Stingray City Scaredy Cat

Binney

I have been to Stringray City...don't worry, they will not sting you. They are very 'tame' to say the least. I did it, didn't like it --they still creeped me out, but I am glad I tried it! The group I was with had a wonderful time, touched them and fed them. I loved the view from the boat! :)

There is no way they'll hurt you. Just don't step on their tails and she'll be fine. I was a little nervous too, but after awhile it was so cool. One of them even swam right by me and massaged my butt! They're really gentle, even though most of them are huge, and all they really want is to be played with, petted and fed! They're just like big playful, swimming dogs imo.

We have done Stingray City and it was as Gross as it was COOL!! I can understand her apprehension. They are BIG there and a little intimidating.

We are booked for a swim with the Stingrays ourselves this coming March. Our kids don't even know that they are going on the cruise, let alone to SC! Now, since DH and I have done it before, our DD-9 said that she would NEVER do that! Ish, yuck, no way were some of the words that she used. I told her that if we should ever go there as a family (still keeping the secret...) I would want her to come, but told her that she doesn't have to get off the boat. I just don't want her to miss out on that oppty in case she would change her mind!! That is our plan.

Take her on the excursion. If she doesn't want to get off the boat in to the water, I wouldn't make her. Just show her how much fun it really is, and she may be intrigued enough to give it a try with your help in the water!! The guides are really good at calming adults (even the men that have been known to scream like little girls the first time they encounter the stingrays!! hahaha!!! :D ) and they will, I am sure, give your DD the calm that she may need. It's always easier to try something new when a "teacher" is the one that is trying to convince the one, rather than a loved one. At least that is my/our experience. Our kids will usually try new things if it isn't US trying to do the convincing!!!

Just insist that she go, assuring her that she doesn't have to get in the water if she doesn't want to...you just want her to be there in case she would have a change of heart!!!

Good luck!! It's a blast!!!! And these Stingrays are wonderfully gentle creatures...and like that RCCL commercial used to say, they really do feel like big Portobello mushrooms!!!

Another option is to offer to hold her while you are in the water. Sting rays don't "sting". They have a barb in their tail that they will use to defend themselves if attacked. They have no teeth, so they cannot bite. No one is forced to get in the water, and those in the water can feed them (the rays suck the food out of your hand) if they choose.

I hope you booked privately, because she would have a better experience on a smaller charter as opposed to Carnivals cattle barges.

I was there last October. The pictures of me are as priceless as they are embarrassing (I squealed like a girl :D !) The water was only up to my chest, but it was very wavy due to Wilma and Beta, so I had a hard time holding my position on the bottom.

They truly are amazing creatures. As freaky as the experience was, I would never have wanted to have missed it.

I hope you booked privately, because she would have a better experience on a smaller charter as opposed to Carnivals cattle barges.

Won't this be the same part of the sea at the same time -ish? I don't think the stingrays know the difference between tours. I am merely paying Carnival instead of another operator. I have been on many, many excursions through Carnival and have never felt like "cattle." Frankly I believe I am treated very well by all the tour operators as they must answer directly to Carnival if there is a problem.

I guess my short answer is...MOO!

Very cool! I had a thong on and a Stingray the size of a VW Bus was my first encounter and it slide right against my butt. After that, nothing phased me , lol. My son wouldn't get off the boat and didn't have to. At least he got to see them. I didn't feed them but my husband did and loved it. I couldn't keep my balance , the water was rough that day and I did step right on a tail. Didn't get stung. Scared me and I heard a crunch but no sting. We would do it again in a heartbeat! She doesn't have to get off the boat to enjoy it!

Won't this be the same part of the sea at the same time -ish? I don't think the stingrays know the difference between tours. I am merely paying Carnival instead of another operator. I have been on many, many excursions through Carnival and have never felt like "cattle." Frankly I believe I am treated very well by all the tour operators as they must answer directly to Carnival if there is a problem.

Well, the private tour operators usually get you there before the ship does. We left about an hour before the ship's tour did, IIRC. Also when we went we had 12 people and 3 staff - that's a 4-1 staff/person ratio.

Yes, you are paying Carnival instead of another operator, but you are paying Carnival more than you would a private tour operator and likely getting less. That of course is your choice.

We went with Nativeways, had 12 people, and paid $60 each for a 3 stop tour which included lunch. I think this is a great deal.

We did the stingrays in Nassau but I'm sure it's similar....these rays are so use to people that is why they come back everyday... they know they will get fed and get attention....tell your daughter my kids did it and they weren't sure about it.,...they both ended up holding them and getting their pictures taken.....feeding them tickles they suck it right off your hand and then they stop for a couple seconds and then you can feel their bellies...it was an incredible experience;)

None taken. Not withstanding the lower cost of the independent tours, the reason I say this is because of the experience I had with our independent.

There were 8 of us on the boat with two guides. We got to Stingray city before the Carnival tours arrived and spent 45 minutes in the water alone with the rays before 200 other people showed up. Our guides were standing right with our small group in the water, talking us through the process and helping everyone out. Simple logistics dictate that the ratio of 1 guide to 4 tourists equals more individualized attention.

