Rum Point or 7 Mile Beach/Sea Grape

crusinmom

Which would you do? We want nice sand and beautiful water.

We are thinking of doing the Rum Point excursion with lunch. Is it worth the extra $$$ to do this or should we cab it to Sea Grape and fend for ourselves?

Is the Rum Point area of the island a great way to see some of the area? It sounds like Sea Grape is not too far from the port.

The day we were at Rum Point, it was so crowded, you couldn't get a chair. However, the area is really pretty. The beach area isn't that big, but is is very tropical. The sand and water there is very pretty. There's a long pier that you can walk down (that's where the boat will dock that brings you-if you come by boat). The restaurant there (I can't remember the name) had really good food. There is also a place to rent wave runners, and things like that. They have a nice gift shop, and it's pretty area to walk around. But it is shaded there, so if you want to soak up the sun, you probably won't be able to do that. And the day we were there, it was packed.

We drove past Sea Grape several times, and never did it look crowded. There were cabs lined up waiting to transport passengers back to the ships. We did not stop there, but from what I've read, they have a restaurant, and water sports also. Sea Grape is on the far end of the beach (from the port). It's not a long drive at all, but I've read the cabs don't like going down that far since they charge per person, not by the distance. I want to think it's maybe a 15 minute (at the most) drive from the port area...and the scenery there is pretty, when you can get a glimpse of the water. The hotels/condos block most of the views.

I know I didn't really answer your questions, but from the pictures we'd seen, Rum Point was not what we were expecting. It was just too crowded. But 7MB area also gets crowded. On the days where there are 6-9 ships, the road along 7MB tends to get clogged. As for nice sand and beautiful water, both places have that.

I haven't been to Rum Point, but have heard great things about it.

Sea Grape will have what you are looking for. It may depend on how long you want to ride and how much you want to pay. You will have a great time on the beach at Sea Grape if you decide to go there. It will also have everything you need chairs, restrooms, drinks, food, water sports, etc.

Rum Point tends to be much quieter in the mornings. MUCH quieter before 10am or so.

You know, it didn't occur to me that we arrived right in the middle of the day! We fiddled around (had breakfast at Coconut Joe's), then slowly made our way to Rum Point. After all, why rush? We had all day. I don't think we rushed to do a thing the entire week...it was so relaxing!

Next time, we are going to get there early... :)

Archived