Concierge Class - Sub Champagne for Wine?

evert9

The story: In 1983 my Mom & I were on the QE2 coming back from England. There weren't a lot of young people on board because school was still in session. Still, I managed to meet a few. One night my shipboard friends and I were drinking and dancing in the transatlantic class disco (you had to be 16 to drink, and we were all 17-19), when Mick, the hot bar waiter, brought over a bottle of Dom. "We didn't order this!" we told him. He said it was a gift. We asked "from who?" Mick pointed out a guy who looked to be in his late 30's-to-mid-40's. We drank the first bottle and then went to thank the guy, and he bought us a second bottle. Turns out the guy was staying up in whatever that super posh Queen's Grille suite was, said that he was a brother of the then-King of Jordan (so he would be an uncle of the current king). He said he was bored in first class and so came down to where we were to check things out, and we were having such a fun and lively time that he wanted to send us the champagne.

I gotta tell you, after that, every cruise experience, no matter how wonderful, has been a bit of a let-down.

Still, I love Celebrity, and 23 years later my Mom & I are still taking cruises together.

So drink that sparkling wine or don't, and if you decide to use it for an after-shampoo rinse, think of me and giggle :)

Archived