Same place, same stingrays, but a totally different experience.

I was going to suggest looking into a private tour as well.

I have done both ship excursions and private excursions and No...I don't think that in all instances it is the same.

When you use the private tour opertaors for StingRay City it is very different experience. We used NativeWay last April. There were only 25 people on the boat. They took us a to a spot and we while we could see the Ship excursion we were not near them. There were several guides in the water with us making the ratio of guide to person much smaller than on the Ship excursion. Each person had the opportunity to have individual attention with a guide for a long time. The guides held a stingray and gave each person the opportunity to touch them, have them rubbed against their back and feed them. There were several squeemish people on the excursion (my 12 y.o. DD was one) and the guide gave them extra special attention. My daughter was assisted by a guide as soon as she got off the boat and he hung with her for a few minutes until she was comfortable.

In some cases I take a ship excursion in others I opt to book privately. StingRay City with children I would definetly book privately!

No one will force your daughter into the water. She is welcome to watch from the boat where she will have a great view and may even decide she wants to come in. I was a little apprehensive, and screamed something fierce when I stepped on the boat's anchor chain and thought it was a ray. Within a few minutes, however, I was completely enchanted. My 5 yr old son first came into the water in our arms, but soon wanted to be in the thick of things just like everyone else.

The rays reminded me of house cats who rub on your legs and nudge your hands to be petted and fed. :)

I'll see if I can link you to our stingray pics. they might help.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fridayeyes/album?.dir=4170

Let me know if it doesn't work. FYI, the dolphin pics are from the Cozumel dolphin encounter.

Cheers,

Friday

I agree with telling her she can stay on the boat. When we went last year, I stayed on the boat most of the time (I was in charge of a not waterproof camera!) but was joined by my 5yo who really was uncomfortable with the rays. But he enjoyed watching the others.

:D GREAT pics Friday!!!!!!! :D

Thanks too to everyone talking about their great experience with NativeWay!! That is who we are booked with in March! I can't wait! Last time we went with CCL, this time private...I am soooo looking forward to the more individualized attention!!

Except the groups will likely be smaller and you might get more personal attention in the water, especially if your dd's scared.

Big puppies is the best description. People worry about being stung but it so rarely happens, especially with all those people in the water, that it's almost unheard of.

Still she can stay on the boat till she is ready. No one is going to push her off. Just being there, in the warm sun, watching, is still wonderful.

I love Stingray City. I did my first open water dive there and make a point to get there as often as I can. I cannot speak highly enough about it. Not so fond of Grand Cayman proper (OK I was there for a week when I was 17. BORING!) but stingray city? Oh priceless!

I'm 25 and I hate the stingrays, I was so scared! But, tell her they won't hurt you. The size is very intimidating but they won't bother you. The most contact you'll have with them (if any) is if they swim next to you and brush against your leg. They're gentle.

Oh, and to add to it I totally cried the first tme I was around them, back in 2002. If that makes her feel any better to know that she can be braver than me, then feel free to share. I'm just a big baby.

DH and I are booked for April 2007 and in order to get him to agree to go, one of the things I had to do was promise a Mayan ruin tour. In exchange for 7.5 hours of hot and sticky jungle treks, I'm making him to Stingray City in GC also. I wanted to do something in the water and figured the sandbar would be good because he says he isn't a strong swimmer. Reading all these stories of everyone's experience has really made me look forward to this even more!! I'm thinking of going with Capt Marvin though...(2.5 hour tour I'll not worry about booking with the ship. 7.5 hour tour I will because we're only there for about 9 hours)

Have fun!! :)

DH and I are booked for April 2007 and in order to get him to agree to go, one of the things I had to do was promise a Mayan ruin tour. In exchange for 7.5 hours of hot and sticky jungle treks, I'm making him to Stingray City in GC also. I wanted to do something in the water and figured the sandbar would be good because he says he isn't a strong swimmer. Reading all these stories of everyone's experience has really made me look forward to this even more!! I'm thinking of going with Capt Marvin though...(2.5 hour tour I'll not worry about booking with the ship. 7.5 hour tour I will because we're only there for about 9 hours)

Have fun!! :)

We used Captain Marvins and it was great. I hope you have Chester. He was a great guide and hot too!

Once on board the ship, pull up the various stingray shore excursions on TV and have your daughter watch the marketing video clips. These will give here an excellent idea of what to expect, and then she can make up her mind to stay on the boat or get off once there. (If the live videos aren't on the "book a shore excursion" channel, then they are somewhere else. They loop constantly, so I'm sure you'll stumble across it.)

My wife had no intention of touching "those things", but got in the water and felt safe hiding behind the other passengers on the sandbar. Eventually she even gave one a kiss for good luck, but would NOT feed them, because they really come after that food once you hold it in the water!

BTW, we went on Sotos tours on a smaller, 1-level boat with only 12 people and had a great time. She might prefer a Carnival one with more people though so she can feel like there's 'safety in numbers' and those mean stingrays won't pick her out of the larger group. Whichever, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Archived