Sotos Stingrays

winmo

Just got back from Grand Cayman aboard the Carnival Conquest last week and wanted to pass on info while its fresh in my head. In Grand Cayman, the currents were bad the day we got in, so the ship had to go around to the opposite side of the island. We took tenders to a smaller dock area here, but it wasn't a problem at all because all of the excursions knew what was going on and picked everyone up at this other location. The only problem was for people wanting to shop in GeorgeTown because here they were on the opposite side of the island and had to pay for a taxi ride to shopping.

After much searching of advice on this website, we finally e-mailed Sotos & Nativeway just 5 days before leaving on the cruise. Sotos responded first by a day, answered all of our questions about different cancellation scenarios and refunds, so we went with them. Plus, at $30 for Snorkling at Coral Gardens and swimming with the Singrays, they were a little cheaper than everyone else. We also liked the fact that we could book our tour through their website without having to make a long distance call or fax them our CC number. Website is www.sotoscruises.com

We signed up for the morning tour and were able to get on the first tender to shore (after 2 or 3 others that were taking only people who booked excursions directly through Carnival.) I would suggest sending someone from your party down to the ship's lounge ASAP when it opens that morning, so they can get tender stickers for everyone. As long as everyone else is just a few minutes behind, you should be good. (I would NOT suggest getting tender stickers and then going to eat or going back to your cabin, because you could miss being called...those announcements are only heard IN the lounge.)

We were brought on shore into a fenced area with a small information building and some bathrooms. We found one of the customs workers (or whoever) their and told them we were booked with Sotos. They called Sotos up directly for us, and Sotos driver arrived within 5-10 minutes to pick us all up and take us back to the other side of the island to board the boat. The driver was very friendly and we road in a nice 15 passenger van.

When we got to a small building (that looked like their house/office), we had to sign waiver forms, pay in cash, and try on our snorkling equipment. Then we boarded the boat which was a 1-level boat with lots of padded bench-type seating, a bathroom, and two 5-gallon jugs (1 with fruit punch and 1 with water). The ride out to Coral Gardens where we snokeled took maybe 20 minutes. We stayed there at least 1/2 hour, which seemed to be the perfect amount of time for most people, but I admit I could have stayed there all day! The water there was nice, clear, and maybe 10'+ deep. Saw lots of small, colorful fish, 1 stingray, various bunches of coral, and a gar (which looks like, but is NOT a small barracuda). We did not see the tame eel or the small nurse shark that a lot of people talk about. I don't know if that's because we went to an alternate location because of the strong currents, or if Sotos just doesn't do that. The crew stayed on board at this area, but supplied passengers with lifejackets if they wanted them, and always kept a close eye on us. We were the only boat around.

After that we took an approx. 5 min. ride to a Sandbar that had 3 or 4 other very large boats there. The water was only 3' deep here, but the waves were pretty strong when we were there. No one was pressured to, but everyone got out of the boat at this point. The guy swam over and brought a stingray back to our group, and the lady was in the water taking lots of digital pictures. We each had the opportunity to pet, feed, hold, kiss, and get backrubs from that stingray, while others swam around us nearby (once they caught scent of the food.)

The digital pictures she took were very good, clear, and close-up. We were offered a CD (which they were going to mail us) of 10 of our pictures for around $40. The normal price was supposedly $65. They did NOT take a video, so if you really want one, you'll have to look into other tours. We didn't buy the pictures, and are hoping our disposable, waterproof camera did its job!

The whole time on the boat was maybe 2 hours, and everyone seemed to think it was well worth it. Once we got back, the driver took us back to where we got our tender to the ship, but dropped other people in GeorgeTown to shop or at a hotel along 7-mile beach.

Other people on the ship went independently with Nativeway, Captain Marvin's, and others and all seemed to have a great time and were willing to recommend them. From what we saw, the excursions through Carnival were using "Kelly's Watersports" and were on very large, double-decker boats. I guess it depends on what you want to do that day in addition to the stingrays (snorkel, turtles, hell, etc.) and if you feel better in larger or smaller groups.

Hope this helps someone out there. If you're taking the Conquest to Cayman, I have the start of a more complete ship/week review at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=298315

if the link works. Otherwise just click on my screenname and look for my "Thanks for the Info" thread.

Hi Winmo.

Thank you for this great information. I am booked with Sotos March 2 and was concerned about getting off the boat in time, but I am on RCCL Mariner. I hope they let me get a tender early so I can make it on time. I hope it will be easy to find Sotos and I also hope they won;t charge me if I can;t get off the boat in time, I couldn't get a clear cut answer.

Thanks again

We were on the Mariner last June, and had no problems making the Soto's AM excursion in time. We had a greattime. I had e-mailed Kerry ahead of time about wanting a videographer on board. We loved the DVD we purchased. We would definitely use Soto's again.

Thanks for the review. We have a private charter with Soto's this August, and we can't wait.

Could you please comment on the steps into the water. Last year (with a different company), the ladder was skinny, and straight down, so my mom didn't go into the water. From all of the pictures, it appears that Soto's has a drop deck, and a more sturdy ladder. Thanks!

Thanks, I think I am ready to cancel my sting ray tour with carnival and rebook. I've already canceled other tours, a newby mistake, I booked early....I want to book a smaller outfit, not the double decker types. So...you didn't pay in advance? If the port of call is canceled will you get a refund? thanks much!:)

Thanks, I think I am ready to cancel my sting ray tour with carnival and rebook. I've already canceled other tours, a newby mistake, I booked early....I want to book a smaller outfit, not the double decker types. So...you didn't pay in advance? If the port of call is canceled will you get a refund? thanks much!:)

You pay Soto's when you get to their building. They take a CC number in advance for the reservation and to charge if you do not show up after the tenders arrive. If the port is cancelled or if the tenders cannot bring people ashore due to bad weather then there is no charge.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived