Formal Dining

csg62

We are taking our first cruise in April on RC Navigator of the Seas. We have two children 15 and 11. My question is regarding attire for the boys on the formal nights. They don't own suits and we don't want to spend a fortune on formal clothes. Also, what the dress code on the non-formal nights? We were even thinking of foregoing the formal nights. Does anyone have any suggestions. We want to have a relaxed vacation and not worry about bringing a lot of extra dressy clothes. Thanks!

You also could just forgoe eating in the dining room on the formal night(s) and just eat at the Windjammer, room service or one of the other restaurants. There is nothing that dictates that you HAVE to be in a suit and I know the subject of formal attire in the dining room has come up in many a post, for and against informal attire on formal nights. It's actually what you are comfortable with. On our formal night, there were children around in shirts and ties, some in suits. I didn't notice too many in casual attire on the formal night, though (I'm sure there were, I just didn't see/notice them).

Non-formal nights are generally long pants, no jeans as a general guideline - a collared shirt (such as a polo) is preferred. There are those who will quote you part and parcel of the RCCI dress code guidelines -- but for teen and pre-teen boys, non-jeans and a collared shirt will put you in very good company. You will see others dressed more 'down' (adults and kids), but as my mother always said "if everyone else jumped off a cliff, I suppose you would too" :D.

We generally choose to forego "formal" night (and we don't even have any teens!). If it is something that you decide is important to you here's a couple of options:

1) resale shops - a sports jacket or suit is much more affordable here. Jacket, dress-shirt, tie and "nice pants". My nephew (16) is enrolled at a Catholic all-boys high school with a very strict dress code. He buys his own clothes and gets really nice stuff at St. Vincent DePaul, Goodwill and the like, as well as the commercial resale shops.

3) Target - the men's and boy's sections both have dress-shirts and often have relatively inexpensive jackets. Look for the school uniform section for good deals on boys dressier stuff. Scour the clearance racks. If you are cruising to a warm destination AFTER western rites Easter, you can get some really good deals on dressier clothes and shoes at the discount stores.

2) rent tuxes through the ship (more expensive than many resale options, but no schleping extra clothes). Hey it could be quite the picture!

We took grandsons 3, 5 and 13 on a cruise last year. For the 13-year-old and 5-year-old I found tie and shirt sets at Wal-mart for around $15 that they wore with dark pants. The 3 year old had a pant-vest-shirt outfit I got at Penney's for $16. For other nights polo shirts and docker-type pants would be fine. I'd attach photos if I could figure out how to get them small enough! But I thought they looked great. As someone suggested earlier, Target is also a good place to look.

Archived