Level Upgrade Process?

elcid79

Anyone have any success with a level upgrade?  We are sailing in a few weeks and I just put in my bid.  I wanted to buy a suite to begin with but the only suite available was the Massive Suite @ $11k.   Which frankly was out of my budget.  The best option was a XL Terrace.   That was like $2600. for the week.   I booked it, the following morning I got the "Upgrade your Level" email. 🤨

So does Virgin, withhold inventory to hope people up-bid the prices?  

What would be a reasonable bid over the minimum?  If I am outbid, do I have an opportunity to rebid, to chase the room vs. Sliding that slider all the way to the right?

Thanks in advance.

J

sorry if this has been answered, I have been digging around unsuccessfully for a few days trying to find some info.

On 2/28/2022 at 9:07 PM, elcid79 said:

Q. So does Virgin, withhold inventory to hope people up-bid the prices?

A. Hmmm, that’s a great question… We had a similar experience when booking our 1st Virgin cruise.  We wanted a suite, but at the time of booking we were too close to the sailing date to hold one without paying in full. So we booked an XL Terrace and tried to upgrade with the bidding process. Unfortunately, the bidding process turned into what seemed like a competition in who has the biggest bank account. Initially I thought I was bidding on the total cost of the suite upgrade (I bid the lowest eligible amount), but then it changed to a per passenger bid. If that’s accurate, the last price I saw before the bidding closed out was a total cost for a four day cruise in a Seriously Suite of over $18K!!! I “Seriously” hope nobody paid that much…

Q. What would be a reasonable bid over the minimum?

A. Everybody’s strategy for bidding is different. Considering the short amount of time you have before you sail, I’d bid low to start out and see how it goes. Keep in mind the maximum you’re willing to pay and stick to it. 

Q. If I am outbid, do I have an opportunity to rebid, to chase the room vs. Sliding that slider all the way to the right?

A. Yes. When you get out bid, you will be notified along with where your next minimum bid needs to start. Just remember, if they accept your bid, your committed to paying that amount. 

My suggestion for your next Virgin cruise would be to try and book far enough in advance to get the cabin you want. We loved cruising with VV on the Scarlet Lady, and have a future cruise booked with them in Oct. We got the Mega Rock Star cabin we wanted and everything is set, no hassles.

Hope this is helpful. If you have any questions or would like to know more about our experience, let me know. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 2:30 PM, elcid79 said:

Thanks for the response.  We placed a few bids. We will see what happens.  

Were you successful on the bid? If so, how much did you bid, and what did you get?

• 1 month later...

hello everyone.I wanted to follow up on the virgin voyages bidding process. I have a cruise on June 15-19th. I originally booked an xl room and than called a gorgeous suite opened up.  Unfortunately they did not inform me it was a handicap suite so bathroom is totally different. They have no other POSH, FAB, GORGEOUS, or MASSIVE suites they said.  the next day I went on to the upgrade site an ta da the fab, posh, and massive suite could all be bid on.  this tells me either they are A. holding suites for bidding process (most likely) or B. having the bidding as a back up if people cancel.  I spoke with a few people in customer service and they said rooms are all sold and they can not "see" the upgrade rooms. I than spoke to the VIP line to set up my transfer and the gentleman has been there  since day one and he said if you are bidding on it the rooms are available.  I wouldn't say they are with holding the rooms but did a run around saying the are constantly shuffling but if you put a bid in the room is available.  Does anyone have any idea what is real? I really want to make sure I get an upgrade and all my bids are in the "Strong " category.  

16 hours ago, drewdawg199 said:

I’m pretty sure VV just uses the upgrades as standby for late cancels.  The suites are regularly fully booked.  Much easier to just book the suite you want on a voyage that has it available.

I think you're right. Virgin are letting people bid for upgrades including some where no room is currently available. If the room doesn't become free then the bid won't be accepted. This also makes sense in scenarios where someone in a premium room gets upgraded, because someone bidding for their original room can also be upgraded.

I spoke to a veteran on their red glove team for the rockstar clients. He was sure if they are on the bidding site the rooms are available. They will go to the highest bidder.  He basically admitted that they hold back rooms for the bidding process. The sailor services also i hinted this stating they can not see the bidding rooms like they are not even in the pool for rooms to be sold. 

10 hours ago, jason1022 said:

I spoke to a veteran on their red glove team for the rockstar clients. He was sure if they are on the bidding site the rooms are available. They will go to the highest bidder.  He basically admitted that they hold back rooms for the bidding process. The sailor services also i hinted this stating they can not see the bidding rooms like they are not even in the pool for rooms to be sold. 

Thanks.

I'd be surprised if it is entirely like that. It seems crazy that if Fab suits sold out and one of the fab suite holders bids for an upgrade to a massive suite (which is available) that virgin wouldn't allow people to bid for the upgrade to the Fab suite that would become available; they'd be giving up thousands of effectively free additional revenue.

I'm not surprised they hold some inventory back. Because I was using an access key I could only book a standard terrace, central terrace were available at $40 more, after booking I got an email about bidding with a starting bid of $100 for a central. It looks like they think they can sell some upgrades for more than they'd be able to get by just selling the rooms directly in the first place.