Dinner Time Dilemma - RCCL

Wendi&Max

Background: I am a single mom traveling with my 4-year-old son on Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas March 6th.

I originally chose the early seating for dinner (6:15) thinking that Max would join me once or twice for dinner, or go to Young Adventurers during dinner time. He is extremely active, and has sensory integration disorder, so I know he'll have a hard time sitting though very long dinners. I just realized that the kid's club is closed from 5pm to 7pm.

I'm not sure if it would be "proper" to take him to dinner at 6:15, then excuse myself to drop him at the kid's club at 7pm and head back to the dining room to finish my dinner without him... or if it would be better to switch to the later dinner and get him fed earlier in the evening and dropped off before I go to dinner. I would like to try to have him eat with me in the dining room at least on the first night, and possibly on the formal night regardless of what time we eat, this is a 4 day cruise.

What would you do???

Our family has always done late seating. When the kids we small we took them to the Windjammer when it opened at 6pm. Dropped them off at AO when it opened at 7pm. Went back to the cabin and got ready for late seating. If there was something in the showroom we really wanted to see and our late seating "show" was before dinner we let the kids eat pizza. Dropped them off at AO after the show. then went down to the dining room. We had to get ready for dinner before the show, but not having to pack nice clothes for the kids and enjoying a nice dinner every evening was well worth it.

If you want to take your son to dinner it is just fine to leave in the middle and bring him to the Kids' Club. Afterwards you can go back. People leave the table to go to the bathroom, don't they? I am sure the othr diners at your table will understand. Just make sure you let the waiter know that you will be coming back. You can also have your waiter bring out your son's meal when everyone else is getting their appetizers so he has a chance to eat.

And FWIW I support your attempt to take him to dinner with you. This is the age where kids can start getting used to the 'formality' of the dining room so that when they are older they will be comfortable there.

Both plans have their merits. We have travelled with our DD (now 10) since she was 5MO.

As to early seating, we have done exactly as you mentioned on several occassions - DD would order from the kids menu, would get her entre when the rest of the table was getting their 1st course - would eat it, maybe get something for dessert and somewhere between courses, one of us would whisk her off to AO for the evening. It's a good way to get your excercise! Just be certain that your waiter knows your plans.

As to late seating, up side - no mad dash, but no opportunity for him to join you either. Perhaps four may be a bit young and you may both be a bit more comfortable with the later seating.

Good luck - and have FUN.

As to late seating, up side - no mad dash, but no opportunity for him to join you either. Perhaps four may be a bit young and you may both be a bit more comfortable with the later seating.

No opportunity for him to join me if I do the late seating? Is there an age limit for the late seating or something?

I'm still torn... I've gotta get this figured out pretty soon though.

Hi Wendi,

Our 3 boys have been on the Vision twice. The first time we went with friends and their 3 boys 3 years ago. We had a large table just for us, and ate at the late seating. The waiters LOVED our kids and my middle son has a story to tell (I just overheard him telling again this weekend )about how the waiter kept bringing him shrimp cocktail. (I think it was about 7 glasses) It was great! The only downside to the late night dinner is that it really is late, and the kids get tired and may fall asleep... they also miss out on the AO stuff.

We did another Vision trip last Jan. We had an early seating and I was really worried about sitting with stuffy old people who don't want to be bothered by children. Well, I was right to be worried, because on our first night we met our table mates... 2 retired couples. AAGGHH!

Well, turns out that I had freaked over nothing!!!!! They LOVED the kids and even made sure that they all met us to cheer them on when we climbed the rock wall. It worked out great and the boys loved meeting some nice new grandparents for the week. Yes, Our 3 YO fell asleep at dinner every night.

On formal nights the AO has kid dining, so the kids don't have to go to dinner with the adults. We like having our kids at dinner with us, so we didn't use that much.

You and Max will have a great time! Relax and enjoy your cruise.

*Ü* Starr

Anyone have an opinion on what I might miss with either dining time? For instance, are there more shows, activities, etc. that I might want to attend that are during the early seating or late seating?

TIA!

==Wendi==

Wendi,

When you have the late seating you do not have to worry about racing back from your shore excursion to get ready. It is nice to have extra time to hang out at the pool as the sun sets.

With the main seating I had to "miss" a few classes in the Ship Shape center because they were planned for 4, 5, and 6 pm. They were the ones you pay $10 for, so I wasn't *too* upset about missing them. The Main seating was at 6 pm so getting ready after a workout would have been tricky.

I like to get up early so I don't miss out on anything in the am, so for me, the late dinner is just too late.

It all really depends on what you want. I have done both and like the advantages of both.

BTW, On my vision cruise, the sailaway was at 5 pm and the AO orentation was at the same time.

HTH,

Starr *Ü*

Hi wendi,

We took our children and grandchildren on the Vision of the Seas two years ago. We had late seating and the youngest was three years old. She went to the children's activities during the day and my daughter was given a beeper in case of any problems. My daughter fed her dinner in the buffet and then at 8:00 p.m. a babysitter came until midnight. We arranged it with the purser's office when we arrived on the ship. I think it was $8.00 per hour, but it was well worth it. The babysitter was one of the housekeepers and she really appreciated this extra money. We had NO problems.

sheila

Archived