help quick: how many formal nights on Jewel?

2boyzmom

Formal nights on all NCL ships are OPTIONAL. You can wear resort casual every night in every dining room if you want to leave some of that stuff at home. Polo shirts and kahki pants is all you need! Only about 40% dress up even on the optional formal nights and that ranges from tuxes to shirt and tie.

and to answer your question, no one sticks out on any night on NCL. That is the joy of freestyle, to dress as you want and when you want!!

Before someone asks the question how many formal nights on cruises longer than 7 days, here's the answer from NCL's FAQ:

Freestyle Cruising gives you the freedom to dress as you please. So come as you are. No need to check for a suggested dress code in the ship's Freestyle Daily as you would on traditional cruises. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. If you like, you can slip into a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, a skirt and blouse or a sundress for dinner. We do not allow jeans, T-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of the restaurants at dinner.

For those who do love to dress to the nines and get that annual formal portrait photography done, there is one optional formal evening in at least one of the main restaurants on every cruise; at least two formal evenings on longer cruises. This means black tie or dark suit for gentlemen and evening gown or cocktail dress for ladies. But remember, on formal evenings you can always choose to dine in one of the other restaurants instead and enjoy some of the other lounges and leave your dressier clothes at home.

In warm climates, shorts, slacks, sundresses, jeans and tops - and of course a swimsuit and cover-up are all appropriate daytime attire. Air conditioning can feel chilly, so pack a sweater. Because weather is difficult to predict, in cooler climates dressing in layers is the best approach. Be sure to bring a pair of comfortable walking shoes, too. Other essentials: sunglasses, a sun hat or visor and sunscreen.

Sea days are traditionally formal nights. The last ten day cruise I was on (Dawn 01/12) featured only two formal nights. I didn't care and dressed up in formal attire on most nights. :)

Now before someone accuses me of being one of those hardcore dress code fanatics, let me say this. I'm not. I like the choice and thus prefer freestyle. :) I was NOT pleased to see young ladies in the Venetian wearing jeans though. That is completely out of place regardless of dress code options. :mad:

There is something called tradition. Don't kill it off...too fast.

LOL at the "air conditioning can feel chilly" remark. NEVER had that problem. If anything it's too warm in the restaurants.

Cheers,

Norman

Archived