Tanning Bed Question

trustthedj

I don't have mine handy but I paid $35 CDN for bronzer with hemp.. can't remember the name..

I don't know if you should go consecutive days in a row.. The salon I goto recommends every 2nd day.. until you get a good base!!

It is very relaxing I do the stand up.. do not like the beds.. too close for comfort for me..:eek:

The gal at the salon said to come every day for four weeks. She started me at 6 minutes and said I could go up to 8 by Sunday if I wasn't pink. I do tan easily, but do you think every day is too much?

The gal at the salon said to come every day for four weeks. She started me at 6 minutes and said I could go up to 8 by Sunday if I wasn't pink. I do tan easily, but do you think every day is too much?

It all depends on your skin tone.. if you do not burn.. then I guess everyday would be OK.. but if you have fair skin everyday is too much.. you need to give your skin sometime to relax.. and absorb the damage(yes suntaning is damage) sucks eh ..

My salon started me out in a not so hot bed at 13 minutes, that was two days ago, then today, I did a bed with new bulbs, 13 minutes again ,,,,,burned some parts,,,,ouchieeeeeeeee :eek:

They may have put you in the wrong strength bed.. I started out with lay downs did 2 sessions at 11 mins no colour.. went back for the 3rd and said up the time to 17mins.. I did get a little burn.. not bad.. I then waited a couple days and decided on the stand up.. I started at 4mins.. now up to 6 this is all within a 4 week period.. i am getting colour.. I am a bit reddish.. because I do not tan easily but the tan colour is coming!! (as for the burning some parts.. I tan nekkid... and my precious melons have never seen the sun... and they are now a nice golden colour :p ) Just incase you didn't read all the thread I am fair fair fair fair skin... hate the sun!! :) Plus if you are cruising you may want to check out the Funnel Deck to show off those tanned beauties...

Have any of you who go to the tanning salon use the Jergens or any of those lotions with the color enhancers in them for your moisturizer after you use the beds. Just wondered if they are okay to use along with the tanning or if they cause uneven or strange looking tanning results.

Don't want to overdo it.

I do believe they did, i think it was waaayy too hot for me. Trying to sit at work today was a little harsh. I do not burn easily, but some of those parts that started to tan has never been tanned before, and not thinking about that, well, lets say I have learned my lesson, next time, the lesser strength bed for me.

I signed up for tanning yesterday and paid 72 dollars for it.. I thought a bit pricey... She started me off in the low beds for 7 minutes.. today I went up to 8 minutes... I am very very very fair, and my twins are sure feeling it right now! lol. I think I am going to take tomorrow off of tanning just to let my body breathe, and attempt to do it again on sunday. I bought a nice bronzer... This is the first time I am tanning before my cruise (3/19) Last time I went on a cruise and went down to South America, I burnt so bad at 4pm on the first day of the cruise, and I only sat out for a half hour.. anyways, I still have scars from that burn! never again do I want to feel that pain. The rest of my cruise was ruined from the pure uncomfort that I had to deal with from my stupidity. lol plus there was no Aloe to be found anywhere on the ship!

I went tanning for the first time last year before my Mircale cruise in May.

At the place here, I started out with 4 min. in the lowest bed and i just added 2 minutes each time I went, after I had the full time in Level 1, i started slowly again on L2 and than L3. They also told me that I should always tan only every other day and thats what I did. I never burned anything, not even my sensitive areas, that didn't see sun for a long time.

Just started again one month ago for my Liberty cruise. One more week and I am sailing away. :)

The owner of my old has told me time and again that it is much better to go every other day... I don't know the science behind it, but he says it is better for the tan and better for your skin... he says that for your tan to properly develop, you need to give it time to "react"... that tanning actually takes 24 hours to fully develop... and it also gives your skin time to "self moisturize"??

This is a link to the salon... there is a little info about it on there...

http://www.coolcabana.com/Questions.htm

Also, some states actually have laws that you may not tan consecutive days, and the tanning salons are supposed to enforce it. So, depending on where you are located you may not be able to tan every day.

I always tan the month before a cruise. I am very fair skinned but I do tan pretty well. I only do the lay down beds because I find them so incredibly relaxing. I wish I could do that all the time without the tanning. It is warm, the white noise from the bed blocks out sound and the fan prevents any discomfort from the heat. I think I could actually get addicted to it!

I start out at 8 or 10 minutes and work up to 20 within a week or week and a half. I usually try to go 3 times a week or so and the last week before the cruise I go every other day. I get a very good base tan and I don't burn, even without sunscreen, on the cruise.

You don't use sunscreen? Wow! Even with a base tan, I would fry!

SUNLESS TANNER

Someone asked about sunless "spray booths"...I have used it and felt like I was going to suffocate from the THICK fine lotion in the air...plus I had terrible streaks on my feet and ankles later...I HATED IT!

So I stick with Banana Boat's sunless tanner and put it on myself...it is tinted so you can see where you have put it so you don't get streaks...theY have two colors...lighter and darker...I use the lighter the couple days before I go and I take the darker on the cruise and use it as an after the sun lotion....I put it on right after my shower, when I get back from the beach...

It makes my tan look warmer...and I am very dark by the end of a week from both the sun and the bronzer on top of it....

After trying like 15 brands including several from Nordstrom's and 3 different salon brands....Banana Boat works the best for me..and the smell isn't too bad...and it isn't yellow looking on my skin. And it doesn't break the bank!

