Maui

DGK

Hi All,

I want to begin by letting everyone know how grateful I am for this site. I have learned sooo much. As we plan our first cruise and trip to Hawaii on P.O.A. in late May any recommendatios regarding for our second day in Maui. We will be renting a car and having lunch at Mama's. We would like to be back to the boat by mid afternoon which will be leaving from Kahului. How far is the port from Mama's ? Any suggestions for a relaxing day of beaches, shopping or any recommended tourist sites? Any ideas would be appreciated. Our first day is planned for Lahaina and the south and west side.

Thanks,

DGK

any recommendatios regarding for our second day in Maui. We will be renting a car and having lunch at Mama's. We would like to be back to the boat by mid afternoon which will be leaving from Kahului. How far is the port from Mama's ? Any suggestions for a relaxing day of beaches, shopping or any recommended tourist sites?

Some great and relaxing places to visit include: Iao Valley (15 min from the port), Maui Tropical Plantation (10 min from Iao Valley), or the winery (40-45 min from the port). The first two, or the third alone would make for a very relaxing morning and get you to Mama's (20-25 min from the port) in plenty of time and without stress.

After lunch Ho`okipa Beach is another 5-10 min beyond Mamas. Or, if you'd prefer to shop, Queen Ka`ahumanu center is an easy 10 min walk from the port (easier if you still have the car).

Hope these help. Do post of you'd like more specific information. Enjoy...

The best Maui beaches are on the west and southwest side. So, you should plan your beaching for your first day when you'll be over there anyway.

For your second day, bobnsandi's post is right on. (I guess that's not surprising considering that they live on Maui. LOL.)

beachchick

Thank you Beachchick and Bobnsandi for the great advice. We plan on seeing the south and east side on our first day. Hookipa beach was suggested , on a map I found another one called Kanaha Beach , any idea how it compare with Hookipa ?

DGK

We think Mama's is overrated and know that it is overpriced.

For a fun and tasty lunch try Paia Fish House in, er, Paia. Fifteen minutes from the airport on the Hana Highway in central Paia. You can't miss it.

Tasty dishes - you order and pick up at the counter. Beer and wine. Allow an hour.

I don't agree that Mama's is overrated. It's not cheap, but it's worth the money. We've only had dinner there, so I don't know if lunch is as good. People have said that lunch is good and the fish and chips are excellent, but I have no idea. I can only say that for dinner it was worth every penny for the atmosphere, service, and food (both freshness and preparation).

DGK: We don't know Kanaha or Ho'okipa well, but that's mostly because we don't windsurf. We've heard that they are both excellent for windsurfing, and they do seem popular. However, they are great for windsurfing for a reason, which means they are probably not so great for swimming or just plain old sunning, and certainly not for snorkeling. We far prefer the west and southwest beaches on Maui.

As always, JMO (and DH's too).

beachchick

Mama's is one of our favorite restaurants, anywhere. If you accept the fact that all fine dining in Hawaii is not inexpensive, then Mama's prices are very competitive. You also cannot overlook the setting. You can get a meal anywhere and save a few bucks. For something truly memorable, go to Mama's.

Here's a panaorama of the beach that I took at Mama's:

http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/image/31892391

Here's a panorama I took of the windsurfers at Hookipa:

http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/image/31893170

Here's a bunch of pictures I took of food presentations and restaurants on Maui, including signature dishes at Mama's:

http://paulmj.smugmug.com/gallery/101935

I'd have to agree with this as well. Where else can you eat fish that has a pedigree (the menu lists when, where, and how the fish was caught as well as who caught the fish)? The fish preparations at Mama's are fabulous. Prices are expensive but frankly for the quality here, it makes me not care about the price. :) But food is one of those things that everybody has their own opinion so everybody should try it once and make up their own minds. :D

Spleen

spleen: Mahalo! Now I finally have a way to explain about how the fish dishes are listed at Mama's--a pedigree. That's it exactly. We thought it was great. DH agrees with you about the price/quality. He doesn't like to go out to eat much and far prefers my cooking (which I enjoy doing), but at that meal all he did was rave about how amazing everything was--he hardly ever does that. I have to say that the mixed fish green curry I had was the best I've ever eaten. Better than mine, and I make a pretty darn good green curry! Plus the service was top-notch and the setting can't be beat.

beachchick

Mama's is one of our favorite restaurants, anywhere. If you accept the fact that all fine dining in Hawaii is not inexpensive, then Mama's prices are very competitive. You also cannot overlook the setting. You can get a meal anywhere and save a few bucks. For something truly memorable, go to Mama's.

Here's a panaorama of the beach that I took at Mama's:

http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/image/31892391

Here's a panorama I took of the windsurfers at Hookipa:

http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/image/31893170

Here's a bunch of pictures I took of food presentations and restaurants on Maui, including signature dishes at Mama's:

http://paulmj.smugmug.com/gallery/101935

you are quite the photographer!! awesome pictures...keep up the good work!

Yes Thanks for the fabulous pictures.I am just in the planning stages for this trip.My friends all say that I have just as much fun planning our vacations as we do taking them.Due to our time frame we are considering a land tour vs a cruise,so I am trying to absorb all the info I can.

Archived