Back on dry land

keepcruising

Just a quick hello to every one, we are back home now, (sad to say), sorry I couldn't get on before we left, but our internet was down for a few days.

Anyway we are back now, just got home and have started the sad job of unpacking. We had a great time, a few dramas, but a holiday wouldn't be a holiday without some.

Caught up with Gyyp and his wife a few times, and other poeple from other cruises we have been on.

A lot of ther crew and staff were the same as last time, even had the same cabin stewards. It is such a good feeling to walk around the ship and know so many people. It just makes it more of a big family affair.

Anyway must go now just thought I'd say hi and let you know were back.

Will talk soon, and answer any questions that people may have, but noe I have to get back to getting things ready for the kids to go to school on Monday.

Sandra

Just a quick hello to every one, we are back home now, (sad to say), sorry I couldn't get on before we left, but our internet was down for a few days.

Anyway we are back now, just got home and have started the sad job of unpacking. We had a great time, a few dramas, but a holiday wouldn't be a holiday without some.

Caught up with Gyyp and his wife a few times, and other poeple from other cruises we have been on.

A lot of ther crew and staff were the same as last time, even had the same cabin stewards. It is such a good feeling to walk around the ship and know so many people. It just makes it more of a big family affair.

Anyway must go now just thought I'd say hi and let you know were back.

Will talk soon, and answer any questions that people may have, but noe I have to get back to getting things ready for the kids to go to school on Monday.

Sandra

Hi Sandra and welcome back to reality :D :D Glad you had a good time. I'm looking forward to hearing all about your adventures :)

Trevor

Yes a warm welcome back home. hope you all had a wonderful time after your terrible start. It was on the news about the window cleaner but will be interested to hear your version.

Also look forward to hearing about the great time you had.....when you get your land legs back of course.

karon

Yes a warm welcome back home. hope you all had a wonderful time after your terrible start. It was on the news about the window cleaner but will be interested to hear your version.

Also look forward to hearing about the great time you had.....when you get your land legs back of course.

karon

Karen,

Just wondering what was said on the news about the incident. Just curious what they actually reported. They tried to keep it all quiet on board, but with such a small community everyone found out about it. Though I think we managed to keep the whole story away from the kids, at least till the end of the cruise, when another kid told our son about it. But at least they didn't see anything when it happened

Hi Sandra, how does it feel to be back in the real world?

It was reported that a man fell on to the wharf while cleaning windows. They said they weren't treating it as suspicious but work cover had been called in. Haven't heard anything since. I heard that a few people were complaining about leaving late & being inconvenienced on the first day of their holiday. How heartless are they?

Karen

Hi Sandra, how does it feel to be back in the real world?

It was reported that a man fell on to the wharf while cleaning windows. They said they weren't treating it as suspicious but work cover had been called in. Haven't heard anything since. I heard that a few people were complaining about leaving late & being inconvenienced on the first day of their holiday. How heartless are they?

Karen

Welcome home, hope you had fun.

I too heard the news, tried to search it on the net but no luck. They said he was a young man. How tragic.

Events at Sea reported that it was a painter who fell and not a window washer (as per below). I agree that it was pretty heartless of people to complain about leaving late because of a fatality but maybe they didn't know what had happened. I didn't see the news reports but think that maybe the reporter might have just asked anyone how they felt about leaving late and they may not necessarily have know that someone had died.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

"While docked in Sydney, a crew member was pasting rust protection on the ship's bridge area when he fell about 23 metres (70 feet) to the wharf below. He sustauined massive head injuries and multiple fractures and died on impact." Source: http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Well thats pretty much what happened, though I think it was a window washer, thats what some of the other crew were saying. He was cleaning the bridge windows, for those who can picture the sun, the bridge overhangs the side of the ship on both sides. According to the crew member I spoke to he was harnessed to the saftey rail with two saftey hooks and was moving one hook across when he undid the other prior to clipping in the first, then lost balance, and as they said landed on the warf and sustained massive head injuries. They tried reviving him, with no luck. Sections of the ship were roped off, and no other passengers were allowed to board, while an investigation was done.

One thing that AussieDF said, as she hadn't yet boarded, was that there was a lack of information in the terminal, to say why they were delayed, she said that they didn't hear an announcement about any incident until a few hours later, they were just waiting, so maybe the people who were interviewed had no idea about why there was a dalay.

We were on board, and when AussieDF rang me to find out what was going on she said that there were a few rumors going around, but no official reason for the delay.

We were up near the sky cam shortly after it happened, and I just happened to look over the edge, and was frozen with shock when I saw what was going on, which was bad enough in itself, but I had the kids with me, and had to make like nothing was going on, and move them away fast without making it obvious to them that something had happened.

They were happy with the reason that there was problems with loading the luggage on, tha's why there was a delay, and we had to wait, and stay away from different sections of the ship. That story was OK until at the end when another kid told my son, and he came to tell me, but at least they didn't have to see the sight that I saw.

I'd say that most people in the terminal were busy trying to board, so they wouldn't have been out looking at the ship. But I'm sure there would have been some people who saw what was going on, that section had clear line of sight to the terminal.

When it happened they were very fast in blocking the view to the terminal, and then putting up a barrier. They even stopped people photographing the ship where they could.Tourist in darling harbour who had no idea what was going on, just wanted to photograph the ship, and security went up to them and asked them to move in, and not take photos. They did their best I'm sure.

A very sad way to start a holiday, but what we felt I'm sure was nothing compared to his family, whom he had spoken to earlier that morning, saying that he was fine, and about to start his shift for the day.

I'm lucky not to suffer from seasickness, but I tell you what after that sight I was feeling very queezy for a couple of days.

Archived