Costa Maya shore excursions

LKARambo

We just found out that we won't be sailing to Cozumel. Rats! We were hoping to view some Mayan ruins. Any suggestions or comments on the Chaccohoben ruins or the Kohunlich excursions. How long of a ride is this and what kind of transportation will it be? We have 2 boys 7 and 10 who may not have an appreciation for a long bus ride.

Thanks for help

LKARambo

We were also "bumped" from Cozumel last month (since we had already been there 2 years ago & got to swim w/ the dolphins, I wasn't too disappointed, anywhere it's warm & sunny in January was fine by me), that having been said, we did the jungle beach break. A GREAT deal, only a half hour bus ride through the "jungles" (just acres & acres of swamptype greenery) to a great little resort type place w/ the most accomadating people you'll find (you'll forget they actually don't work for Disney). All the food & drink (alcoholic & otherwise) is included (a great savings right there!!) & the kids will have fun playing on the beach while you sip margaritas on your beach chair (also tons provided). They also have the swim w/ the dolphins option (for a "small" fee, but since we did that I didn't look into it further), you can rent banana boats, also not sure of the cost. My kids are 12 & 9 and just loved it. One tip, make sure you all take a bathroom break before leaving to go back, my poor daughter learned this lesson the hard way, halfway through the bus trip back she decided she HAD to go so bad she couldn't wait, my husband asked for the bus driver to pull over (in the land of vast nothingness) & he did so w/o a complaint at all. Great customer service all around. Make sure you take advantage of the swimming pool in their center of town also to rinse off the beach. Also w/ a swim-up tiki bar. Hope I was a help & have a great time!!

We did the Chacchoben ruins last december. We loved the tour, excellant guide and very interesting to see. take bug spray if you go!!!

It is one hour drive from the pier in a large air conditioned bus to the ruins. there is a small gift shop there with one mens room and 2 ladies rooms. Not the cleanest I have ever seen, but not too bad. i would take your own seat cover and t. paper too in your purse.They tend to run out due to hundreds of people going through there each hour.

A few light snacks are offerd, chips, candy, ice cream.

There were younger kids on our tour and some got a little restless, but the guide had brought some items along and passed them around to everyone to see, so that helped. Another mom had brought a coloring book and crayons for her child. It was about 5 hours from start to finish.

there are several shops at the pier for shopping and a few foods to eat on the go, no real restaurants. Our guide said the pier area was 4 years old so it is still growing. There is the free pool as mentioned above, no shade so remember the sun screen, you'll need it!

you can catch a bus or taxi to a fishing village call Mahual( spelled wrong) I guess they have some shops and foods that are much cheaper than the ones at the port I think it is only about 1 1/2 miles to it. we didnt do this, but lots of people did. Some private tours start there, so many do go there.

mom x4,grandma x4

Archived