Zenith Room 5040 and 5068

63galaxie

Most of the cabins on Zenith are the same size, and like most cruise ship cabins, barely big enough for 2 adults. But plenty of people sail with 3 and 4 to a room and survive. I suspect you will too.

The deck plan for Zenith doesn't show 3rd & 4th berths for these cabins, so if only 2 to a cabin you should be fine.

Are you asking if one of those rooms is big enough for 2 adults and 2 children or are you asking if both rooms is big enough?

Sorry I wasn't clear. We are putting 4 people in each room. Two adults and two children in each room. We were told these were handicapped rooms and that they were large enough to put a roll away bed in. Now I'm concerned that this won't be the case. Guess I'll call my TA again.

Thanks for the information!

Sorry I wasn't clear. We are putting 4 people in each room. Two adults and two children in each room. We were told these were handicapped rooms and that they were large enough to put a roll away bed in. Now I'm concerned that this won't be the case. Guess I'll call my TA again.

Thanks for the information!

Go to the celebrity site. You can look at the cabins there. Take a virtual tour. Our cabin was 9077, 172 sq. feet. I saw three other cabins of my friends all all of ours were the same size. I do not know about handicapped rooms.

Is this your first cruise? The cabin size was a standard size. I have been in smaller, sovereign of the Seas. The Carnival fanasty class are slightly larger, our atruim cabin on Mariner of the Seas was slightly smaller, on MOS there were balcony cabins across form us that were pretty much the size of the Zenith cabins, maybe slightly larger.

The only times I have had large cabins was Disney Wonder a balcony, 300 sq. feet and on HAL Statendam-which was about the size as the Disney cabin.

We have shared a cabin the size of Zenith's with our daughter and did okay-the only time we were really cramped was on Sovereign of the Seas (135 square feet). The second time we sailed Sovereign we booked 2 cabins-it only cost us around $200 more for two cabins then it would have for one and we felt it was worth the extra $200.

Here's a link to Celebrity's site with the deck plan for Zenith. There are a few wheelchair accessible cabins on that deck, but not the rooms you mention. If you enter the room number in the box where it says "Find Your Stateroom" - it will give details of the cabin. http://www.celebrity.com/plancruise/ships/deck.do;jsessionid=0000r7UdIVn7Q_1PHPwybmnZ5tB:1028etot9?shipCode=ZN&deckCode=ER&sailDate=1060220

I've been in the 172 sq. ft. cabins on two Zenith cruises - one of our cabins had two pull-down upper berths (although we didn't need them as there were just two of us.) If you can get a cabin like this, I think it would be preferable to having a roll-in bed (unless you can actually get a larger, wheelchair accessible cabin.) And even with one roll away bed, you would need somewhere for the 4th person to sleep.

Four people in a 172' cabin will be tight, but not impossible. But you will need either pull down berths or a pull out couch - which the two cabins that you mention, don't have.

One nice thing about Zenith is the generous storage space - both closets and cabinets, as well as under the bed storage room.

We were on the Zenith in December. My partner is parapledgic so I did my homework on the handicap cabins. There are only four handicap cabins on the ship and the two that you have are not them. The handicap cabins are 5049, 5048, 5060, and 5061. The rooms you have are going to be tight with four people. It can be done, but it will be tight.

KJ, Your TA absolutely should be able to find out how the rooms are configured. I just returned from a Zenith B2B. I was in 4050. It had 2 twin beds, and 2 fold down berths just like the description in the Celebrity brochure says. It could sleep 4. Your cabins do not show the symbols for 2 fold down berths, so I would be very surprised if they had them, and you will be in for a real problem if they do not, and as stated the brochure does not show them. So get your TA on the ball and find out.

I also stayed in 9095 which shows the exact same symbols as the cabins you have booked. There were no fold down berths, no sofa, and only 2 persons could sleep there. It was exactly as I expected based on the deck plan contained in the brochure.

