Cameras with tri-pods?

sobore

I've taken a tripod with me on our last cruise. I never used it outside the cabin, got a great formal night pic. I'd be leary of using it on deck, all the people, bump bang crash goes the camera. Now if it's early am you might want to try.

I've never seen a guided photo op session. Just make sure you take pics of everything, who cares if you look silly taking pics of a bench or a tree, I've done it. And if you have a digital camera, well go through them at night and delete the ones you don't like. Go snap happy. Last cruise I kept 298 pics, and took 1.5 - 2 hours of video.

I've taken a small tripod with me on my last 3 cruises and never had occasion to use it. The only people I've seen using one are the professional photographers that do the formal night photos.

I haven't seen a guided photo-op being offered.....but sometimes you can create one if you are lucky. My recent experience has been with Princess Cruise Line (but other lines probably do something similar). Princess has several staff photographers on board....in the evenings they generally work in the Photo Center or wander around the ship taking 'candid' photos. But during the day many of them go out on various shore excursions. If you are lucky enough to be on a shore excusion with one of them you may be able to 'attach' yourself to them get some pointers on what to shoot and how to shoot it. My experience, on two different occasions, was that they like talking about photography and sharing their knowledge of the subject.

This works well if the person has been on this excursion before. If it is their first time on the excursion then they may not be of any real help.

I take a Velbon UltraMaxi with the pan/tilt head. It' only 12" folded and 5'+ open. It weighs less than 2 lbs and travels well. It's a little light for my SLR with a tele, but for a compact digicam like my Minolta A2, it's great. I find that I use it for onboard photos of the ship interior or the exterior at dawn or dusk. As for it being a no-no, just have common courtesy and don't set it up in a crowded area or anything. While walking about on tours, I've almost never had occasion to use it, but I carry it anyway!:D

Most tours have time for photo stops included in them. Check the ports-of-call boards and ask people to recommend the best tours for photos.

The photo bar in by signature is a link to some of my travel photos...taken with and without tripod! Feel free to browse.

Dave

We always found people willing to take our picture with our camera. Most people don't mind if you ask them and one less thing to pack is always good.

Just be sure you pick someone that you can outrun if need be!:D

Dave

Archived