lobster and dinner question

hortige

Going on the celebration next month...first cruise.

We were not planning on going to the formal dinner, hubby only owns

khakis and no jacket and since my DD (even though shes 2) I can't fit in any of my dressy things anymore. Are khakis even allowed this night?

Is the formal night the only night you can get lobster, DH is really looking forward to lobster and so am I.

Also, what restaurants/areas are pay to eat, with so much 'free' food on board I don't think I will want to 'pay' to eat no matter how good it is, but don't want to go there and order thinking it is free.

I doubt they will turn your husband away for wearing khakis, though he will probably feel underdressed. Personally, I'd think that a shirt and tie with khakis is reasonable alternative, as most men will probably be wearing jackets or suits, not tuxes.

I don't think that the Celebration has too many options available for "paying" for food, but if you are on the lido or in the dining room, there is no fee for any food items ... drinks are another matter, however.

I don't know anything about the ship you are going on BUT on some ships there is a Supper Club which you can only go to if you make reservations & pay for with you S&S card prior to going there. So, don't worry about being charged anything for your meals if you stick to your assigned seating arrangements on your S&S card or if you go to the buffet or any of the other great places to eat on the ship. As far as lobster goes I think it is only on formal night. And you can order as many as you want by the way! I've heard there are people that get into formal nights without a jacket but most do wear them.....you can rent one if ya want!! I'm not a big people watcher while I'm busy eating so, I really couldn't help ya there...:D .. But I know that some of the more experienced cruisers in this forum will be writing in response the your questions & they will give you the best advice. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!:D

Yes, lobster (and prime rib) are served ONLY on formal night, and only in the formal dining room. The Celebration doesn't have a dinner club restaurant, so don't worry about that. I'd hate for y'all to miss those lobsters. Do you think your DH could borrow a suit - or at least a sportsjacket and tie - to wear for dinner? :confused:

I'd go with either renting a tux onboard or renting one from a reputable tux shop before you leave. We have done this twice for DH, and both times it's been great. He will be buying one this year, though.

Perhaps go with the rental option, if he's willing.

The rental would be a great idea, but since you need something for the both of you... try some of the "second time around" type of shops, there are some higher end stores out there where you can find some nice things for much less money. You can also try checking around for some good sales... I'd just look for a sports coat for him, and you can find a really nice dress for a bargain at this time of the year. Just look around... It's such a nice evening for family pictures, in a formal type setting... I think you guys would enjoy it!!

At the risk of getting flamed,

If you husband isnt the kind of guy to wear jackets/suits, he certainly wouldnt want to rent a tux........ Save your money.

My suggestion, is... Have your husband wear his khakis and a nice button down shirt to dinner..... Enjoy your lobster like everyone else.......

Ive never seen anyone get thrown out on formal night for dressing that way. He wont be in the majority, but he wont be the only one either.....

Im not suggesting everyone do that, but its not worth going out shopping and getting anxious.

A Carnival cruise isnt the same as a black tie wedding or a QE-2 cruise.

Relax and have fun, and dont let clothes stress you/him out.......

It costs around $90 to rent a tux. I have heard about people wearing jeans to formal night so you should be okay. I have seen and heard about people getting their food to go. They have covers they put on the plates and you can carry them back to your room or Lido deck.

As for your hubby ..... khakis, a dress shirt and tie sounds good....it's not jeans....

As for you .... If you have a Deb Shop nearby in the mall I just bought four formals there for my daughter and I and didn't spend $20 on anyone of them.....otherwise use what you have or borrow....don't miss lobster.

It costs around $90 to rent a tux. I have heard about people wearing jeans to formal night so you should be okay. I have seen and heard about people getting their food to go. They have covers they put on the plates and you can carry them back to your room or Lido deck.

It really depends on the circumstances... most of the time, people are not able to get food to go. We had someone very sick on our last cruise and it took some arm twisting, but we were able to. I don't think you could get something to go just because you didn't want to dress... but I guess for the right amount of $$$ you could get it done :D

Seriously, the lobster in the regular dining room, just isn't that great to me... I would never go out of my way to get it. I've had really great lobster, so maybe I am a little spoiled to good lobster... but I would not go through the hassle to get it... if I didn't want to dress up, I'd eat elsewhere on the ship. Just MHO.

Going on our first cruise in two weeks (expecting to do the doc dance tomorrow, as per my TA). My wife just bought 2 formal dresses at a second hand shop for $12.99 each. They both look brand new. As far as your hubby goes, there are all kinds of sport coats on ebay for reasonable prices. Just a couple of options.

