A BIG BIG BIGGEST ship Not Princess thankfully

FredS

Think that you are buying a house for $230,000 with a 15-year mortgage say 10% interest. The monthly cost would be how much the cruise lines have to recover per pax per month for just the cost of the ship. This comes to $2,500 (for 4 weeks). Then add all the other costs -- crew, fuel, food, port costs, replacing the plates, knives and forks, and so on. It will give you an average amount they would have to charge. Of course, I am using a ship life of 15 years and then it is junked which I think is appropriate.

/Sultan

PS: By the time I finished calculation and typing, Dan had posted his $300 figure. This would be at 0% interest. I prefer to think corporations work with borrowed money.

It would seem that the cost is $230,000, per berth. They will have to sell a lot of soda!:confused: I don't understand the economics. john

True, mine was simple math without interest, but how much less would that $2500/month be with a more realistic 3-5% rate that a corporation like RCI would get? I mean, even little old me can get a 10 year mortgage rate of 5%.

I also beleive that per berth figure is based on double occupancy, not taking into account any of the extra 1000 berths, a large number of which will be filled on a weekly basis, if the Voyager-class ships are any indication.

Being of a younger generation (just turned 24 today) I would have to say I will be the first to book a cruise on this ship. To me bigger is better. Sure the bigger the ship the more people there are on board but the bigger the ship also means many many more options for things to do. Something for everyone you could say.

Having just gotten back from the Grand Princess and previously sailing on the Carnival Conquest, both huge ships, I never found them to be crowded whatsoever so I don't think the new ships this large will be super crowded.

Let me know when they start taking reservations, I don't care where it's going I will be on board.

You're right on the name, TM2. If it were Celebrity's ship, it would be a hummer, but for RCI the more mass-market Suburban is a propos.

Behemoth of the Seas. What, is this a joke? If so, it's a bad one. I'm sure some people will like this monster, but I won't be one of them. I think even the Caribbean Princess is too big. Have to wait forever for an elevator. Can you imagine the wait times on this thing? Will they have to board passengers the day before sailing?

These guys are losing perspective. Yechh.

Archived