Camp Carnival

carnicrew

Well this may be getting myself in over my head, but I'm bored and love to hear questions and comments from cruisers. I am an employee of carnival. I work for Camp Carnival and would love to answer any questions you may have about the program. I have worked on 2 ships so far, and start my next in a week. So ask away!!

WOW, thanks so much for volunteering to answer our questions.

My kids are 7 and 9.

Can the signing out privilegde be taken away from my 10-year old boy?

Can I put both my kids together in the same group?

Thanks.

I just came from the Triumph ... Well you said your kids are 7 and 9?? so they will be placed in separate age groups, regardless of what age you say they are when you register them with camp ( we get lists of all their actual ages, not the ages parents wish their children were!!):) !. But a child who is nine years old, dependind on if he's early 9, or almost 10, may be allowed to move down in to the lower age group. But this depends on how busy the cruise is. A busy cruise does not leave much room to move your children up and down in their age groups. If your child is not allowed to move to the lower age group you can inform the counselors that you are not comfortable with your child signing in and out. Now the counselor wil do their best to make sure your child does not sign out, but like I said a busy cruise can mean 100's of kids coming through the group each day and it becomes quite difficult to know who can or cant sign in and out. The issue of signing in and out for 9-11's is something that the parent and child have to agree on. If you want your child to wait for you at the end of an activity then you will have to discuss that with them. Personally I would usually just make a note that they cant sign out, and watch that they don't and make sure parents carry a copy of the schedule to know what times activities end so they can meet somewhere, or pick up their child. When a session of camp ends, and camp closes and 9-11's not picked up will be asked to sign out and if they are to meet mom and dad to either wait there for them, or go to their cabins. Counselors keep a record of when the child signed in and where they were heade at that time.

Whew.. that was a long one.. hope that helps!!

The counselors are all usually very good about this issue though and can keep a good look out on who is signing in and out

My family and I will be cruising on the Triumph in March. This will be my 10 year old daughter's first cruise and she has been asking what kind of activities she can expect. Any info here is appreciated.

I just came from the Triumph too. My daughter Emily was 6 years old and had a great time there. My son alex 11 also and my other daughter Michelle 12. That Camp was a grat place for them and they cant wait for the next cruise to get back to camp Carnival. Your Staff did a grat job with the kids Thanks Alex

Oh well then you'll get to meet some of the people I worked with. Really great team there. The Youth Director is among the best I know!! The 9-11 activites are, in my opinion, the most fun in all of the age groups. The activites include playstation time, scavenger hunts, making a volcanoe, making goop, having water balloon games, arts and crafts, sports games, bead jewelry making.....and much much more. There is a special late night party on one of the nights that goes until 3:30 am. it costs 26$ but is really worth it. They do alllllll kinds of fun stuff during the party, and the best part for you is they get brought back to their cabins by the counselors, so you dont even have to get out of bed!!! March wil be a very very very busy month for camp as well so you daughter will have many friends to hang out with. the 9-11 group gets very busy when theres lots of kids on board. Expect a ton of fun!!

We are cruising on Conquest with a 19 month old in a couple months. I understand that there is time from noon until two each day for children under two to attend the Camp Carnival room with his/her parent(s). Is this correct? Is there a charge for attending the room? What type of activities would be available for children of this age group? Thank you very much!

Hi there....my husband, 14 yr. old daughter and myself will be going on our first cruise November20. Just wondering whether she will be able to go in the group 15-17 since she will be 15 two weeks later. What types of activities does this age group do?

UNfortunatly there is limited time for under 2 year olds...

On days at sea 12-2 camp closes to all other ages so You can either go into the playroom with your child for free... or drop off for the 2 hours for 6$ per hour

on port days there is a drop off service until 12, unless youre on a tour then its til 2.... and it is 6$ per hour...

and every night you can drop off 10pm-3am for babysitting ..6$ per hour

Hello - how nice of you to come here and share your experience/knowledge with us!

My son didn't participate in Camp Carnival last time around - we went to the Orientation and the counselors talked down to the kids like they were toddlers. He was 11 and on the older end of the group age range, so I'm sure that didn't help. He had a blast hanging out with us at the pool and in the arcade ect... and met kids that way, but had no interest in Camp Carnival after the initial meeting (truthfully, I didn't blame him - the girls were TRUTHFULLY almost talking baby talk!)

Once again he will be on the older end of the group age range (14) and I am wondering if he will enjoy the teen program - is it separate from the younger groups? He does like music and dances and things like that - what else is there for this age group?

Thanks again for your input!

Hi there....my husband, 14 yr. old daughter and myself will be going on our first cruise November20. Just wondering whether she will be able to go in the group 15-17 since she will be 15 two weeks later. What types of activities does this age group do?

2 weeks later?? of course!! however something you might want to know... the 15-17 are nto part of camp carnival at all. It is something called club O2. There is a club O2 director on board who organizes the activites for this group. There are usually more activities in the Camp carnival program. So if your daughter really wants to get involved in a lot of activities camp carnival might be more fun. However your daughter should feel free to try out both groups and decide which one she will like better and then follow the appropriate schedule!!:)

Hi ya Carnicrew,

I will be on your ship this weekend,,The 11th right,going out of Miami, I will have 2 children in the youth program,ages 9 and 11,,they are so excited,,,I am also excited for them ,this being their

first cruise,

Hope I will get to meet you,,,,my name is Deborah

Once again he will be on the older end of the group age range (14) and I am wondering if he will enjoy the teen program - is it separate from the younger groups? He does like music and dances and things like that - what else is there for this age group?

