Best place to rent a car at Port Canaveral

abbyndrewmom

We will be on the March 12 NCL Spirit and have a full port day at Port Canaveral. We would like to rent a car and go to Typhoon Lagoon, Disney Water park. We DO NOT want to take the ship transfers. We have taken many land trips to Florida and are very familiar with this area so we are very comfortable driving.

What I really want to know if any of the rental agencies will let you return the car after 6:00 pm, so far all the sites I have checked say they close at 6:00 pm. Our ship does not depart till 8:00 pm so i would like to find an agency that would let us return the car after 6:00.

Have you tried Budget? I don't know what the hours are for the location in Cape Canaveral, but the Budget office is right down the road from the port and they offer shuttle service to and from their location. I've only used Budget while in Port Canaveral....I can't help you with other car rental companies.

On our last cruise (NCL Dawn) I used Hertz. They were about $10 more- but they were more convienient. They picked us up at the dock about 9:30 and stayed open later than the other companies to drop us back at the boat at 6:30. Call them. I think it was like $50 total for the car. We will probably use them again this year.

This website helped: http://www.dcltribute.com/carhire/

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work at the Hertz there and we stayed open until 7:30 whenever we had a port of call ship in. If you got back after we closed you could drop the keys in a night drop box and call a taxi. I would suggest you call the local offices, not the 800 numbers. Avis, Budget, Hertz, and Thrifty are all located on A1A in Cape Canaveral and offer free shuttle service to the port.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Budget this past week. I called the local office to discuss what would happen if we returned the car and the office was closed. I believe most car rental agencies in that area are very accomodating. However, it is best that you check. We were given a cell phone number to call for shuttle transportation back to the dock if the office was closed. It turned out we returned the car before 6pm.

Archived