Bangkok attire

cruiselover96

Just checking the Bangkok Attractions on www.TripAdvisor.com and have noticed with the Grand Palace that suitable attire must be worn. No capri pants - need shirt sleeves and pants that cover the ankle. Wonder if this is requested in the shore tours description. Be interesting to see whether they are strict on this when cruisers return and write up their experiences.:D

Kerri

Just checking the Bangkok Attractions on www.TripAdvisor.com and have noticed with the Grand Palace that suitable attire must be worn. No capri pants - need shirt sleeves and pants that cover the ankle. Wonder if this is requested in the shore tours description. Be interesting to see whether they are strict on this when cruisers return and write up their experiences.:D

Kerri

I'm also concerned about this 'dress code' which includes having to wear shoes that cover toes and heels, in other words, no sandals. They do say that you can 'borrow' the correct attire when you get there. It's a bit more complicated than just 'borrowing' a sarong at the temple gates! Will wait and see.....:rolleyes:

I want mine to say I d I h I m but patiently waiting. Have to pay the full balance today. We booked direct with P and O so maybe they will send tickets early. I think i have read on here that they usually do.Alwasy a great feeling to have those tickets in your hand. Boy how i hate those E-tickets you get for soem flights

In the shore tour book, there is a note on the side that says:

When visiting temples & palaces, a respectful dress-code applies, with no sleeveless tops, ripped jeans, shorts or mini-skirts allowed. Shoes must be removed before entering the temples, the Grand Palace, and at the restaurant for dinner.

That was for the 'Afternoon & Evening in Bangkok'

There are similar notes for the tours visiting temples. None mention the ankles specifically. Maybe I will just wear a long skirt

In the shore tour book, there is a note on the side that says:

When visiting temples & palaces, a respectful dress-code applies, with no sleeveless tops, ripped jeans, shorts or mini-skirts allowed. Shoes must be removed before entering the temples, the Grand Palace, and at the restaurant for dinner.

That was for the 'Afternoon & Evening in Bangkok'

There are similar notes for the tours visiting temples. None mention the ankles specifically. Maybe I will just wear a long skirt

Thanks for that information, Sarah. :)

I want mine to say I d I h I m but patiently waiting. Have to pay the full balance today. We booked direct with P and O so maybe they will send tickets early. I think i have read on here that they usually do.Alwasy a great feeling to have those tickets in your hand. Boy how i hate those E-tickets you get for soem flights

I want mine to read 00d 00h 00m 00s

Have been to Bangkok several times and was there most recently last June. The grand palace and the temples in the city have a dress code which means no shorts or short skirts on ladies, though as a guy i have usually got away with long knee legnth shorts and my wife wore 3/4 trousers. Also you can not wear sleevless tops, though normal t shirts are fine, sandals are also not permitted. Dont worry too much though as if you turn up incorrectly dressed they will lend you a shawl or something to cover up.

Shoes do need to be removed before entering temple buildings and things, but not to walk around the grounds. You should also NEVER allow the bottom of you feet face the Budha as this is a big insult.

You do not need to take off your shoes in restraunts to go to meals, though if you visit a Thai person at home you would.

Make sure you do the palace and Wot Pho which is next door. If you have any questions please let me know, Thailand and its people are WONDERFUL

... sandals are also not permitted. Dont worry too much though as if you turn up incorrectly dressed they will lend you a shawl or something to cover up.

Shoes do need to be removed before entering temple buildings and things, but not to walk around the grounds.

VeryStormy, thanks for your helpful advice. Glad to hear we can wear 3/4 pants to the Grand Palace. As our time in Bangkok is short, DH and I were going to skip going to the GP if it meant having to wear a long skirt/trousers for general sightseeing and shopping.

Re suitable footwear, does it mean that we're not allowed to wear sandals to walk in the grounds (of the Grand Palace)? Do you know whether it would be acceptable to wear socks and sandals (thereby hiding our feet and ankles):confused: .

We're very much looking forward to our short sojourn in Bangkok. Can you perhaps suggest a reasonably priced (A$50-$100) hotel that's close to the Skytrain? We're looking at the Asia, Indra Regent, Novotel Bangkok Siam Square - are there any others you can recommend for a one-night stay?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Ans

VeryStormy, thanks for your helpful advice. Glad to hear we can wear 3/4 pants to the Grand Palace. As our time in Bangkok is short, DH and I were going to skip going to the GP if it meant having to wear a long skirt/trousers for general sightseeing and shopping.

Re suitable footwear, does it mean that we're not allowed to wear sandals to walk in the grounds (of the Grand Palace)? Do you know whether it would be acceptable to wear socks and sandals (thereby hiding our feet and ankles):confused: .

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Ans

Ans, from what I've read you're able to wear sandals outside but when it comes to entering the temples, grand palace etc. you take your shoes off

Also on the Tripadvisor a guy wrote that his wife had on 3/4ers and they gave her a serong, so it will be interesting to hear back from the others that head off before us

Kerri

Ans, from what I've read you're able to wear sandals outside but when it comes to entering the temples, grand palace etc. you take your shoes off

Also on the Tripadvisor a guy wrote that his wife had on 3/4ers and they gave her a serong, so it will be interesting to hear back from the others that head off before us

Kerri

Thanks Kerri. Glad to hear about the sandals. I wasn't looking forward to wearing socks with sandals (in particular, hubby's socks) - not a good fashion statement, especially not with a sarong..;) This makes it all a lot easier.

Ans

Never had a problem myself or wife with 3/4 legnth trousers, but as pointed out if they deem them too short, they will lend you a sarong. Socks with sandals - a bit of a fashion "statement":eek: but should be acceptable.

The hotels you mention are all good and central, never stayed in any of them myself as we normally stay in BK for at least 3 or 4 days at a time and prefer to stay out of the city where the air is better, but have seen them hotels and they all seemed fine.

Make sure you try the street food. I know it may be something that you normally dont do, but it really is some of the best food in the city - just look at where there are lots of people buying it from. Also for lunch, head to the MBK shopping centre and on the top floor is a unique and excellent dinning experience.

If you have any questions feel free to mail me at csn7@le.ac.uk

Archived