I'd second what GoinCruisin said about the lobster ... don't go out of your way for it. I definitely wouldn't buy a suit or rent a tux just for that reason. Personally, I always have a suit ready to go (weddings, funerals, job interviews, and of course ... cruises), which is why I have a suit for formal nights.

OK..here's an idea from way out in left field..but ya never know it might work. Go to the roll call for your cruise...find somebody who has opposite diining assignmemts from yours...get to know thm through chat well enough to ask if maybe your hubby can borrow their hubby's jacket...!?!? As I said that came from WAY out there so, please don't throw those darts too hard:o

I would like to add that if I weren't cofident that your questions were answered, I wouln't write such a crazy suggestion. I'm only playing around & I apologize if I offended anyone. Enjoy your cruise & don't sweat the small stuff,ok?..."No problems, mon!"

Yeah I almost go 'caught' at work because I laughed out loud when I read your post and my cubie neighbor said what you laughing at...I am going on a cruise as a vacation and do not want to sweat it like I see some on the msg boards doing. Thanks to everyone for the quick answers (maybe I'm not the only one who is not working:cool: ) At least now I can tell DH that lobster is on formal night and maybe he will get a dark colored pair of slacks or warm to the idea of going that night...he thinks a vacation shouldn't be about get dressed and worried about wrinkled clothes.

I doubt they will turn your husband away for wearing khakis, though he will probably feel underdressed. Personally, I'd think that a shirt and tie with khakis is reasonable alternative, as most men will probably be wearing jackets or suits, not tuxes.

I don't think that the Celebration has too many options available for "paying" for food, but if you are on the lido or in the dining room, there is no fee for any food items ... drinks are another matter, however.

Your DH will definetly not feel underdressed at all. And he definetly will not be alone. My DH wears a brace on his arm so a jacket is very uncomfortable to wear so he wears khackis and a polo EVERY night. He is not alone. I would say %25 of the men do not wear jackets. Don't give it a second thought. Go and enjoy your DH will be welcomed in his khackis every night.

We're not talking 5 star cuisine here. If you don't have the clothes, I'd suggest forgoing renting/buying them and use your savings to get a good lobster dinner elsewhere (perhaps in the port city the night before your cruise if you are coming in a day early). It'll be more enjoyable and you won't have to fret about attire!

heres a thought...skip the dining room that night and order your lobster tails to the room..that is what a cruise is all about

Uh, no ... that won't be happening. Carnival does not serve meals to cabins, except for the items listed on the room service menu. Have you cruised with Carnival?;)

hortge---Try you local Goodwill. The one we have in Colorado Springs are awesome. Ihve found 3 suits for my sons there. 2 of them still had the tags on them. Ours even has wedding dresses and formals.

The OP originally said her husband didnt have a Suit or Jacket... Later she said that "he thinks a vacation shouldn't be about get dressed and worried about wrinkled clothes."

Deborahjo,

Im making an assumption here that you are suggesting they might want to consider Goodwill for clothes to get it cheaper than in a store because they may not be able to afford new clothes. Someone else suggested she shop at a second hand shop...A third suggested formalwear from the Deb Shop to save money...

Just my opinion, but it sounds like the guy simply doesnt like to wear jackets and suits, therefore he doesnt have one..... It's his personal fashion statement.

It might be construed as insulting to suggest he get a used one.

<This is just my interpretation of what Im reading.>

Anyone else?

The OP originally said her husband didnt have a Suit or Jacket... Later she said that "he thinks a vacation shouldn't be about get dressed and worried about wrinkled clothes."

Deborahjo,

Im making an assumption here that you are suggesting they might want to consider Goodwill for clothes to get it cheaper than in a store because they may not be able to afford new clothes. Someone else suggested she shop at a second hand shop...A third suggested formalwear from the Deb Shop to save money...

Just my opinion, but it sounds like the guy simply doesnt like to wear jackets and suits, therefore he doesnt have one..... It's his personal fashion statement.

Anyone else?

I totally agree

Deborahjo,

Anyone else?

I would hope the OP understood that nobody was being insulting... if one does not normally wear a jacket, and wouldn't have an occasion to wear one again, it wouldn't hurt to by one second-hand and not invest alot of money into one... it had nothing to do with what they could afford, they were merely suggestions so they wouldn't have to sink money into a suit... They are both looking forward to formal night, people were offering suggestions on how to purchase something that would at least be CLOSE to formal, without spending alot of money... they were just suggestions. And if he got one, he'd have something in the future to wear to a wedding, funeral, etc.

Archived