Insurance Uncertainty

WestonOne

For every cruise I have taken before, I have used insurance provided as part of my bank account.  

I have been reading the insurance requirements for my next trip and it says this:

When travelling with us, your insurance must include medical cover of £2 million minimum and cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to COVID-19. You must also ensure your policy includes cover for repatriation, cancellation and curtailment and full cover for any and all pre-existing medical conditions worldwide, or as a minimum, in the countries you are due to visit.

That ‘emergency evacuation’ term is bothering me.  While my policy covers cruises, £10 million of medical cover, repatriation, cancellation and curtailment and so on, I cannot find the phrase ‘emergency evacuation’ anywhere in the policy.     It may be fuss about nothing, but the cruise line also says:

It is your responsibility to ensure you have appropriate cover in place. Unfortunately you will be denied boarding, at your own expense, if you do not arrange insurance.

Then my insurance says:
You must ensure you meet all the conditions of carriage for your cruise provider
which presumably includes this ‘emergency evacuation’ condition.

So I will have to contact my insurance company, get the fact it is covered in writing or, alternatively, buy a new insurance from the company recommended by the cruise line specially.  It looks like we could be refused entry if we cannot prove we are covered for emergency evacuation, even though we have a very extensive insurance. Should I spend another £250 (approximately.) just to get those two magic words?

Can anyone comment on the acceptability of insurance provided by bank accounts?  Specifically, NatWest Black Travel Insurance if possible?

Edited by WestonOne
typos

This was discussed many times prior to the start of the Staycation cruises, you should find loads of useful information in this thread...

You are correct in that you need to double check with your Bank that the cover they provide meets P&O's requirement and that it is documented as such in their policy document, or in any endorsement document they may provide.

The P&O Insurance is ridiculously expensive and there are many other companies out there that will offer much more competitive quotes for the same or better cover.  A lot of us have used StaySure, but you will see others mentioned in the thread I posted.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

I posted this on that previous thread which I did for RBS Platinum account which may help those with RBS or NatWest accounts. 

If you want a downloadable letter, log into your account, click on the travel insurance " use benefit".  

This opens an important information page re: Covid.   There is a "confirmation of cover" box which shows details of the Insured people/account holder and cover.

Then click to download "confirmation of cover document" just above that.  This doc sets out the cover personalised to you with the important paragraphs below:

UK Cruise

As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic some UK cruise providers now require travel insurance to provide at least £2,000,000 of cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs. In response to this change we are extending our limit for UK cruises departing in 2021.

This policy will provide cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs up to £10,000,000 when you are travelling on a UK cruise that departs in 2021. The cruise duration must be for a minimum of 2 nights for cover to apply.

You must ensure you meet all the conditions of carriage for your cruise provider.