transportation from fort lauderdale to miami port

vtsnowflake

My husband and I are trying to find the most economical way to get to the miami cruise port from Fort Lauderdale. We are flying in 2 days before our cruise and were told we can not purchase transfers unless we are coming in the day of our cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions?

ebrener, We are staying with family in lauderdale, but they aren't able to take us to the cruise port. We had considered renting a car, but not knowing our way around miami we were sceptical to do so. We heard if you make a wrong turn downtown Miami it can be really unsafe. I don't know. Thank you for the suggestion. Karen, Thank you for the suggestion about the shuttle. Do you know if you would have to have rented a car to use it?

We're also flying into FLL and staying a day before and leaving out of the port at Miami.

We checked many options, the least expensive and most convenient for us is definitely a rental car.

You can rent a car at FLL and keep it until the day you leave. You can drop it at Miami airport and they will shuttle you for free to the Port. Just do the opposite when you disembark.

There are at least three major car rental companies that have shuttles. I believe they are Dollar, Budget, and Alamo.

Enjoy your cruise!

Karen in Kentucky

Depending where you are staying in Ft Lauderdale, a cab is going to cost you $70+. A limo, more.

I'd rent a car.

As a single woman, I've driven around Miami countless times, by myself, with the top down.... having a grand old time. Yes, I've driven through some less than lovely areas.. and never a problem.

Mapquest directions btw are right on the money.

You can drop the car at the airport, and take a shuttle to the port.. or a cab.

You can't get lost getting to MIA... it is so well marked.

A rental car is the best way, but you could have your relatives drop you off at the baggage claim area of the Fort Lauderdale airport, and then just walk over to Tri-County for their shared ride service to the Port of Miami which costs $18 pp. http://www.floridalimo.com I really don't think they will care whether you arrived that same day or not.

ebrener, We are staying with family in lauderdale, but they aren't able to take us to the cruise port. We had considered renting a car, but not knowing our way around miami we were sceptical to do so. We heard if you make a wrong turn downtown Miami it can be really unsafe. I don't know. Thank you for the suggestion. Karen, Thank you for the suggestion about the shuttle. Do you know if you would have to have rented a car to use it?

it's true that parts of Miami are not that safe. If you're going to stay around Fort Lauderdale, you should have no problems. When going into Miami, just avoid the zone around the Orange Bowl and Liberty City and you'll be fine. There's not much to see downtown, but you'll be safe going to South Beach and other tourist friendly areas. When going to the port, just fill up the tank before leaving and take one of the highways into the airport (coming from Fort Lauderdale, this will most likely be I-95 South to Hwy. 112 West, which leaves you right at the airport).

Regards,

Enrique

Archived