Diving the Caribbean

SantaAna,CA

Hi, all. I'm taking a cruise of the Eastern Caribbean (St. John, St. Martin, Martinique, Virgin Gorda, St. Bart's...) in April. I've booked tentative dives online with different dive shops. I'm hauling all my own equipment with me, but I haven't been diving in years (I'm taking refresher courses before I leave) and wonder if more seasoned Caribbean divers can tell me what to take on the dive boats, other than my gear. What do you wear over your swimsuit, before you put on your wetsuit, just shorts and a top? Also, what other things, other than the obvious gear, fins, mask, etc., would you suggest I take with me? Also, my travel dive bag is humongous, but I've got a smaller, mesh bag to take on the dive boats. Good idea? Any other advice welcome, thank you!

Jane :)

Jane:

Yes, we wear T-shirts and shorts on top of swimsuit. We don wetsuits over swimsuits during boatride to 1st dive.

1. Your cabin's beach towels. If it turns cloudy and cool, you'll be glad you have them. Also to dry off before putting shirts and shorts back on.

2. Bottle of drinking water. Most dive ops have it, but not all. Sometimes they run out.

3. Anti-fog.

4. Marine life reference card/book. Fun to look stuff up right after dive.

5. Logbook. Have dive shop put their stamp in there; some are cool.

6. Waterproof pouch with cert cards, passports, some tip money for good divemasters. I also include a credit card....just in case......

7. Plastic trash bag for clothes. Keeps them nice and dry in your gear bag regardless of how wet it gets in the boat.

Have a great cruise and safe/fun diving!

Archived