Southampton to London by train for £1 !!!

I hear that Megatrain uses a car that they tack onto a regular train. Now I understand that the buses used by Megabus are old double deckers from Hong Kong. So what about this car on the train

My wife and I and another couple rode the Megatrain on July 11th from London to Southampton.

It was a great bargain. We were on the 11:19am train from Waterloo to Southampton. The only "problem" was that none of the cars looked different. There was nothing to identify the Megatrain car from the regular cars.

When the train conductor appeared he pointed us to the second car from the front and we were off. It was a nice new car and had plenty of room to store our luggage by the doors where we boarded.

There were only about 10 people on the car and the whole trip took about an hour.

There were plenty of cabs available in Southampton (it was 5 pounds to the ship) and there are elevators in both Waterloo and the Southampton stations.

The entire cost for 2 was 7.50 pounds.

Kevin - booked for our August cruise. Relieved to learn that it is OK!! Unfortunately, they don't run one back from Southampton on Sundays, so the bus it will be!!!

Thanks to OldSilverFox - 'allo Charlie!!!

I hear that Megatrain uses a car that they tack onto a regular train. Now I understand that the buses used by Megabus are old double deckers from Hong Kong. So what about this car on the train? Is it an old dilapitated car or just as modern and new as the rest of the train.

Trains in this country are almost always fixed formations. Almost invariably south of London. They are what we call multiple units - anything from one coach to nine. But you can't add a single coach, only another unit.

So the seating is identical to "normal" seating.

As far as the buses are concerned, I occasionally speed past one on the M1. Looks like a perfectly normal double decker coach. Ugly livery though.

I purchased National Express tickets from London to Southampton coach station, Harbour Parade, Hampshire. Now I'm worried that the destination should have been Southampton, Red Ferry. Anyone know which is correct?

(Golden Princess departs from Mayflower Terminal, Birth 105 @ Herbert Walker Avenue, Gate 10, Southampton)

Thanks,

C

Archived