day until a purchase.

I don't want to get bent.

I have the Atmos 2 and it has worked well for me. Although it isn't as conservative as some it has a nitrogen bar graph that lets you be as conservative as you want just by deciding what level you will accept. The reverse isn't possible. You can even set an alarm at a lower than max nitgrogen level. If you buy the computer from ScubaToys they have the download cable for $50 in a package deal. Don't forget to mention Scubaboard and you will get that extra 10% off. BTW, the Oceanic Verso Pro is really the same computer and is on special for $20 less.

To all of you who have provided some great information I would like to say thank-you.

I purchased the Atmos 2 at scubatoys here in Texas and so far it looks like a great deal. $289 US and the computer cable for an extra $50. No tax as it was leaving the state and 10% off for being a member on scubaboard. Total bill was $305 US and some change. Try as I might, I can't beat that price anywhere in Canada.

I'm also going to throw in a plug for scubatoys as they were absolutely awesome. Great staff, great help and some really good deals there. Thanks for the tip bruce-r. To those that missed it...

http://www.scubatoys.com

If nothing else, go and play with their webcam online!!!

When we get back from the cruise, I'll let you know the answer to my original question of what are they selling at SeaTrek on the ships. Hopefully I'll have prices too so you can decide before you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the cruise and it was quite nice to get some warm weather and good diving. I could have done without the norovirus outbreak but we fared well through that as well.

As for my original question about the computers sold on board, they seem to be selling exclusively Suunto. I can only surmise that the rest of the RCCL ships carry the same thing. All prices in US Dollars.

Suunto Gekko $444.95

Suunto Vyper $469.95

Suunto Cobra $689.95

Suunto Stinger $729.95

I am all but positive that I have the prices correct with exception to the Cobra. I took a picture of their display so as to be accurate, but the price is a little blurry on the Cobra. If I am wrong, it is a bonus to you as the only alternative is $659.95.

I can't seem to find Suunto at the scubatoys website, but this should give you an idea of whether to buy in advance or use the ship for duty free.

I am quite happy with my decision to go ahead and buy the Atmos 2 from scubatoys in advance of the cruise.

bruce-r ( I got the name right this time I'm sure) thanks for your advice.

Thanks again for everyones input here!

Tarius,

Thank you for taking the time to report back with the prices. Suunto might not allow their dealers to advertise their products online, or Scubatoys isn't a Suunto dealer. In any case, they make a fine product.

Suunto might not allow their dealers to advertise their products online, or Scubatoys isn't a Suunto dealer. In any case, they make a fine product.

Agreed, Suunto does make a fine product! Someone that I met on the ship rented the Suunto computer from them and got the printout for the dives. He will be looking into getting a computer now. First off, it is just cool, secondly, the information that is garnered from the readout can make you a better diver.

Although the information available from my dive computer is not as detailed as that from the Suunto rental, I'm quite pleased with the result as I can see whatever mistakes I made during the dive. Although I didn't think that I was ascending too fast, the computer has the dive right there. It caught me underwater and it caught me on the readout!

These things are amazing!

If you don't have one, get one!

Archived