Mandatory Gratuities on Carnival??

SisterCruz

Is it true that you have to pay the $70 for a 7 day cruise? I was able to adjust this on previous cruise. AAA tells me it is mandatory charge now. I dont agree with this as I dont normally utilize the fancy dining room so I cant see tipping that staff.I prefer to tip for the service I recieve.Any suggestions?

It's an automatic charge not a mandatory charge. It can be adjusted just like always. If it was mandatory they wouldn't be able to call it a tip or gratuity as that gives you choice.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'Til my next cruise

Most cruise lines have moved toward this automatic charge. You still have complete control over it. It's a convenience issue.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

detroit100.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

And then:

Yet *another* surprise!

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

Do you make your travel agent aware that you do not want to use the dining room? THat way the dining team wont have a table waiting for you.

The gratuities are put automatically on your sign and sail card, you only need to go to the pursers desk to have them removed.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

You should also be aware that the dining room staff takes shifts in the alternative dining facilities, too. I had the assistant server at my dining room table deliver room service to me.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=4>

<param name="day" value=18>

<param name="hour" value=18>

</applet>

Carnival Conquest 4/18/04

So, you NEVER dine in the dining room? Hmmm, I bet you don't tip the people who clean your plates off your table in the buffet either, so who do you tip?

I don't happen to agree with witholding tips unless the service is CONSISTANTLY poor( not just one bad apple) .

Enjoy your cruise, but remember what goes around comes around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by serene56:

Do you make your travel agent aware that you do not want to use the dining room? THat way the dining team wont have a table waiting for you.

The gratuities are put automatically on your sign and sail card, you only need to go to the pursers desk to have them removed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually... Whether you say that you will eat in the dining room or not, the cruiseline will ALWAYS give you a dining assignment (for traditional dining). Regardless... Tipping is never *mandatory*, and even on ships that automatically add tips, you are able to adjust them with the purser. As a previous poster mentioned, btw... The tips that are automatically added to your bill, are shared with the workers in the buffet area (who are also usually workers in the dining rooms).

Pam : )

Emerald Seas 6/20/83

Nordic Empress 6/93

Imagination 3/30/00

Ecstasy 9/4/00

Majesty of the Seas 10/27/00

Triumph 12/16/00

Radiance of the Seas

3/26/01 & 3/29/01

Crown Odyssey 6/24/01

Golden Princess 10/11/01

Spirit 11/11/01

Sensation GGC 1/13/02

Sovereign of the Seas 3/24/02

Imagination 5/18/02

Pride 11/2/02

Explorer of the Seas 3/29/03

Enchantment of the Seas 9/1/03

Serenade of the Seas 10/28/03

Grand Princess 11/16/03

check out my pics at http://community.webshots.com/user/lunyma

The tips go to the head waiter and his assistant in the dining room and to the cabin steward, whose services you will definitely by using. I assume that you will be eating somewhere on the ship. So keep in mind that the tips go to take care of the employees serving you there.

Your post seems to indicate that $70 for a week seems excessive. Keep in mind that these cruiselines do not have to follow American labor law. The employees work 7 days a week for months on end for less than minimum wage. They really do rely on the tips. So please don't be one of these people that go on vacation, indulge themselves, take the hospitality and great service and then duck out on the tip. They really do earn it.

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America

4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

Archived