Snorkeling from beach in Freeport and Nassau???

erieconquest

Our ship docks at Freeport from 8am to 4pm, and Nassau for 24 hours. We would like to find the best snorkeling. Since we have our own equipment, are there beaches where we can swim right out to the reef? (I'm not really into booking a ship excursion, and then being herded around like cattle.) Sea Island Adventures sounds good for Nassau, but my husband wanted to see stingrays. We can book the stingray experience through the ship, but I read on one of these boards that it was very crowded.

At Freeport, is there snorkeling from Lucaya beach? Or do we need to book an excursion there, also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would do mroe research on the Stingray swim - is that the one on Pearl Island? I will be checking it out on Tuesday on the Yellowbird and will let you know about it. I may or may not interact with them, depending on their situation....heard its pretty murky where they are located....we will see.

I do know that it will be NOTHING like swimming with them in GC - totally different environment from what I have read.

I also will be at Rose Island all day Sunday (so excited about this one) and you can walk right out from the beach. I have some posts here about it if you do a quick search for Rose Island.

Sea Island DOCKS their boat on the backside of the island and you walk 30 meters or so to the beach. There's a set of stone stairs from the dock to the top of the island.. It's a much larger and more stable boat. Holds about 100 people or more. They have a large stretch of beach with chairs, hammocks, water toys etc. The bathrooms and showers are nearby, as is a tiny souvenir shop and bar. (very rustic)

The native lunch spread is served on the beach with a seating area.

Both crews entertain with games, volleyball etc.

PS - Welcome to Cruise Critic and try searching the forum (ALMOST top right corner) and type in Lucaya and any other names and you will be rewarded with a bunch of links (posts) on the subject. You can learn valuable info here!!

We would like to take a cab to a beach, put on our snorkeling gear, and swim out to a reef. (guess I wasn't very clear on that) I haven't found much on this topic - maybe most people book the excursions. If anyone has done this, I would appreciate hearing about their experience. Perhaps most of the reefs are too far off shore.

Our ship docks at Freeport from 8am to 4pm, and Nassau for 24 hours. We would like to find the best snorkeling. Since we have our own equipment, are there beaches where we can swim right out to the reef? (I'm not really into booking a ship excursion, and then being herded around like cattle.) Sea Island Adventures sounds good for Nassau, but my husband wanted to see stingrays. We can book the stingray experience through the ship, but I read on one of these boards that it was very crowded.

At Freeport, is there snorkeling from Lucaya beach? Or do we need to book an excursion there, also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

In Freeport my daughter and I did the kayak and snorkel excursion at Petersen Caye.....ocean kayaking was harder than I thought it would be but the snorkeling was great (our first time) one guide took his group out farther but our guide went around the side of the little island ...pretty much all the way around...and the coral and stuff was right up to our chests almost. For a first timer I thought it was cool....

Archived