Any luck getting compensated after cruise is over?

sailsalot

Hello!

Just got back from the Chilean Fjords QM2 cruise that rounded Cape Horn. The trip was amazing--great scenery, shipboard activities, ports of call, and of course, food.

The only problem we ran into dealt with the ship's organized tour and airport transfer at the end of the trip. I feel strongly that a letter needs to be written, but I don't know if it's futile since the trip is now over. Does anyone ever have success in getting compensated after the trip is over? The problems deal with not getting credited for a previously-paid-for airport transfer that was supposed to go toward the cost of the excursion/transfer, and paying for a 9 1/2 hour excursion, but having it cut short at 7 hours.

Any advice from past experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Hello!

Just got back from the Chilean Fjords QM2 cruise that rounded Cape Horn. The trip was amazing--great scenery, shipboard activities, ports of call, and of course, food.

The only problem we ran into dealt with the ship's organized tour and airport transfer at the end of the trip. I feel strongly that a letter needs to be written, but I don't know if it's futile since the trip is now over. Does anyone ever have success in getting compensated after the trip is over? The problems deal with not getting credited for a previously-paid-for airport transfer that was supposed to go toward the cost of the excursion/transfer, and paying for a 9 1/2 hour excursion, but having it cut short at 7 hours.

Any advice from past experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Yes, I have.

But it was a while ago. A polite letter, which was not too negative but simply explained the facts of some shortcomings on one long -ago Cunard trip brought a discount on a future cruise (which we used) and extra solicitous treatment on that future cruise, including being assigned seating at an officer's table (the engineer's table in this case- He had his own table assigend with passengers permanently at that table, not as they now do it with a rotating guest list at the "captain and staff" table) While we did not receive direct copensation, we did get positive attention from Cunard. I think the key was to be complimentary in the overall, with a straighforward word about the problems encountered. They were most solicitous and apologetic in return and I never fel like we had gotten soma form letter and short shrift. I really felt they genuinnly cared.

BTW, I doubt you will be compensated for the shortened excursion, as that is usually beyond their control, though they may alter their future relationship with that tour provider, or drop them if this is indicative of a problem with them in general, but you might get a refund on the transfers. I have had that happen also, but on another line. I have also had them re-evaluate their relationship with a tour provider when there was rude treatment of my father on a "handicapped accessible" tour. So they may straighten things out for the future, and give, at the very least, sincere apologies.

Karie, YMMV

if you do write do Cunard directly, also be specific what you are asking for. It's much more effective to state "and therefore I request a refund of $xxx equal to the cost of the transfer" or "and therefore I request $100 discount off a future cruise" or similar. When you leave it open ended, you are much more likely to receive a stock answer along the lines of "we regret the difficulties you had and look forward to welcoming you on another cruise"

Archived