Difference between P&O and Princess?

Janman

We will be sailing on the Pacific Princess on 4/26. This will be the first sailing of the season under the Princess flag. Up until then she is under the P&O flag. I was wondering what noticeable differences there might be between the two. Does the menu change? US$ vs AU$? "Princess Patter" daily newspaper, staff,different entertainment? Has anyone sailed on her under both flags? She arrives into Sydney on 4/25 and we sail on 4/26. I imagine they will spend that free day "turning over" but does anyone know what that might entail other than routine maintenence? Any possibility that they might let weary travelers from the US on when we arrive from early AM flights? When we sailed on the Tahitian Princess, they let us on in the early morning even though some previous passengers would stay on most of the day. We could use the public rooms until the cabins were ready.

Janet

We sailed Pacific Princess (new) 11-03, Papeete to Sydney, and it was very much a Princess ship - food, entertainment, etc.

Haven't sailed on her while under the P&O (Aus) flag, but would suspect that while under P&O (Aus) food and entertainment would be more geared to that market.

Did sail P&O (UK) twice, on the old Oriana, and it was very British, including food and entertainment.

I would suspect that if you booked it as a Princess ship, it will be US geared, and if as a P&O (Aus) ship, it will be geared to our friends from down under.

They are a great bunch, those Aussies, but they do party hard.

If you can swing it, fly in a day or two early - Sydney is a world-class city.

Thanks Druke,

Your thoughts are the same as mine about differences. Just wondering if anyone down under might have traveled on both and noticed any differences there. We are short on time for this cruise as it is over 3 1/2 weeks long but have been to Sydney twice, most recently in Sept. when we started a 3 1/2 week land tour. It is indeed a great city and country. Aussies are some of the greatest people in the world!

Janet

The only think difference may be the entertainment. We have only been on the Sapphire sailing as Princess and the Pacific Princess sailing as P&O. Sapphire don't have the pymama parties and the island night parties. The food was basically the same on both ships except the New York Cheescake wasn't very nice on the Pacific Princess. On the Sapphire I had it nearly every night - it was the best. Also the alcohol may be cheaper under Princess as we noticed a big difference between the 2 ships. Even with the US$ exchange rates, drinks were much cheaper on the Sapphire. You will also pay more in your daily tips $6.00 Aust compared with $10 US because the wage structure is different under the 2 companies. The Princess ships don't pay their staff as well. Pacific Princess is a beautiful ship and we have booked on her again for next year. You will love her. :)Mummsie

They are a great bunch, those Aussies, but they do party hard.

If you can swing it, fly in a day or two early - Sydney is a world-class city.

It is indeed a great city and country. Aussies are some of the greatest people in the world!

Janet

Wasn't sure how to copy two quotes. Sorry about that. Tnanks Druke & Janet for your wonderful comments about us Aussies & our great country. Although English born I have recently become and Aussie citizen & very proud of it. I know I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world. And yes, we do like to party!

Karen

Archived