Here is a link to a deck plan of your cabins along with a simulation of the room:

http://www.celebrity.com/plancruise/ships/stateroomlocator.do;jsessionid=0000HAYlDSxGI-IhpFn-RqOgyss:1028etmk3?shipCode=ZN&startDate=1060225&cabinCode=5040

There is no floor space for a cot. If you have two adults and two children, then each adult is going to have to share a twin bed with a child. There is not enough room in one of the twin beds for two adults. The other option would be to have the two twins put together into a queen and all four sleep on the queen size bed.

I hate to be negative, but I think I would go a bonkers in that kind of living situation for five days. It would not be my idea of a good vacation.

No offence, but if you do not need a handicap cabin you shouldn't be in one. Leave it for someone who does need it. Since someone said the ship only has 4 W/C cabins they should be in demand. We almost where unable to go on your last cruise when a triple w/c room was not available. Luckly someone traded with us.

KJ - on Celebrity's website, you can check availability of cabins that will accommodate 4 people - there are some left for your sailing, so it should not be a problem for your TA to switch cabins now.

Thanks for the all of the info and advice.

I made a mistake. The rooms we are booked in are 5048 and 5060.

We were in rooms on another floor but when we called in to ask about an upgrade because we've sailed Celebrity once before, we were given these rooms. We never said anything about needing a handicapped room. Subsequently, my MIL has gone on oxygen so they may need a handicapped room. I am diabetic but I certainly don't need a handicapped room. Why would they give them to us? I certainly don't want to take up a room that someone who really needs it should have.

This has been a strange turn of events! And really a hassle!!!

KJ

So now that you have given us the correct room numbers, I still am not hearing that you have spoken with either X or your TA to determine the exact configuration and capacity of those cabins. The brochure is still confusing to me, as I'm not 100% sure whether they will sleep 3 or 4.

He has booked two of the four handicap cabins on the ship. Personally, unless you have a pysical need, then I think you have done a bad thing. Celebrity does not put those cabins in normal inventory. The only way to book them is for someone, in this case you TA, to contact special needs and tell someone you had a physical need for a handicap room. Celebrity is very picky about releasing these rooms. My TA said that in the last few months they have even been asking for letters from doctors because of abuse.

I am sorry if this comes off as me being a jerk, but because of Ken being in a chair, we (and everyone with a physical challenge) are very limited in what cabins we can get. On the Zenith it is even worse because there are only four cabins on the whole ship that are wheelchair accessible. You have booked half of them.

He has booked two of the four handicap cabins on the ship. Personally, unless you have a pysical need, then I think you have done a bad thing. Celebrity does not put those cabins in normal inventory. The only way to book them is for someone, in this case you TA, to contact special needs and tell someone you had a physical need for a handicap room. Celebrity is very picky about releasing these rooms. My TA said that in the last few months they have even been asking for letters from doctors because of abuse.

I am sorry if this comes off as me being a jerk, but because of Ken being in a chair, we (and everyone with a physical challenge) are very limited in what cabins we can get. On the Zenith it is even worse because there are only four cabins on the whole ship that are wheelchair accessible. You have booked half of them.

Did you even READ my post? I didn't ask for a handicapped room, nor did I KNOW they were handicapped, and, as I stated, I would feel wrong about taking one. THAT's one of the reasons I asked in the first place. And finally, did you notice that I said my mother-in-law will be on oxygen??? She IS handicapped. Please don't jump all over someone when they are asking for help. I DIDN"T DO "A BAD THING." You are absolutely wrong about their only being one way to get them. All I did was ask for an upgrade through my travel agent and these are the rooms they gave me. I only found out they were handicapped when I started asking about the number of beds. Think about it. Why would I WANT a room that only has three beds when I have four people and I need four beds?????

And, just FYI, I have left word for my TA to get this resolved.

63galaxie, you are right, I did not read your post carefully. I am sorry. I get really sensitive about this subject... just like handicap parking spaces. Again I do apaologize.

