skarletohara

We've not yet booked our cruise to Alaska, but will probably do so

in the next day or two.

My questions is regarding he embarkation procedure if we do NOT purchase

Princess transfers. I've read on the boards that you must register

at Egan Convention Center in downtown Anchorage. Is that only for

those who have purchase the Princess transfers or is that for

everyone?

We were thinking of taking the Alaska Railroad on our own. It's $55 vs.

$90 through Princess, and if we were to do that, can we bring all of our

luggage aboard or do they have holding compartments or what?

We're not adverse to buying the Princess transfers for the bus, but we

just want to avoid the hassle of having to go the convention center if

we don't have to.

We also thought about renting a car. However, I just checked through

Avis and for a 24 hr period it would be $220 and $330 for a 2-day period.

Hi Dana... it's me Sandy... from the Mexico 3/4 thread. I did lots of research on this subject because we'll be boarding the Sapphire Princess in Whittier for our 28 day cruise this September. We will NOT be taking the Princess transfers. So far, no one told us we have to check in at the Egan Center... can't imagine why we would need to. I personally think that's only for transfer people. But, you might want to ask Princess directly.

We put a deposit down on the RR Anchorage to Whittier but heard the drive is beautiful and we do like to stop to take photos and check things out so we're cancelling the RR and rented a car instead, through Avis (I've heard that's about the only rental company that allows you to do a drop off in Whittier). The car isn't cheap because the drop off cost is $100. We're arriving in Anchorage Thursday night (actually 12:06 am Friday morning. Avis is the only rental company that has an office at the airport open Sunday thru Saturday 5:50 am to 1:30 am. We'll have the car the whole day Friday (we intend to sleep fast) to explore Anchorage. Saturday we'll do the drive to Whittier (thru the infamous tunner)! The total charges are $322. The RR is cheaper but heck, you only live once... right?

Oh... about the RR. They take your luggage and put it in a luggage car, you can't take it with you in the passenger cars. Also, I think the Princess RR has domed cars but don't quote me on that. I know the RR people book themselves, have no domed cars... maybe that's why they're more $$.

We can talk more when we meet on the evening of the 4th at the Wheelhouse Bar.

Sandy

Where did you find the info on the RR? I went to their web site to see if I could book a Whittier to Anchorage train, and only found the Spencer Glacier sight seeing trip. Thanks for you help.

By the way the drive is beautiful! Just make sure you allow enough time to get through the tunnel.

You don't have to go to the Egan Center. Just show up at the Depot and board your train. Wen you do go to the Depot, the ARR will take your luggage and they will hold it for Princess. Princess will come over with a truck and take your luggage to Whittier. Your train will arrive around noon into Whittier. The dropoff in Whittier is across the street from the Cruise Building. Just walk into the building and checkin. Your luggage will most likely arrive in your room a few hours after you.

Archived