Thanks again for your input!

It is still part of camp carnival but their activities are held separatley. They start a bit later in the day and go later into the night. It is on a come and go as you please basis.. Take a look at the caper and see what you might like to do... go to just those activities if you want, or go to them all!! It is much more relaxed than the activities for the younger kids. More activities for just hanging out, playing video games, there is a teen disco.... some scavenger hunts ...some fun organized sport activities.... I think Your son should give it a try. Remind him that he doesnt ever have to STAY at an activity that he has shown up for... if he sees it on the schedule and decides to go and it turns out to be something other than what he expected then he doesnt have to feel he HAS to hang around!! the counselor won't be offended!!:) ... At least it is good to give it a try... if he doesnt like the activities at least he'll be able to meet a few more people his age, and then he can hang out with them outside of the camp activities!!!

Hi ya Carnicrew,

I will be on your ship this weekend,,The 11th right,going out of Miami, I will have 2 children in the youth program,ages 9 and 11,,they are so excited,,,I am also excited for them ,this being their

first cruise,

Hope I will get to meet you,,,,my name is Deborah

unfortunatly I am no longer on the Triumph, so won't be able to meet you. I left on jan 14th. But as I said in an earlier post, the Director there is amazing. The activities are a lot of fun, and I am SURE your children will enjoy it.

Thanks for the great information. We'll be travelling with our daughter who will be 2 years, 5 months old at the time of sailing away on the Spirit. This will actually be her 4th cruise, but we feel she is ready to experience Camp Carnival. I really have only a couple of questions. First, what is your overall opinion with 2 year olds in Camp Carnival. Please be honest. I'm very open to your opinion. Also, we are thinking of renting a stroller from the ship. What kind is it, and does it lay down (for naps), and also, does it have any storage underneath? Thank you again. Lastly, what ship will you be on? Take care.

David

Carnival Spirit: 8 Day Mexico--02/28/2006 (22 days & counting)

NCL Star: 7 Day Alaska--Sept/2005

Carnival Paradise: 4 Day Baja Mexico--April/2005

Carnival Pride: 7 Day Mexico--Sept/2004

Carnival Elation: 7 Day Mexico--June/2003

Hello, and thanks in advance for answering questions regarding camp carnival. My daughter and her friend are 12. We are travelling on the Liberty this spring. What kind of activities are available for them? We don't want them to have free reign on the ship so how strict are they about keeping the kids without free coming and going?

Thanks for your suggestions - he's pretty social so I'm sure he'll at least go to the dances. He loves sports too. I just think the counselors on that particular cruise were geared a bit more to the little ones for some reason.

Thanks again and happy cruising! Maybe our paths will cross someday...

Thanks for the great information. We'll be travelling with our daughter who will be 2 years, 5 months old at the time of sailing away on the Spirit. This will actually be her 4th cruise, but we feel she is ready to experience Camp Carnival. I really have only a couple of questions. First, what is your overall opinion with 2 year olds in Camp Carnival. Please be honest. I'm very open to your opinion. Also, we are thinking of renting a stroller from the ship. What kind is it, and does it lay down (for naps), and also, does it have any storage underneath? Thank you again. Lastly, what ship will you be on? Take care.

David

Well Ill see you in a couple weeks!! Im joining the Spirit next week! The program for 2-5 year olds is a lot of fun. The activities are all very age appropriate... A lot of fun arts and crafts, coloring, singing dancing, spaze maze fun, and more!! There is sometimes a hard time with 2 year olds because they are at that age where they have some separation anxieities... Sometimes dropping off can come with a lot of tears ( sometimes not from just the toddler!!!) ha!.. But the counselors do their best to welcome the child and get them settled in and make them comfortable! For the younger children we provide parents with beepers as well.. so if the kids are just too upset too enjoy the activities then we can page you guys so you can pick them up and calm them down a little.

I hope you get to make the best of our program ! See you soon!

David

Oh and about the strollers.. Camp rents them for 25$ for the whole cruise....Theyre Usually Jeep brand strollers, small storage below, and dont recline very much

Hello, and thanks in advance for answering questions regarding camp carnival. My daughter and her friend are 12. We are travelling on the Liberty this spring. What kind of activities are available for them? We don't want them to have free reign on the ship so how strict are they about keeping the kids without free coming and going?

Hi there!

well for 12 years old there is NO signing in and out they just come and go as they please, so my sugestion to you is to have your own copy of the schedule and go over it before the girls go to camp. You can either arrange to pick them up after the activities that they wants to attend are over, or you can arrange for them to meet you in the cabin or some other place, at a particular time. Just make sure you make it clear to the girls that you dont want them wandering around on their own... tell them to stick with the counselor until the activity ends and then you'll meet them somewhere.

As for what kinds of activities: Teen hangs involvong music, ps2's...scavenger hunts, bingo, arts and crafts, bead jewelry making, playroom invasion (where they get to go into where the younger kids normally go and use all the fun stuff such as sand art and spin art)...sports games, water games, pizza pig outs, teen discos...and the list goes on and on....

What kind of programs (hours of service) are available on port days for a 6 yo? Erik

Port days camp will open as soon as the ship is docked. and wont close until dinner time... around 5 ish, but this differs depending on how long the ship is in port!! Generally speaking from open until 12 there is freeplay for all ages in the playroom... then from 12-1 is lunch time (if you are on board you will be asked to pick up you children) from 1-2 is quiet time/movie time...then at 2 the kids split up into their age groups and resume regular activities...

The timing would of course be different if the ship docks in the afternoon....

Archived