I almost hate to ask, tuxedo or suit?

Happy ks

do they dress formal every night?

Well, it depends ...

Colleency just gave an example of how low the official standards are on some of the QM2 cruises.

On other cruises the suggestions can be different, they certainly are different on crossings and on the QE2, where we had, for example, on a 14 days cruise last year five formal (tuxedo) and nine informal (jacket and tie) nights.

And, who is "they"? Many people, including my friend and me, wore at least jacket and tie respectively nice dresses every night on the QM2 independent of a "casual" designation or not, as this is appropriate for the traditional atmosphere.

On Cunard, do you dress for dinner every night?

That question is difficult to answer. Cunard has two very different ships.

QE2 doesn't do casual nights, unless you have either an overnight in port or leave port after 6.00pm. Even then, you will see the majority of men dressing in jackets or (at the very least) a tie. It is a very formal ship. A fair few even embark with jacket and tie!

I gather things are different on the QM2, and the sense of classic formality that is so lovely on QE2 isn't present. I may be wrong, but until QE2 is retired, I doubt I'll find out.

Quite what will happen with Queen Victoria I don't know. I hope the ship will try to be as formal as QE2, but I'm afraid I have my doubts.

I have seen white tie on the QE2. But very rarely!

I am of the belief that if there is a designated formal night, it should be Black tie. I am old-fashioned , although I am just 38, and believe if one is going to book this or any other event, just blend in.

then again, I tend to overdress, if unsure. I am usually more comfortable in pants and button-up **** than cut-offs. I hope the QM2 attracts folks with similar tastes.

I have to ask, sdb1s. Did you put in the asterisks, or did you misspell shirt?! <LOL>

Karie, who needed the laugh, as I just lost a semi-long reply I just wrote on another thread.

Well, it depends ...

Colleency just gave an example of how low the official standards are on some of the QM2 cruises.

On other cruises the suggestions can be different, they certainly are different on crossings and on the QE2, where we had, for example, on a 14 days cruise last year five formal (tuxedo) and nine informal (jacket and tie) nights.

And, who is "they"? Many people, including my friend and me, wore at least jacket and tie respectively nice dresses every night on the QM2 independent of a "casual" designation or not, as this is appropriate for the traditional atmosphere.

I can vouch for him! Both he and his lady-friend were always impeccably dressed!

As for QM2 not being formal- I beg to differ. I saw very few jeans, if any- I don't remember seeing any at all, truth to tell you!) And most people were well dressed at all times! Even the so-called casual nights, many people were dressed quite dressy. Heck, we even complained enough to get one night upgraded!

Karie, who dressed EVERY night! I did not even bring any nighttime casual clothes! I suddenly realized that every pair of pants, I had with me (when it got cold the last night) were dressy! Like not suitable for daytime wear! (Okay, because we came down in a snow and sleet storm and drove home in the same, I did bring ONE pair of jeans as being more practical for driving in- But I wore a nice shirt with them!)

I have to ask, sdb1s. Did you put in the asterisks, or did you misspell shirt?! <LOL>

Karie, who needed the laugh, as I just lost a semi-long reply I just wrote on another thread.

Sorry - I must have misspelled SHIRT....I appreciate your good sense of humor...

Sorry - I must have misspelled SHIRT....I appreciate your good sense of humor...

Archived