Question about Suva & Vila Shore Tours

AliCruise

Hi jock ryan & welcome back. Hope you had a great time, would like to hear all about it. If you don't mind me asking how much was it for the paraflying? My 15 y.o. son wants to do it. Hubby & I have both done it but may do it again.

Karen

Have been to Vila twice and have done the Hideaway Island Tour and the "Sail'n'Snorkel".

Both are great though the "S'n'S" was the better of the two.

Both are really popular and I'd recommend you pre-book via fax before you leave rather than trying your luck on the ship.

Hi Everybody,

Recently the Pacific Star travelled to Fiji and Vanuatu and I was wondering if anyone did any of the shore tours in Suva and Vila and which was the best and why?

AliCruise

PS: 40 days til Coral Colours HA...:)

We're going on the same cruise - group of 6 of us. We got our tickets last week - very exciting.

Have been to Vila twice and have done the Hideaway Island Tour and the "Sail'n'Snorkel".

Both are really popular and I'd recommend you pre-book via fax before you leave rather than trying your luck on the ship.

Unfortunately the only shore tours we seem to be able to prebook for R611 Coral Colours are the tours in Noumea - there was no option for prebooking tours in Suva or Vila.

The Sail 'n' Snorkel definitely sounds like something I would want to do. What's in involved with that? How much, how long, what's included, etc?

Thanks

Hi Skyrules,

If you don't mind me asking have you booked any tours for Noumea and if so what one/s did you choose?

AliCruise.

PS: I got my tickets yesterday and I'm counting down the sleeps now.

We haven't booked any tours yet - and we probably wont. This is my 3rd visit to Noumea and my partners 6th, so we've pretty much seen and done most things. One of the advantages of the afternoon arrival in Noumea is being able to explore coconut square at dusk - so we'll probably do that - and go to a chocolate shop we like and just generally have a look around.

The Sail 'n' Snorkel definitely sounds like something I would want to do. What's in involved with that? How much, how long, what's included, etc?

Thanks

Trevor (see you've stopped putting your name), we did the Sail n Snorkel and had a ball. I don't snorkel but DH and 2 girls do and they loved it. we went on had the ropes at the front and you were able to sit/lay on that and watch the water go by:cool: They took us out near a group of 3 islands and they could snorkel off the boat. They had a reef shark swimming near the boat which apparently was harmless:eek: . On the way back we sailed back to the wharf which was magic. It was a great morning. Can't remember what time in the morning we went but it was early and we're going for at least 4-5 hours. We still had plenty of time to do what it was we were going to do in the pm.

Kerri

Trevor (see you've stopped putting your name), we did the Sail n Snorkel and had a ball. I don't snorkel but DH and 2 girls do and they loved it. we went on had the ropes at the front and you were able to sit/lay on that and watch the water go by:cool: They took us out near a group of 3 islands and they could snorkel off the boat. They had a reef shark swimming near the boat which apparently was harmless:eek: . On the way back we sailed back to the wharf which was magic. It was a great morning. Can't remember what time in the morning we went but it was early and we're going for at least 4-5 hours. We still had plenty of time to do what it was we were going to do in the pm.

Kerri

Thanks Kerri,

I was just being lazy by not putting my name :rolleyes:

Sounds like a wonderful time. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? Do they include lunch/snack? Is it a P&O tour?

Trev.

Last time I cruised was with my girlfriend and we did the train and culture centre tours which were great but this time my husband and kids are coming on the cruise so we will most likely do the train and then walk around the square.

When we were there in June we did those two tours - train in the mornng, cultural centre in the afternoon and had lunch in Coconut Square in between.

As described above the Sail 'n' Snorkel is great. We sailed out on the old fishing boat and arrived at a deserted beach which the boat has been visiting for over 6 years. Because the fish know they are going to be fed there are plenty of fish to see. Don't worry about hiring the snorkels off the ship. The tour includes snorkels, flippers etc and they are well maintained and of good quality.

I swam from the boat to the shore but the crew also carry non-swimmers and everyone's gear to shore in a tinny. There is an OK beach for those who just want to sit and do nothing.

You are onshore for about 2 hours then taken back to the ship. Tea, coffee and snacks are served on the way back.

For people visiting Noumea do not book any of the city tours on the ship. Unlike some ports where the only way to get on a tour is via the ship as P&O book all the capacity, this is not the case in Noumea and there are plenty of tours available from desks in the cruise terminal far cheaper than those offered by P&O.

We didn't take any tours. We walked around the city in the morning and got a cab to Anse Vata Bay in the afternoon and went for a swim. We just got a local bus back to the city when we wanted to go back to the ship. Noumea is easy to get around. Whilst French is the main language there is enough English spoken to help you if you get stuck. Noumea is only about the size of Ballarat so it is not like being lost in a huge city. Generally you can always see the ship's funnel as you walk around the city itself.

we went to lemon bay when we were there in sept last year. we got a taxi to ante vasta(sp) and then walked around the bay to lemon bay. Nice little spot, not much here, a few shops (was a sunday but a couple of shops and restaurants were open)

If there are a few of you , it may be better just to take a taxi as i think the tour is just a drop off and do you own thing. The you have to come back when they tell you.

Hi Kym,

Have you or your partner been to Lemon Bay in Noumea? I notice it was on the tour list. Do you know what is involved with this tour.

Alison

We have been to Lemon Bay. On the cruise we did on Pacific Sky we were supposed to arrive at 3pm (much like we will on the cruise we're doing in March, and indeed most cruises departing Brisbane), but we didn't end up arriving in Noumea until after 5pm and all the shore tours were cancelled. Instead, they put on a free shuttle bus service to Lemon Bay.

Lemon Bay is basically a restaurant strip, with a few shops aswell, overlooking the water. I don't really know what a tour would do there, and $49 is a bit steep just to be taken there to go shopping. If you wanted to go there it would probably be cheaper in a taxi.

We went to a lovely restaurant there called Dukes, and we are seriously considering going there again. If we do, we'll probably get a taxi.

Kym

Archived