Early or Late Dining. Opinions please

RKAJ

On our first cruise, we chose late seating. By the time we were finished eating, it was after 10:00. We were so tired from a busy day, that we usually ended going back to the room after dinner.

On our upcoming cruise, I have chosen early seating because the latest we stay in any port is 5:00. Since we have to be back on board by 4:30, I figured this gives us plenty of time to get ready for the early seating without being rushed.

Hi, personally I think the first seating is better for a few reasons, mainly because all the good shows are at the 2nd seating time, and during the first seating there are no shows. But, either way you're going to have a great time....Happy Sailing

That's not true, or it hasn't been true on cruises I've been on. The shows for the late seating are generally on during the early seating and then the shows for the early seating are after dinner. That's how it's always worked, unless they've changed things...

That's not true, or it hasn't been true on cruises I've been on. The shows for the late seating are generally on during the early seating and then the shows for the early seating are after dinner. That's how it's always worked, unless they've changed things...

Pardon the french, but that sucks. The show for the late seating shoud be after dinner. That would keep the little ones and the old ones at a safe distance.

Pardon the french, but that sucks. The show for the late seating shoud be after dinner. That would keep the little ones and the old ones at a safe distance.

I agree. The show scheduling is the one negative thing (for us) about having the late seating. It just seems somehow wrong to watch a show before dinner.

In the past, there have been certain nights where they just have one show which is, obviously, after the second seating. Those are my favorite nights.

I agree. The show scheduling is the one negative thing (for us) about having the late seating. It just seems somehow wrong to watch a show before dinner.

In the past, there have been certain nights where they just have one show which is, obviously, after the second seating. Those are my favorite nights.

Maybe we'll adjust our dining habits and keep the main dining room for the 1st 2 nights and maybe one other when the show is late. We never eat in the DR on the last night. I find the envelope/tipping thing embarassing.

I always elect the late seating. It's leisurly, there are fewer families with small children (I have four small children so I am small childrened out) and in general I like the atmophere better. It's not something I can define. We usually eat late at home too, 8 is not unheard of by any means. I also have to sit around waiting for the late night activities for less time. I can take my time with my hair (an annoyance no matter the length) and nap in the afternoon. I love naps on vacation. Funny how the kids fight them so, they are obviously flawed in that regard.

Pole your party, lay out the answers here and go with the majority (Heaven forbid they are split down the middle! LOL)

We took the late seating for our cruise in January, original had first down but changed it to late as we wanted to do sail aways and watch us leave port.

Back home we eat around 6:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. and we are on Mountain Standard time so when we go to Florida we gain two hours so I think we will be fine.

Christine

Personal preference of course. I love late.... gives you so much more day time....and night time has plenty of things to do even as late as after late seating. Shows are either before or after during the cruise so you do not miss the shows. I love to have a coffee and snack at 5 after sunning all day or hot tubs or port days. I would hate for the day to end that early to go eat.

Archived