Stingray city to crowded, not worth it?

christi29

I have read some reviews on stingray city and I am not sure whether I should spend the money or not. Some reviews say that it is so crowded with all the cruise ship passengers that there are so many people there jockeying for time with the stingrays and hearing people screaming gets annoying also. Anyone been here that could tell me how they felt?

I was there last week and there were about 8 boats at Stingray City. I said something about a lot of boats and the driver said sometimes they have to wait for a spot to open. When we were in port there were 4 large ships (including ours), so you can check to see how many ships are going to be in that day and that can give you an idea of how crowded it may become.

But, even with the amount of boats at Stringray City, I did not feel crowded. We just stayed in a small group near the back of our boat. Each group did pretty much the same. You could swim out toward the middle of the sandbar and it was not crowded. But, the stingrays know where the food is and stay with the bigger groups.

I think it is such an amazing experience, that no matter how many people are there, you should do it at least once. The first time we were there, it was packed, and we still had a great time. This last time, we were the only tour boat there, and it was AMAZING.

I think the key to having a good time, is booking with someone who will guarantee that there will only be 20 or so people on your tour. We used CM's and I think there were 15 people on our first tour, and 20 or so on the second one. We had 3 crew members with us on the second (2 on the first). They got in the water with us, and really worked one-on-one with us and the rays.

I do not know who offers the double-decker boats, but stay away from those. There has to be a 100 people on those things. You'd be on your own.

My DW and I were there in May 2003 when it was pretty crowded. However, we had a great time and plan to return with 2 of our kids in April. It is such a surreal experience that I would recommend that everyone go when they have a chance. The sandy bottom of the sandbar is very white and the water is pristine. Besides that, you will get to experience what only a small percentage of people ever get a chance to experience.

I would recommend that you get do a private excursion rather than going through the ship. You will receive better attention from the crew and it's a lot easier to get on and off a boat with 20 people thatn it is with 100 or more.

Thank you all for the info. I went ahead and booked it with Moby Dick tours. They charge $35 for adults and $30 for children and add 5%. It is still cheaper than thru the cruiseline. You also go to another location to snorkel. A two for one. We are going on Royal Caribbean May 21st. Anyone else going to be in Grand Cayman on May 25th?

Archived