How many luggages do you bring with family of 4?

hansolo

Hello,

My DH and I have a 14 month old girl and 11 year old boy. So far my count of luggages are 7 which are 1 big luggage, 2 duffel bags, playpen, stroller, diaper bag, another carryon bag and I haven't even think about other things that I might need to bring.

I do have my packing list, but I'm not sure how they are all going to fit into the luggages especially with the baby things. Just wondering how many people out there with small kids pack all the stuff. Do you think it's better to have 2 suitcases instead of 1 suitcase and 2 duffel bags? My husband and I are sharing the suitcase which I don't know if that is even possible. What's your take on this? Thanks

Joanne

Can I ask why you need a playpen?

We are a family of 5.....DD 6, DS 3, DD 15 months....we had 4 pieces of luggage and my DD rolled her Disney Princess luggage with toys for all 3 kids...I had a backpack....this was for an 8 day cruise!

I promise you will NOT use 1/2 of what you will bring!

For my kids I brought 3 bathsuits with coverups....8 outfits each for dinner...4 shorts and tops each...2 pairs shoes each....underwear, socks....That was it.

Do you think it's better to have 2 suitcases instead of 1 suitcase and 2 duffel bags? My husband and I are sharing the suitcase which I don't know if that is even possible. What's your take on this?

Be careful sharing one large suitcase. If it weighs more than a certain weight, airlines may charge you. I have shared a suitcase with my 2 DDs and had to pay extra at the airport because we went over the 50 lb. limit. It was only $25, but I could have just as easily brought two suitcases.

Good luck,

Kari

Hi,

That's a good point about the possibility of going over the weight limit of the suitcase. I guess it's better to take 2 suitcases and the 2 kids clothes won't be too much anyway.

Also I should have mentioned that we are going to Disneyland prior to going on the Mexican cruise, so I was thinking of bringing my own playpen (crib) for the hotel. And I read from the other threads that people preferred to bring their own crib as opposed to using the ships crib. We are sailing on the Vision. Thanks for your input.

Joanne

You probably would want to split your stuff among at least two suitcases anywhere (just in case one gets waylaid).

Here's something we did when we flew to Miami for a cruise with our then 3-yr-old. We built in some time and did a little shopping trip for pullups, etc. That way, we could take less. I also found a foldup seat for the toilet. Girl really enjoyed using the john on the plane, hotels, ship. Made her feel grown up.

We left the stroller at home and took turns carrying her. But we did bring (checked in on the plane) her car seat.

Last cruise Disney Magic 7 day.We had lg..med..sm...1 garment.For 4 dh myself and 2 teens...Dh and 2ds's had a carry on(backpacks)You have to pack then put almost 1/2 back.We lived in bathing suit T shirts from AM to Dinner time for almost whole cruise(ds"s the whole cruise cept dinner and if they went to evening entertainment.

I hope you have the biggest suite on the ship -- you're going to need it for all that stuff!

Seriously, you don't need the playpen. Instead, for the few times you need to "contain" the child in the room, use the crib (which will be provided by the ship -- just request it ahead of time). Also, you can get a full-sized stroller from the ship; you'll probably have to put down a deposit to assure that you'll return it, but it'll be a nice stroller and you can even take it on shore excursions.

Do ask whether the ship has crib-sized sheets, or whether they'll give you huge, adult-sized sheets. I was stuck with that problem once.

Do bring plenty of diapers and baby food. Beyond that, you don't need 1/2 of what you're describing. You'll only be encumbered with useless stuff, and it'll be a bother.

Back to your original question: We're a family of four, and we'll bring four medium-sized suitcases. Each child will have a backpack with toys and books, and I'll have a carry-on tote bag (which will double as a beach bag later) to carry our camera and other valuables onboard. We always pack light and rarely end up missing anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Joanne. Are you buying an airplane seat for your 14-month-old? If so, that seat entitles you to check 2 more bags and have a carry on... if not, you are limited to 6 checked bags for the 3 seats you're buying, and your diaper bag will be the carryon for one of the three paying passengers. The stroller, if it's a small umbrella-type, is a freebie not counted in your carryon or checked luggage... you can just use it right up to the gate and check it planeside. I highly recommend a small, lightweight, foldable stroller for a 14-month-old... it's so much easier for traveling.

Things you can minimize or do without... the playpen (nice to have your own, but it takes a lot less room to bring a box of antiseptic wipes and use the hotel's/ship's crib or playpen), clothes (spend money on ship's laundry if the kids are getting 3 outfits a day dirty! Better than carrying too much), and toys.

Things to bring extra of: diapers!

Don't forget: baby Tylenol. I wouldn't count on the ship having any.

I had a friend who backpacked across Turkey with a baby once. Baby slept in an opened drawer and bathed in a pot borrowed from the kitchen of a hostel. I used to try to remember this when assembling the incredible array of baby gear I used for travel... babies did just fine before we had all this stuff.

Sandy (in Halifax)

Try get everything into the least amount of suitcases posible, a lot of small bags are harder to move then one big one. For the four of us (2 Adults, 5yo, & 2yo) we fit into two checked (never over weight), two carry-on, two personal items, two strollers, and two car seats.

Spead everyones clothes between the two checked bags in case one dosen't arrive (has never happined to us [knock on wood]). Try to rinse dirty clothes out after use or do a load of laundry to avoid having to pack more. Try to pack clothes that can do double duty: ie pants that can unzip into shorts, t-shirts that can be worn under shirts one day and then during the day with shorts.

If possible try to buy some items at your destination or mail them ahead of time: ie diapers, snack food, extra sippy cups.

Sandy- Thanks for the tip!!! My 15 months is not paying. I have decided over past week that I will bring 2 regular sized suitcases and will start packing this weekend. Can't wait for the cruise less than 2 weeks away. Also I can always do laundry at the end of our 4 day stay at Disney if needed. I think I would just rather bring my own crib, I don't mind bringing it. Yeah, I have to put the antiseptic wipes on my packing list (almost forgot about that).

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated. The ziploc bags really do work. I have put my daughters outfit in the ziploc that she will use for each day.

Joanne

Archived