The reason Celebrity isn't enforcing the dress codes

usha

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise in two weeks aboard the Mercury...ten days to the Mexican Riviera. Our most recent cruises have been aboard Princess, but our expectation going in is Celebrity will be at least on par, but more likely a step up. That said, we found Princess cruisers in reasonable compiance with the dress code. Possibly the fact our cruises have been longer (more than 7 days) is a factor. On our first Princess cruise, I would have liked knowing the last formal night would be the most formal. This is when the champagne waterfall event occurs. Is there any similar insider info for Celebrity? After reading this thread, I'm a little uneasy that inquiring which night folks might take more effort is a laughable question. Nan

Hey Boo-Boo,

I'd add that the "may" in the dress code description for ladies does imply choice, but perhaps not about whether or not to comply, but whether to wear a dress or dressy pantsuit.

Also, another way to look at the word "may" in the description for men: the "may" says that you may (can) wear a jacket an tie, while 'you may not (cannot) wear other things' is implied. As in "You may have a cookie" vs. "You may not go out for recess!" When your teacher said "You may not," I don't think they meant to offer you a choice!:rolleyes: See, I took English too!:D And can parse with the best on 'em!

And here's the text copied verbatim from the web today:

"On informal nights, ladies may wear an informal dress or pants and blouse, while gentlemen may wear a jacket and tie with slacks. Casual nights call for casual, comfortable wear, so women may opt for a pantsuit or sporty outfit while gentlemen may choose a sport shirt and slacks."

"Formal attire calls for an evening gown or cocktail dress for ladies and a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for gentlemen."

I'll be the first to admit that they word things differently in various places, but I did notice the "out" for the cruise line is that the dress for the day will be spelled out for the passengers in the daily paper:

"The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening."

Guide, as in 'show you the way!':)

Ah, this debate will rage on!

Andrew

You will notice in the cruise lines suggested dress attire they refer to Gentlemen and Ladies. It is assumed that such are those who are passengers. Those that choose to parse the dress code or ignore it altogether are neither gentlemen nor ladies.

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise in two weeks aboard the Mercury...ten days to the Mexican Riviera. Our most recent cruises have been aboard Princess, but our expectation going in is Celebrity will be at least on par, but more likely a step up. That said, we found Princess cruisers in reasonable compiance with the dress code. Possibly the fact our cruises have been longer (more than 7 days) is a factor. On our first Princess cruise, I would have liked knowing the last formal night would be the most formal. This is when the champagne waterfall event occurs. Is there any similar insider info for Celebrity? After reading this thread, I'm a little uneasy that inquiring which night folks might take more effort is a laughable question. Nan

I thought the cruisers on Princess tended to dress more formally than those on the Celebrity cruises we were on. I think the 2nd formal night on the Millenium was the midnight buffet.

Archived