Stingray City/turtle farm/hell question.

andynlala

I'm trying to figure out the best way to see all 3 places. Should we book just the Stingray tour, than take a cab to the turtle farm and Hell, or should we book the whole thing as a tour/excursion. Also should we book through the cruiseline (RCI) or through one of the private ones like Nativeway?

:confused:

we did this back in 2002 and I am trying to remember. We booked Captain Marvin and did a 2 1/2 hour I believe which took us to Sting ray city and a very few minutes of snorkleing. We were able to get to the Turtle farm and Hell but I do not remember how we got there I believe we just took a cab for the 4 or us. I feel that Sting Ray city was well worth it but the turtle farm is just a place where they breed turtles to eat and they are just swimmming in tanks. Hell you just go to a very small post office send a couple of post cards from Hell and maybe buy a tee shirt. We got one that say's don't tell me to go to hell I just got back. Have a great time what ever you decide.

I've been to Grand Cayman 3 times and each time we just get off the ship and arrange something w/ a local driver / someone selling trips off the ship. We usually have 6 - 10 people in our group, so if it's just 2 of you, it may not work as well. Usually you can arrange to do 1, 2 or all 3 of the places you listed. They are kind of in the same area of the island. Hell really isn't anything to see - just a town called Hell and some volcanic rock. You can take a picture by a sign that says "Hell". Knowing what I know after visiting it, I would rather spend more time at Sting-Ray City, Turtle farm or the beach. Turtle farm is neat if you haven't been there - especially for kids as you can pick up the turtles and learn a little about them. I believe they have rum cake right there too that you can sample and buy. We usually do Turtle Farm first, then SR City, then get dropped off somewhere on 7 Mile Beach - and just catch a cab back to the ship when we are ready - about $5 pp for the return cab. It's a great day!

Would you be kind enough to help a very puzzled cruiser !

We are leaving on March 5th on Jewel of the Seas and during our stop at GC we are very keen to visit Stingray city/sandbar , (not bothered about further snorkelling) a short visit/photo op at Hell and then spend the rest of the day on 7 mile beach. On looking at private excursions the times dont seem to fit in with the Jewels docking times and their excursions all seem to spend quite a bit of time snorkelling after the sandbar. Can you please tell me if it is possible to just get off the ship and get a tour from there to SR etc or must these excursions be pre booked.

The more I read on the excursions the more confused I get lol

Thank you in advance

Happycruzer

P8257046.jpg

P8257068.jpg

P8257067-copy.jpg

P8257082.jpg

Enjoy your trip. Make sure you have pre-printed address labels with you to send cards from hell back home. Your stay at the gift store will be short. Have someone stand in the cashier line and someone picking out cards and t-shirts etc. Buy stamps as well!

Photocruiser

We have never been real scientific about it, we just get off the ship, talk to a few people and arrange a day w/ a driver. Like I said earlier, we are usually 6-10 people, which is usually enough to keep a driver happy for the day. If it's just two of you, you may arrange w/ some others that you meet on the ship, or find attempting to do the same thing on the pier. If you do the latter, be sure you talk about what people want to do / don't want to do before you arrange the driver. This way, assuming you are all interested in the same thing, you can direct the driver as to how much time you want to spend at each place. If a driver doesn't have his own boat (most probably won't), they will have friends / contacts that do and will get you on a SR City trip. Remember, while it's new to you, this is something they do every day. Have fun!

Thanx for the info. My husband and I have been to all 3 places before, but we are taking the kids, ages 8 & 11 for the first. So we want to make sure to get to all those stops. I know they will love all the places. I know that Hell is not a big deal, but I think the kids will think it's neat.

Archived