Tips for getting a good night sleep

Cruise Arizona

My problem is usually staying asleep. I think part of the problem is the wine with dinner or maybe a glass or two after dinner. On most nights I fall asleep pretty easily, but sometimes wake up during the night. (I have to check out that strange blue glow, you know) Then have trouble getting back to sleep.

As a person who suffers from Fibromyalgia, I am used to only sleeping a couple of hours at a time, then not being able to get back to sleep.:(

One thing that works for my husband is BENADRYL - it actually makes alot of people drowsey (not me unfortunately)

Of course Tylenol PM is pretty good (again, not for me), but you are groggy in the morning:(

Noise is a bit issue for me - esp. in the summer when we open the windows so I know being near the elevator on our upcoming trip will bother me:( . I am planning on bringing some foam (squishey) ear plugs on this trip in hopes that it will help

I wish the Oceanview cabins in Zenith had a balcony that I could open the door too (only a window and I am sure that doesn't open - or does it???)

Also, consuming alcohol tends to make you sleepy but you neither get a restful sleep and your are apt to wake up after a few hours

Best of luck

Sleepless..........

Could be hormones,(I'll be 39 this year) but I think it is more likely just being in a strange place, strange bed, strang noises.

My house is pretty quiet, but if for example the door is rattling because of the outside wind, It'll keep me up, so I have to put pillow by the door to stop the rattling.

Our cabin on the Infinity kind of creaked with the motion of the ship, and I couldn't figure out a way to stuff a pillow in the walls to stop it. :)

Last summer I was in a hotel in Anaheim and there were noises comeing from the floor upstairs, nothing real unusualy just foot steps and doors opening and closing, and I had a horrible time sleeping.

Maybe I've narrowed my problem down, it looks like it could be strange noises that bother me more than anything???? Looks like the earplug suggestion might be just what I need.

I use to have trouble sleeping, or rather staying asleep. About 6 years ago I tried a magnetic sleep pad, and amazingly it worked wonders. I know it just wasn't the "Power of Suggestion", because for quite awhile, I put it on, and took it off, until I was satisfied with the results. We now travel with a Magnetic Travel Pad.

Karyn

Maybe I've narrowed my problem down, it looks like it could be strange noises that bother me more than anything???? Looks like the earplug suggestion might be just what I need.

Maybe you need to sleep with ear plugs. There must be some out there that are soft and comfortable for sleeping. I've never researched them, but I bet some of our fellow cruisers can help.;)

Garry

I have two personnally tried and true suggestions:

Horlick's: British Isles and Canadian passengers will possibly be more familiar with this. It's a powder mixed with hot (or boiling) water. Some people take with milk. It first saved me from jet lag woes in 1995 when I went from Canada to England for a Girl Guide camp. My hostess made it for me the first night and I slept like a baby, woke up refreshed and able to face a full day of touring. I think it has malt in it, but I'm sure CC members from the U.K. can correct me.

Oatmeal: A half a cup instant oatmeal, mixed with hot or boiling water, eaten before bedtime. (***caution -- don't add sugar, jams or jellies) Milk is optional. (I used to have a TBSP fat free sugar free yogurt on top, but, now I've grown up and don't need camouflage:D) I'm not a nutritionist and don't know why eating this little bit of oatmeal works, but it does for me! It also has a few other advantages (besides enhancing sleep):

-- no morning after groggies;

-- helps keep 'systems' performing properly despite different hours, different environments, different foods, different beverages;

-- no three o'clock in the morning acid reflux from rich food at dinner.

Sorry, neither suggestions are covered by medical insurance, but oatmeal is definitely available on board Constellation, Infinity and Summit:)

Terry

P.S. I can't vouch for ear plugs -- I don't hear anything once I turn my hearing aid off for the night.

A few years ago I had such trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. It went on far too long. I even had to stop working because I was soo exhausted.:(

My doctor put me in a sleep lab. in the hospital for a few nights to see if they could determine the problem. Try and sleep there.:eek: They have wires attached to your scalp , face and lids.

All they could confirm was that I was indeed sleeping no more than a couple of hours a night. I was missing all my REM sleep.

Anyway from that experiment, I was given meds that they thought were suitable considering the results of the Lab. Eventually I was weaned off of those and regained my sleep.:)

Boy, excuse me I am really rambling and am competely ot.

p.s. But now I sleep with those waxy ear plugs that you warm up in your hands. They are fabulous and I can't hear anyhting.:D To be honest, I'd panic if I forgot them at home. They are hard to find.

Maybe you need to sleep with ear plugs. There must be some out there that are soft and comfortable for sleeping. I've never researched them, but I bet some of our fellow cruisers can help.;)

Garry

The most comfortable and most functional ear plugs I've ever used are at the race track. They are squishy high density foam cylinders that you roll up tight with your fingers into somewhat smaller cylinders and then insert into your ears. The "memory" of the foam is a little slow, so it takes a couple of seconds for them to try to expand again, so they make a very nice fit. I can't remember the name of the product. We have a whole bag of them. Good for tuning, good for watching a race, but WAY too effective to wear in the pits -- you'd never be able to hear the rest of the crew if you were wearing them there.

My problem is usually staying asleep. I think part of the problem is the wine with dinner or maybe a glass or two after dinner. On most nights I fall asleep pretty easily, but sometimes wake up during the night.

A very common problem for a lot of folks is simple alcohol rebound. Even a relatively small amount of alcohol (1-2 drinks or more), for some people, can make you drowsy for a while, and then have the exact opposite effect for many hours. The rebound effect will wake you and keep you awake. Consequently, individuals who have problems with staying asleep are likely to be warned by their physician to eliminate the alcohol for many hours before bed time. It doesn't mean that a person is a problem drinker, the rebound is a known problem for some people.

The current class of sleeping medications, unlike those of only a few years ago, no longer have their medical rebound problem. Something like Ambien, or it's generic Zolpiden, can be taken nightly during a period of stress to help you with sleep. These meds are effective and won't leave you with a hangover. It is really worth talking with your physician before your next cruise, so you can maximize your relaxation and enjoyment. BTY if noise is a problem, you can get silicone soft earplugs which are effective at reducing noise significantly. At home, if you get background noise, try running a fan (like a Vornado). This will often block the irritating noise with white-noise. Have a great cruise.

Archived