Caribbean cruises testing

We are booked on the Taste of the Tropics departing BARBADOS 27/02/21. I'm looking more closely at the testing requirements and come across this on the Marella site, link Marella-Cruises-entry-requirements-for-our-holiday-destinations-051121.pdf (tui.co.uk) , table 1, column 1. Last updated 05/11/21.

TESTING REQUIREMENT As a Marella Cruises safety measure, all customers regardless of age must complete an antigen (rapid flow) test to be taken after 21:00 the day before you are due to fly, but before checking-in for your outbound flight at your UK airport. You must produce a negative certificate at your UK airport. TESTING REQUIREMENT To satisfy Barbados entry requirements, all customers must complete a PCR in the three days before arrival. Your PCR test must be completed by a health professional. PRE-DEPARTURE FORMS You must complete the Barbados entry form at least 24 hours before travel, it’s available within the 72 hours prior to your arrival in Barbados.

According to this requirement I would need to take a test after 9pm the day before on the 26/02 as I'm flying at 10am 27/02. That's 13 hours prior to departure and at night. Not sure this will be possible and get test results back in time. Anybody given this any thought yet and in relation to their own circumstances?  

We are flying on Sunday and have booked our LFT tests through Chronomics. We do the test and upload the result via photographic evidence and they e-mail or text (not sure which) a certificate, they say within 10 to 15 mins.

I must admit that I am finding it all a bit stressful as the tests and forms cannot be done earlier!!

Molly

1 hour ago, sagaris said:

We are flying on Sunday and have booked our LFT tests through Chronomics. We do the test and upload the result via photographic evidence and they e-mail or text (not sure which) a certificate, they say within 10 to 15 mins.

I must admit that I am finding it all a bit stressful as the tests and forms cannot be done earlier!!

Molly

Hi Molly. 
what you have described above is exactly the procedure that you follow, you receive an email within minutes with your negative result certificate. As you say it’s a stressful time until you get the cert back but it seems to work quite well so don’t worry too much.😉

Hi Brummijam agreed very simple using UK tests refer to Tui PDF sheet one column one,

(TESTING REQUIREMENT
To satisfy Barbados entry requirements, all customers must complete a PCR in the three days before arrival. Your PCR test must be completed by a health professional.)

unless because you technically don’t enter Barbados and only stay in the port on arrival perhaps they wave it.

James 

16 hours ago, Jh1968 said:

Agreed it is stressful but the PCR test certificate with8n 3 days of landing in Barbados seems impossible to perform. This is the information that seems sketchy. 

I have booked out PCR tests with a company called DAM Health, it has cost £79.00 each, but at least I know it is going to be done properly and they e-mail a certificate by midnight on the day it is done.

• Thanks 1

Great response sagris sounds like a plan 🙂 I wonder what happens to the people who test positive from the PCR test, as I said before we go in 12th Dec I wonder if Barbados don’t drop this requirement if it will happen. The shear demograph of people going I believe over 50% will be at the UK airport will be there with only LFTs and not PCRs.

we will see 

James 

On 11/8/2021 at 8:59 PM, squink said:

We are booked on the Taste of the Tropics departing BARBADOS 27/02/21. I'm looking more closely at the testing requirements and come across this on the Marella site, link Marella-Cruises-entry-requirements-for-our-holiday-destinations-051121.pdf (tui.co.uk) , table 1, column 1. Last updated 05/11/21.

TESTING REQUIREMENT As a Marella Cruises safety measure, all customers regardless of age must complete an antigen (rapid flow) test to be taken after 21:00 the day before you are due to fly, but before checking-in for your outbound flight at your UK airport. You must produce a negative certificate at your UK airport. TESTING REQUIREMENT To satisfy Barbados entry requirements, all customers must complete a PCR in the three days before arrival. Your PCR test must be completed by a health professional. PRE-DEPARTURE FORMS You must complete the Barbados entry form at least 24 hours before travel, it’s available within the 72 hours prior to your arrival in Barbados.

According to this requirement I would need to take a test after 9pm the day before on the 26/02 as I'm flying at 10am 27/02. That's 13 hours prior to departure and at night. Not sure this will be possible and get test results back in time. Anybody given this any thought yet and in relation to their own circumstances?  

I asked Marella about the testing requirement and they kindly replied as follows;

You will be required to complete a PCR test within the allocated time frame along with a lateral flow after 9pm the day before to travel. A lateral flow test holds a 15 minute response whereby you will upload this to the appropriate channel. It is only that of the PCR you will await your test results.

I'll sort the 72hr test via PCR testing centre at Manchester Airport. Coincidentally we are off to Lanzarote soon and I have ordered 2xLFTs via Boots (£19 each), so I assume this is the same type of test required for the pre-departure test.

Good news is now the Barbados authorities dropped the need for the LFT on arrival at Grantly Adams airport, Barbados.

In our case we are cruise 1st and stay 2nd so we'll also need a further pre-arrival 72hr PCR test on board ship to be negative. 

From reading posts on other cruise ship lines (try the P&O section) I'm beginning to be concerned about potential for Covid outbreaks onboard ship, there's contemporary evidence that other cruise operators have isolated the person testing positive, together with certain close contacts, in a quarantine cabin and then off-load them at the next port. This is perhaps becoming the major concern.

Edited by squink
spelling

Had the PCR test yesterday at DAM healthcare in Derby, very quick and easy and the test certificates were emailed to me at approx 10pm. Both negative 😷😎, Discovery here we come🚢.

Just the LFT test to do after 9pm tonight.

Molly

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 11:49 AM, sagaris said:

Had the PCR test yesterday at DAM healthcare in Derby, very quick and easy and the test certificates were emailed to me at approx 10pm. Both negative 😷😎, Discovery here we come🚢.

Just the LFT test to do after 9pm tonight.

Molly

Hi sagaris, it'll be good to hear how the testing went on and feedback from your trip, excursions and port visit, etc. , and perhaps any covid incidents if you heard of any onboard. 

15 hours ago, mabellloyd said:

I have just done the repositioning cruise Palma to Barbados and have  just posted a review of this. Marella provide all the testing you need all lateral flow.

Yes thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Must be extremely difficult for both customers and providers at the moment with all the changing requirements but I honestly believe any bookings are likely to be changed or cancelled and must be taken into consideration when booking, personally I feel a few extra costs are not a problem on the overall costs of any cruise. Stay safe everyone and enjoy your cruising experience. 👍 

• Thanks 1