Need Clarification on Stingray Tours

cruisingwiththekids

We will be on Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas in late July and are looking at either the "Rays & Reef Combo" or "Stingray City Swim & Snorkel". We will have our two kids with us (7 & 10) and want to be able to stand in the water and feed/touch the stingray. After reading other reviews, I am concerned that the Rays & Reff Combo is in deeper water and that you just swim around with the stingrays in this one. I have seen great pictures of people holding the stingrays at the sandbar and want to make sure that the tour we take goes to the sandbar. Has anyone done the Rays & Reef Combo through Royal Caribbean and does it go to the sandbar? Here are the descriptions of each from Royal Caribbean's website:

Stingray City Swim & Snorkel

Approximate Duration: 3 Hours

Experience a once-in-a-lifetime adventure snorkeling with stingrays! After a short drive, you will join your snorkeling boat for the trip out to Stingray City Sandbar. En route, your instructor will give you a briefing on the equipment, safety tips and details about the stingrays (swim fins are not utilized to reduce sand disturbance). Then wade into the shallow water, where first-time and experienced snorkelers can become friendly with the Southern Rays. The rays will glide among the swimmers, giving you an opportunity to touch their satin-like wings and take photographs. Stingrays favorite food is squid, and you can try your hand at feeding them. You will spend approximately 45 minutes snorkeling. After a leisurely cruise back to the dock, buses will take you back to the Georgetown landing.

Note: Minimum age: 5. Guests 5 to 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.

Rays and Reef Combo

Approximate Duration: 3 Hours 15 Minutes

This is a combination of two of the most popular excursions in the Caymans. Stop at the Coral Gardens, to go snorkeling at one of the most beautiful sites in North Sound. Mask, fins, snorkel and floatation devices are provided. Enjoy great snorkeling, and if lucky, you may see Hector, the crew's pet moray eel. Depart the Coral Gardens and it's on to the famous Stingray City, as seen on National Geographic. Enter the water and swim or snorkel with these wondrous creatures. This is a great way to take in two of Grand Cayman's best natural experiences.

Note: The minimum age is 5 years old. Guests 5 to 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Further, please note that the average water depth is approximately 10 - 12 feet.

I too am wondering about this for a Disney cruise. Here is the descripton of the excursion I think goes to the sandbar:

Stingray City Snorkel Tour

Snorkel among the stingrays at world-famous Stingray City. Countless rays reside in 4 to 8 feet (based on tidal changes) of water on a natural sandbar fringed by a colorful reef.

Now does the sandbar really get to 8 feet, or is that just portions of it? Have 2 children who don't like going underwater, but would love it if they can stand with heads above the water.

I am not sure about the tidal influence on the sandbar area, when I was there it was only waist deep. My kids 8 and 10 were fine to just walk around. My 4 year-old wore a "floatie" to help keep her up - she can swim just not for long periods of time. As far as the reef- it is in deep water (away from the stingray area) and you will need to know how to swim, there was a stronger current at the reef as it is near the drop off area. To the best of my knowledge there is only one place to swim with the stingrays and that is the sandbar. The sandbar is very doable-even for a hesitant swimmer.

StingRay City sand bar is about stomach-high for most adults. The boats have to anchor in water that is a bit deeper, so when you get off the boat it might be over an adult's head, but you just swim a few yards to the shallower water. Some of these water depths depend on the waves as well. If it's a really windy day, which I have seen, then adults are getting splashed in the chest or face w/ some waves, which may be uncomfortable for kids. If they are at least comfortable being in the water, they'll be fine. I'm 35 and would do StingRay City all day, every day if I could. I just love the feeding / petting, etc... the rays - it's safe.

I have done the reef one time and unless you have never snorkeled in approx. 20 ft. water before, I recommend StingRay City alone. Our guide found a ray and brought it up to us, but other than that, it was snorkeling that you can do about anywhere in the Carrib. Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but I prefer more time w/ the rays since that's an option.

I would do the one that gives you the most time at SR City - which looks like the first one you have listed.

We did the Stingray City Swim & Snorkel this past December & loved it. The water was waist to chin high for me (5'2"). They have vests on board for the children and those others who want them, as well as snorkel gear. We saw many families out there who were having a great time.

We did the Rays and Reef Combo in Nov. with RCCL (we were on Enchantment) and would highly recomend this tour. The stingray portion was in hip to waist high water. I am 5'7" for a reference point. The guides were great, the boat was very nice and not overcrowded. We snorkled first, which was awesome, but in deeper water than the stingrays, then went over to the area where the rays were (the reef and stingrays are in close proximity of each other). We spent around an hour playing and feeding the rays. Everyone had a great time. Then, once we were back on the bus, you had your choice of being dropped at the beach, or going back into town. We got off at the beach (Seagrape) and that was great too. We had a good lunch of cheeseburgers and fries and napped in the chairs that we rented for $5 each. Around 2:30 we caught a taxi back to town (we arrived at the beach around 11:30). We had enough time to shop for souvenirs before tendering back to the boat. The main reason we chose to do this excursion through the ship rather than book it privately was because we wanted to be on the first tender off, and we were. It was our first (but definitely not last) cruise, as well as our first trip to Grand Cayman, and we did not want to miss one minute of shore time! We are planning another cruise in May with a group of friends, and we enjoyed this excursion so much that we plan on doing it again with them. They have a 15 year old daughter that I think will have an absolute ball! If you have any questions I will be happy to try and answer them. I had a lot of questions about our excursions before we went, and spent alot of time on here scouring threads to try and make decisions. But, I am a big planner, especially when it comes to vacation!

The Stingray sandbar is definately shallow water. I have been there twice and both times the water was about waist deep on an adult. No problems bringing kids or fearful swimmers on this one.

I have read, however, that there is another location, usually referred to as Stingray City which had deeper water (12 feet) and you swim about with the rays rather than standing on the sandbar. I haven't done this, but I have read accounts from people who say they have. From the descriptions you posted, they sound like two different experiences. The first mentions "wading" which implies shallow water, and the second clearly states deeper water. I would choose the sandbar experience for the most interaction with the rays, especially if you are concerned about swimming in deeper water.

We did the Rays and Reef Combo in Nov. with RCCL (we were on Enchantment) and would highly recomend this tour. The stingray portion was in hip to waist high water. I am 5'7" for a reference point. The guides were great, the boat was very nice and not overcrowded. We snorkled first, which was awesome, but in deeper water than the stingrays, then went over to the area where the rays were (the reef and stingrays are in close proximity of each other). We spent around an hour playing and feeding the rays. Everyone had a great time. Then, once we were back on the bus, you had your choice of being dropped at the beach, or going back into town. We got off at the beach (Seagrape) and that was great too. We had a good lunch of cheeseburgers and fries and napped in the chairs that we rented for $5 each. Around 2:30 we caught a taxi back to town (we arrived at the beach around 11:30). We had enough time to shop for souvenirs before tendering back to the boat. The main reason we chose to do this excursion through the ship rather than book it privately was because we wanted to be on the first tender off, and we were. It was our first (but definitely not last) cruise, as well as our first trip to Grand Cayman, and we did not want to miss one minute of shore time! We are planning another cruise in May with a group of friends, and we enjoyed this excursion so much that we plan on doing it again with them. They have a 15 year old daughter that I think will have an absolute ball! If you have any questions I will be happy to try and answer them. I had a lot of questions about our excursions before we went, and spent alot of time on here scouring threads to try and make decisions. But, I am a big planner, especially when it comes to vacation!

Thanks for the review, I am doing this excursion in about two weeks. Did you just do the Rays and Reef or did you do the Rays and Reef with Lunch Combo?

Archived