No Passport?

I got my DH and my passports in Jan of 2002. After 9-11,I decided the handwriting was on the wall,and sooner or later they would be "required",for all travel outside the U.S. As luck would have it,I got ours just a few months before they doubled the price of them. :) I was so proud of myself. Wow, I can't believe its been 4 years already,that I've had them.

The one thing that irks me tho, is even with the passport,you still have to show a drivers license. Airports and even sometimes on the ship,they still want to see your license. I thought one of the benefits of having a passport,was to cut down on the ID you needed to carry? :rolleyes:

Maybe when its a requirement for everybody to have a passport,they will stop asking for the DL. One can always hope.

Just do what I do, tell them sorry I don't have a drivers license. The passport is a government issued photo ID and is actually more reliable than any drivers license issued in this country.

I'm a holdout...my family and I don't have our passports yet. But, since it will supposedly be required by Jan 2007 (and we have a cruise scheduled for Jan 2007 also), I'll have to break down and pay out the $$$ for them sometime early this fall.

We've been on 2 cruises so far, and used drivers licenses/birth certificates as ID. I didn't notice any difference in the time that it took us as compared to the passport users.

This topic goes right up there with evening dress, walkie-talkies, etc. You will note there are zealots on both sides of this issue.

Passports can be a big expense for some and if you are not traveling for some time to come after this year, people should understand this concern.

The facts are that if where you are cruising doesn't currently need a passport and you return from your cruise by the end of this year you DO NOT need a passport. After that, you MUST have a passport for essentially all cruises. I believe the only exception to that wiil be NCL's Hawaii cruise where it never goes to a foreign port since it is a US registered ship and is not subject to the Jones Act.

As to whether you get through "faster", I am sure some have BUT as you can see below we have cruised some. We have never had a difference in processing without a PP. We have traveled with family and friends that have PP's and never experienced a delay relative to them. For those that have moved faster, is it seconds, minutes, hours, or days faster? I suspect we are talking a few minutes in those few cases and is a few minutes faster worth hundreds of dollars to a young family? I doubt it.

That being said, if you will be traveling beyond 2006, get them now and avoid the huge rush. Toward the end of this year, when people try to book cruises and other travel for next year, who do not currently have a passport, it will be interesting.

NO! You do not need a passport until January 1, 2008. I do not know the reason, but they, our government, moved the date back a year.:) So I think I will just wait until I need one. Somewhere around December 2007 I will apply for ours. Even with a rush, we never travel until summer. Six mounths should do it. :D :D :D

The three times I've been to Mexico, all chartered through Atlantis Events, all I've ever provided for immigration was my passport; I don't remember if I even took my driver's license with me. The more I think about it, I believe I left it at home.

NO! You do not need a passport until January 1, 2008. I do not know the reason, but they, our government, moved the date back a year.:) So I think I will just wait until I need one. Somewhere around December 2007 I will apply for ours. Even with a rush, we never travel until summer. Six mounths should do it. :D :D :D

All land crossing are by January 1, 2008, but air and sea is by January 1, 2007. I verified this with my TA, but we have our passports got them last November.

Christine

Please note that while the government may not require them prior to January of 2008, individual cruise lines may begin requiring them prior to that date. Because cruise lines are privatly owned they can and do have regulations abover and beyond those of the Government.

Cage Keeper - If you opt to rely on the dates you've stated, that is your business, but Sheltie Lady is correct, and the same passport web site (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html) that you refer to clearly states:

December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

You are ignoring the part of your own quote that says ALL -- you see, it is very EASY to travel by land to Mexico or Canada, so you are right, by Jan 1 2008 ALL of those destinations mentioned will require a passport. That does not mean that SOME of those won't require them sooner. They do. Just like the State Department web site says, air and sea travel to All Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada destinations will require a passport beginning Jan 1 2007.

We are going to Alaska...via Vancouver BC, Canada. No we may not NEED them...but , we got them (me+2 teens--S.O. already had one). I fugured they would without a doubt be easier (one doc to carry per person, birth cirts are all different and they may be subject to some scrutiny) and it absoultely proves you are a US citizen. Also, like prevously posted it is an official doc, that the US reconizes above the others. *Right choice for my family* costly, sure...but peice of mind is everything to me.

rgnok, you are right, the web site does say that. I was just trying to explain that there was an update. They moved it back a year. If you go to the link you posted, click on the right colom where it says "traveling to Caribbean and Bermuda" This will give you the new dates. I know we will need one for travel anywhere else in the world, but for now we don't need one for the Eastern Caribbean. Vacation 2007 will be the Grand Canyon so we won't need one for a few years.

SheltieLady, last summer we vacationed in your state. How bueatiful. I would live there in a heartbeat. Next summer,2007,after the Grand Canyon we want to go back to Zion and hike the Narrows from the top down. Last year we did the bottom up.:D

I thought I'd already thrown in my extra .02 cents worth in about an hour ago, but it hadn't shown up so I guess I didn't "close the loop".