Is your cruise close? I did not see any dates. I just mention that because others have gotten moved into a handicap room but usually just a few weeks before departure.

There is room for a roll away bed in the Zenith handicap rooms.

Depending on availability, there are rooms on board that have one or two upper berths in addition to the two lower beds.

63galaxie, you are right, I did not read your post carefully. I am sorry. I get really sensitive about this subject... just like handicap parking spaces. Again I do apaologize.

Is your cruise close? I did not see any dates. I just mention that because others have gotten moved into a handicap room but usually just a few weeks before departure.

There is room for a roll away bed in the Zenith handicap rooms.

Depending on availability, there are rooms on board that have one or two upper berths in addition to the two lower beds.

Thanks. I understand your sensitivity. My husband and I are both special ed teachers. We've fostered over 20 children (with all kinds of disabilities) and we've recently adopted three children, all with special needs. So, we've "been there." I sympathize with you and your partner!!

I just got off the phone with w/my TA who spoke with Celebrity. Apparently, they are saying that the only rooms available for four are aft. Because we are traveling with two elderly people, one who is on oxygen, we need to be midship (three of the four adults have gotten very seasick on a past cruise) and we need to be close together as they will have two of our four children in their cabin. Celebrity said that if anyone needs a handicapped room before we sail, we will be contacted and moved. Is this true? We have about 4 weeks until we sail.

I am NOT happy about this. We had rooms, we asked for an upgrade, now I find out we've been put in rooms that we may be moved from! We chose our original rooms months ago, and we were very specific about the location.

However, we will move if we have to. I just don't think it's right that we may have to be miserable because Celebrity made a mistake (our so it seems!) by putting us in a room meant for handicapped people. Am I wrong about this?

Thanks. KJ

It seems your TA has done you no favors in this matter. The TA should have insured from the get go that you were booked into rooms that would sleep 4. I don't think that is a difficult request.

Do not go aft. There is noticeable vibration from the shafts and props. I felt nothing in 4050, but very evident in 9095.

KJ, if you are used to larger ships, then you should stick to the midship if at all possible. The Zenith tends to roll more at night than larger ships. We were in the handicap room that is directly behind guest relations and we still felt the roll. For us, we love the ship moving as we sleep better, but I feel for those who are sensitive.

Space in the handicap room is not a problem with one roll away bed. I think the beds can be combined into a queen and then the roll away put where the other twin was. The twin beds are in an L shape.

I agree with signman, your TA is supposed to know what is going on with all of this. Your TA should never have put you in this situation or allowed Celebrity to do this. You use a TA for thier knowledge and their attention to details. He/she failed you with this.

Oh and one other thing. If anyone gets seasick... have them go to the infirmary and get the shot. They will be better in 10 minutes. For something so simple it is not worth being mirsable over.

Thanks for the support. This will be the last time I use an online booking agent! Guaranteed!!!!

And I didn't know one could get a shot onboard for seasickness. That's great to know! Thanks for that too!!!

And, not that it's going to do any good, but I'm going to contact Celebrity directly to voice my opinion in this matter. I think someone in management needs to know what happened.

I feel better just talking about it!

Hopefully, it will all work out. And, as my husband says, it either will or it won't (such wisdom).

There is a shot available. They will charge you for it, but it is still better than being misirable for a vacation you are paying for. Also, you might consider taking the Dramamine patch. Or you might try Seabands which does not use any drugs. The Seabands use acupressure and if you are wearing them when you get on the ship, you are not supposed to get sick. I have a friend who swears by the Seabands. All of these items are available for cheap at your local drug store. They are more expensive on the ship.

Ken and I were talking while I was typing this and he questioned the cost of the shot. The shot is just a simple antihistamine. Cruise lines used to do the shots for $10. The thought that came to mind was would they charge an infirmary visit fee?? I will do a little research and get back. The shot is the quick fix and is absolutely worth it if someone is sick. Again, you are spending too much for the vacation to be sick if it is avoidable.

Archived