Sun info

bucketsofbeer

Going on the Sun 4/15. Trying to find out about cabin space with third person.

Also this will be the first time we are bringing our 8 year old son and were wondering how the kids crew was.

After all the snow we just got the days can't go by fast enough, can't wait till April.

We were also wondering about some of the excursions

Virgin Gorda ?

Dominican R. ?

5/93 RCCL Monarch

4/02 RCCL Voyager

2/05 Princess Grand

1. We Had A Balcony, So I Do Not Know. The Couch Pulled Out Into A Bed.

2. Kids Crew Was Great We Used It And Our Son Loved It.

3. We Went On The Virgin Gorda And Had A Great Time.

4. The Dr. I Would Recommend Getting An Excursion. We Did Not And We Just Went Into The Town. We Had A Good Time Just Looking Around.

This Is What I Hear.

1. The Rainforest Exc. Was Excellent

2. The Horsebacking Riding Tour Was Scary, Very Steep For The Horses.

3. The Whalewatching Tour Was Excellent And They Saw Whales.

We Were Just Going To Take A Taxi To The Beach. Unfortunately, It Was Closed Because The Other Cruise Line That Was There Rented Out The Whole Beach And The Only People That Were Allowed To Go In Was One's With Excursions. Oh Well, Wasn't Ncl's Fault They Didn't Know That.

Just Be Careful, This Is Very New To The Dr Seeing Ships, You Will Tender In Because There Is No Big Port For Ships. I Just Waited Until All The Exc. Were Called And We Got On Whenever We Wanted To (no Problems) They Do Not Speak English, Very, Very Little Or None At All. Next Time I Will Book An Excursion. I Had A Great Time. We Went To A Outside Market And Bargained Everything I Bought Down At Least Half The Price They Were Asking For. If They Don't Let You Buy It For What You Tell Them. Walk Away, Believe Me When They See You Going To Another Booth To Buy Something They Will Run After You To Give To You For What You Told Them. After We Shopped There We Went Down The Street To An Outside Bar And Meet Some People From The U.s And Bought There Beer For $2.00 Us. Dollars And Had A Great Time Talking To Them.

The Taxi Drivers Will Take Us Dollars And They Will Take Your Us Dollars. Just Make Sure You Know The Exchange Rate When You Leave The Ship.

Thanks for the info. We were leaning towards Virgin Gorda and also the rainforest excursion in DR.

Any other info or tips about the ship?

Did you arrive the day of departure, how was embarkation, we've heard that it runs very smoothly.

at any of the ports did they have rentals for waverunners, tried it last cruise and it was a blast!!!

Embarkation was very smooth and quick. About 15 minutes from the time we entered the terminal til we were on the ship. It might have been even shorter than that had we not been the last ones off our transfer bus from the airport. Transfer was also very efficient and reasonably priced.

Excursion from Tortola to Virgin Gorda definitely worth it. There are two, both ending up at the Baths on VG. One is for snorkelers: make sure you're a good swimmer, as the swim from the boat to the shore is about 100 yards against a current. The other is a combination of bus and ferry, which gets you some beach time and some town time.

In the Dominican Republic, we rounded up a group of 10 to fill a van-taxi for a 40-minute ride to a beach at Las Galeras. If you just put a few people in a taxi, you'll pay thru the nose, but a large group gets a better rate per person. You're paying for a driver and the taxi, which will stay with you until you return, and a "tour guide" who will know enough English to broker the deal and tell you a few things along the way. However, the guide is not part of the financial deal and will expect a tip at the end of the trip. Our cost came out to $15 a person, far better than the ship excursion and definitely worth it. Interesting ride, beautiful beach, but very primitive. There's a shelter near the beach with several food and beverage stands, and then some shops about 1/4 mile from there, all very rudimentary but worthwhile.

Archived