TANNING BEDS

As far as tanning first...so you won't burn...If I don't use sunscreen I still burn down in the Caribbean...it is more intense than a tanning bed and I am at the beach or snorkeling for hours!

If I am going to tan in a bed before I go...

I use the UVA beds only before I go to just get some color without burning...and then I still use a 25+ block at least at the beach....and I just add the self tanner above mentioned when I get back to the ship over the top of my tan...I am very fair and I look great by the time I get back. My tan usually lasts about 6-8 weeks after returning to the reality of winter! Then I start dreaming of Summer again and planning my next winter's cruise!

HAVE FUN on your Vacation!

I started about a month out-going 3x/week in the 'slow cooker' beds. I was started at 9 mins, and got a little pink between the ladies, on my tummy and along my costal arch (edge of your ribcage, which they say is normal).

My package was unlimited, $48 with tax/CDN. The lotions they wanted to sell me were about the same price (no thanks). I tried the owner's own personal supply once, and could not handle the tingle factor (it was a 'blush'-so the tingle isn't even a Factor 2), glad I did not waste the $50, lol.

For the last two weeks I was going almost everyday, since I wasn't picking up much colour in the beds (I'm very fair as well). They bumped me up to the medium stand-up and then I started getting colour at last. I worked up to 15 mins in the lie down, alternating with 9 mins in the stand ups and ended up with a very nice tan. They recommend alternating between the two to maintain your base and increase your colour. I lost it quite quickly though, my tan is about half of what it was.

I'm happy to say, for the first time I didn't burn on vacation! My DBF did, lol. I wore a light SPF for the most part, but forgot to reapply after swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman (the first and only really nice sunny day we had though). Still didn't burn! I'm still psyched about this fact, lol!

I use the tanning salons too.... Though this last week, I've been working on a natural tan with 80 degree weather..:D ..... I use the Matrix.. It's a little stronger but somehow works better and requires less committment after getting the base tan.... I always go under what they recommend.. But I've been going so many years now off/on that I know what my body can handle. I also am fair and don't tan easy.... but if I don't have something base wise, I burn like crazy.... Also, don't forget they have the Mystic Tan.. That's the spray on tan and I've used it many times.... if you do EXACTLY what the video says, you'll be fine.... But some people take shortcuts and it looks like c***..........

what about the sunless tanning spray at the salons? have you ever seen the results from that? i was thinking about trying it.

I always feel better with a tan, and have had a constant one for about 4 years now :eek:. I have tried everything, but still go back to tanning beds. The spray, while it is safer, it for the most part does not look that great. It looks great once you get it done, but only lasts for a few days, a week at most. You have to report for your touch-ups to keep it lookin good. When it does come off, if you choose not to have it anymore, it does not just fade as a regular tan does. It actually comes off in patches, and looks utterly disgusting. That has been my experience with it at least. Hope you find what works best for you. I like to alternate, i go roughly 4 times a week. Once a week in a stand-up and the other 3 in a bed, that keeps my color even from head to toe. Always use an accelerator. And one thing i cannot stress enough, is, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!!!!!

[quote name='TravelWorks'][B]SUNLESS TANNER[/B]
Someone asked about sunless "spray booths"...I have used it and felt like I was going to suffocate from the THICK fine lotion in the air...plus I had terrible streaks on my feet and ankles later...I HATED IT!

I TOTALLY AGREE with the above comment.. Never use those. I was so embaressed. After the first day I sat out in the sun and obviously sweated. The tan became all blotchy and would not come off in the shower. It looked like I had a skin condtion or something. Also, when I got in the pool or hot tub my figure nails looked bright yellow..

My personal opinion is if you are fair skinned, definately go tanning in a tanning bed, but don't overdue it. You don't want to burn on the first day of your cruise.. it can ruin a great time....

[quote name='trustthedj']Can you use the tanning salon lotions, ie, California Tan or Swedish Beauty, when also tanning on the beach or are they just for tanning beds?:confused:[/quote]

Tanning bed lotions have no SPF .. if you want to protect from the sun purchase another lotion

I found that those "tingle" lotions are misnamed. To me they should be instead "burns like fire!" I had one for legs and made the mistake one day on putting it on before I left the house for the tanning salon. On they way there my legs started burning and by the time I got there (about 10 minutes) by legs were bright red. I looked a little strange going [I]in [/I]to a tanning salon with bright red legs.

[quote name='irishnewfie']They may have put you in the wrong strength bed.. I started out with lay downs did 2 sessions at 11 mins no colour.. went back for the 3rd and said up the time to 17mins.. I did get a little burn.. not bad.. I then waited a couple days and decided on the stand up.. I started at 4mins.. now up to 6 this is all within a 4 week period.. i am getting colour.. I am a bit reddish.. because I do not tan easily but the tan colour is coming!! (as for the burning some parts.. I tan nekkid... and my precious melons have never seen the sun... and they are now a nice golden colour :p ) Just incase you didn't read all the thread I am fair fair fair fair skin... hate the sun!! :) Plus if you are cruising you may want to check out the Funnel Deck to show off those tanned beauties...[/quote]

Okay, my ladies are all tanned, but I'm afraid the BF won't let me show them off, he is dead set against Orient Beach, and won't even consider the F Deck,,,,,,oh well....

[quote name='bluejeans']Okay, my ladies are all tanned, but I'm afraid the BF won't let me show them off, he is dead set against Orient Beach, and won't even consider the F Deck,,,,,,oh well....[/quote]

LOL go without him to the F deck anyways... show those ladies off!!!:D

Archived