Rum Point Ferry

daddowdall

I recall reading somewhere that the ferry from the Hyatt to Rum Point was discontinued, but may be up and running again. Does anyone know for sure if there is currently ferry service to Rum Point, and if so, where exactly do you pick it up? How long is the ferry trip? How often do they run? Thanks!

definitely is NOT running...

with the exception that a couple of cruise lines do charter the ferry for shore excursions. Disney Magic is the most regular of these, but there are occasional others. If your cruise line says there is a Rum Point shore excursion via ferry, count yourself lucky.

Still no timeline if/when service will resume. I will definitely post any change of this situation.

Thanks, Drew. You seem to be the resident GC expert on this board, so I'll go off topic a bit. With no ferry service, we are thinking of renting a car, driving from the car rental lot across from the airport to Rum Point. Our ship arrives at 7 a.m., so taking into account the time it takes to tender into the port, I reserved a car, to pick up at 9 a.m. Avis offers to meet us at a spot (Blue Iguana?) near the cruise pier, and shuttle us to the airport location. I also intend to return the car to the airport location by 1 p.m. I need to be back on the ship by 2 p.m. I'd like to spend 2-3 hours at Rum Point. Am I being overly ambitious with this plan and timetable? Thanks again.

I usually check in around here most days...

As to the timeline... I do lack experience with the whole tendering to shore from the cruise ship factor. Never done that here as my cruise experience is strictly Eastern Caribbean.

As always ship time vs local time may be an issue... and it still makes my head hurt after 4 years of thinking about it. I think you might be able to meet Avis a bit earlier than 9am? Just seems a long time to tender in and walk down to the Blue Iguana.

Drive time, if you drive like a local and don't miss any turns is about 45 minutes. Remember those speed limits are in miles per hour! Search around here for the step-by-step driving directions I wrote up, and assign someone as navigator!

So it sounds like you could get 2-3 hours at Rum Point. Just won't have much time for anything else in GC!

We did exactly what you want to do on our cruise in January. We were on th ROS (RCCL). There was an early tender time between 7 and 7:30. We waited on the stairs on the second floor to be let down to tender over. Avis does not start pick up until 8am. The lady at the Blue Iguana will call them to tell them you are there. We liked picking up at the airport, because it saved us from driving through downtown traffic. It does take 45 min., we allowed an hour - just in case. I can't remember exactly what time we returned to the pier, but it was in the 2:00pm - 3:00pm range. We asked the driver to drop us off at the pier instead of the Blue Igauna. The lines were long, we were one of the last tenders over. Everything went very smooth - this was the highlight of our cruise.

Happywife - we would like to do the same in April - we have a car on hold from Avis. I'm somewhat confused regarding picking up the car at the airport? Do you walk to the Blue Iguana, have someone take you to the airport to get car or do you take taxi privately? or does Avis do this as a service?If so, what is the cost of transportation to the airport. Your help is kindly appreciated. Cindy

Does anyone know if the Rum Point Ferry will ever run again ?????

At this point, no. That is to say, no one knows. As of this time it is still a wait-and-see approach.

All equipment is in functional order - ferry boat, docks, etc... decision seems to be one of economics as discussed in a newspaper article on the island many months ago.

Archived