For identification, all I take is my passport; I leave my driver's license at home where it belongs. I've never been asked for additional ID beyond my passport; that IS the idea behind this.

You should not post things like this unless you carefully read what was

posted earlier and have documentation that it is wrong. You can misinform someone badly.

Starting Dec. 31, 2006, yes 2006, all cruise and air passengers will need a passport. If you will be returning to the US after this date, no matter when you left you willl need the passport. The only posssible exception for US citizens is the NCL ship that is US registered and travels Hawaii and never visits a non US port.

The following is from the US Department of State website (link below)

"When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel. "

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

There has been no change to this plan!

Cage Keeper seems to be basing his misinformation on this document (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html) and not accepting the fact that, yes, the date is Jan 1 2008 for it to ALL be required, but the FACT is that it becomes required Jan 1 2007 for land and sea based arrivals, as shown in the link (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html) that I posted previously and that rjg41 posted.

Note that the link we've posted is to a more recent document than the one Cage Keeper seems to be relying on.

And Cage Keeper, if you are citing something other than that which I've assumed, please post a link so we can all see what you're seeing!

But maybe the real lesson here is - unless you know me and trust me, or you know and trust Cage Keeper, don't rely on what either one of us says -- get your information from whatever source you feel secure with :) !!

It's hard to understand that in this day and age, there are people who don't have a passport.

Having one sure speeds up the immigration process in a foreign country, as well as returning to the US. I even carry my passport flying into Mexico. Are they "required", not to Mexico or Canada, but again, it sure does make things easier.

Once you get yours, you won't have to worry about it for 10 years.

Hi Treven, this is off the subject - but - where did you get that colorful design in your aviator?

Please, rjg41 and rgnok, I could take your comments as an insult, but the good natured person that I am, I won't;) . If you go to the home page for travel.state.gov, the document I am refering to is under "New Requirements for Travlers". If this is wrong, please don't blame me, blame who ever put this document on the Gov. website. This states "The Intelligence Reform and terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to faciliate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases folling a proposed timeline, which will be published in the near future.":rolleyes:

Notice the word "proposing". The document you found is indeed also on this same web site under frequently asked questions about new travel documents. Also says "proposed":rolleyes: . So, seems we are both subject to some confusing information.:(

Also I am a hers, not his. Also found an article about giving out ID cards, simular to DL for the land crossings instead of passports. Still in the workings. That article was dated 1,22,2006. Thank you for your time. I'm still undecied about getting my passport now or waiting.:)

Please, rjg41 and rgnok, I could take your comments as an insult, but the good natured person that I am, I won't;) . If you go to the home page for travel.state.gov, the document I am refering to is under "New Requirements for Travlers". If this is wrong, please don't blame me, blame who ever put this document on the Gov. website. This states "The Intelligence Reform and terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to faciliate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases folling a proposed timeline, which will be published in the near future.":rolleyes:

Notice the word "proposing". The document you found is indeed also on this same web site under frequently asked questions about new travel documents. Also says "proposed":rolleyes: . So, seems we are both subject to some confusing information.:(

Also I am a hers, not his. Also found an article about giving out ID cards, simular to DL for the land crossings instead of passports. Still in the workings. That article was dated 1,22,2006. Thank you for your time. I'm still undecied about getting my passport now or waiting.:)

Well, after searching under the sites you just referenced (faq's), it seems to me that the requirements for CRUISING to Mexico/Bahamas/Caribbean are that a passport is needed on/after December 31, 2006. I interpret this to mean anyone taking a caribbean cruise in 2007 or later better apply for that passport. I'd rather err on the side of caution and go with the earlier date referenced on the official site. It would really suck to be turned away at the pier simply because I didn't want to part with $97. Just MHO.

Yes it is a beutiful state, right now the northern end of our state is blanked in white we had a big snow storm come thru yesterday, with more coming in for the weekend.

Christine

rgnok, you are right, the web site does say that. I was just trying to explain that there was an update. They moved it back a year. If you go to the link you posted, click on the right colom where it says "traveling to Caribbean and Bermuda" This will give you the new dates. I know we will need one for travel anywhere else in the world, but for now we don't need one for the Eastern Caribbean. Vacation 2007 will be the Grand Canyon so we won't need one for a few years.

SheltieLady, last summer we vacationed in your state. How bueatiful. I would live there in a heartbeat. Next summer,2007,after the Grand Canyon we want to go back to Zion and hike the Narrows from the top down. Last year we did the bottom up.:D

Cruisin & parrot, you should have it by now.

Actually, all you had to do was right click on the avatar then select "save as". Save it to your computer then when you wish to use this avatar, go into the control panel on cruise critic and load this particular file.

Archived