Boatyard or Accra Beach

Perky1

HI All.

While Boatyard is closer, the 2 place are different. Boatyard is an actual place located on Carlisle Bay. You pay an entrance fee and then you have the use of the restaurant/bar/beach facilities - chairs, umbrellas, water toys etc. You do get your entrance fee back in chits to use at the bar. The beach itself is public so anyone and everyone can enjoy that section of the beach they just don't have use of the chairs/umbrellas etc.

Accra Beach is actually Rockley beach but we all call it Accra because there is the Accra Beach Hotel right on the beach. It's a nice stretch of beach. at one end there is the Sugar Reef open air restaurant and in the middle of the area are vendor area for buying souveniers as well as a food area. There is also a beach facility with showers, toilets and a playground area.

Take your pick.. my choice is always Accra/Rockley Beach.. but I'll leave that choice to you.

Enjoy your day.

We are looking for something to do for the day in Barbados. We are trying to decide between catching a cab to the Boatyard or Accra Beach. Which one is closer to the pier? Could someone please advise us?

Went to Accra last Thursday. Rented chairs & umbrella in front of the Sugar Reef Rest. . Great food & service. Just wave your blue flag and your waiter is there. Loved the beach and waves. Nice spot for the small children also, next to the small jetty. Enjoyed talking to the young man who climbed up the coconut tree and gave me and my wife some iced coconut water. I recommend this to friends.

go to the boatyard!!! you can see it from the docking area as soon as you come out of the shopping mall and it is in walking distance if you don't mind about a 20 minute walk, the taxi's in Barbados are very expensive. Accra beach in my opinion is a bit dirty and alot of locals hang out there, really nothing to do except lay on the beach and fight off venders. The boatyard has a bar and resturant also lot of beach toys to rent, water trampolines and snorkeling. I have an 11, 18 & 19 year old kids and they all love the boatyard.

hope this helps and have fun.

Hi everyone

I just wanted to add one thing Caribbean dreams talks about Accra being dirty and having allot of vendors. I specifically tell visitors to go to the top of the beach in front of sugar reef to avoid the vendors and the beach is not dirty.

The funny thing is the Boatyard and its surrounding beach area has become known in more recent time for people not only trying to push stuff at you but also for trying to rip you off.

Truthfully Sugar reef and Boat Yard cater to 2 different types of Crowd Boat yard is a party scene and Sugar Reef Relax refresh and enjoy. I am a Refresh and Relax girl myself :)

:)

Can you rent jet skis?

I have heard discussion about the Sugar Reef Restaurant and the waiters - is this a restaurant or do they also have a bar/bar waiters as well?

Went there last Thursday, it's a good size restaurant with a bar. They had it dressed up real nice for Valentines week. Food & service was very good. The bar waiter is the guy who taxis the drinks on the beach. They have a separate waiter for dinner.

OPSoccermomCan you rent jet skis?

I have heard discussion about the Sugar Reef Restaurant and the waiters - is this a restaurant or do they also have a bar/bar waiters as well?

I do not ever remember seeing jet skis on the beach :) That makes me happy you can swim sun snorkel and relax in peace. Where there are jet skis there are also beach bums (not the nice kind) push vendors and noise:(

I totally agree with Sarah. Accra/Rockley Beach is a great beach.. no Beach toys, no distractions.. just the water and the beach.. and ok.. a nice place to eat.. 2 actually.. Sugar Reef and De Rock (one of the Kiosks by the Beach Facilities). I've never been asked to buy anything or been approached by any shady people.

Re the Jet Ski Question.. I've seen them out beyond the reef at Accra..not sure where they start from, probably down by Sandy Beach/Worthing Beach, but I don't believe I've ever seen them come on the beach at Accra.

The 6 of us went to Accra/ sugar reef during our stop in Barbados. Was only a 6 dollar per person cab ride each way and our driver didn't want us to pay anything until the ride back to the ship. Nice guy and only a 10 - 15 min drive there. rented chairs and umbrellas ate and drank , really inexpensive, Rickie was our waiter and he couldn't be more accomodating, had a graet day and for a great price.

We were in Barbados last week and went to Accra Beach and could not have been happier....it was one of the highlights of the trip. We went straight to Sugar Reef Restaurant where Ricky, (the restaurant/beach waiter) set us up with chairs and umbrella's and a flag to wave when we wanted drinks.....all of this for a very reasonable price. We then had lunch at the restaurant and it was excellent, the flying fish sandwich was great. Would absolutely recommend Accra beach.

Archived