Retirement cruises sinking marriages

chaz cruiser

Hi All,

Found this interesting article on the www.news.com.au website and thought you may be interested!! I guess it is a bit like when sailors retire and head home and their wives remember why they married someone who was never really home!!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Retirement cruises sinking marriages

22-02-2006

JAPANESE couples who celebrate the husband's retirement with a leisurely cruise or overseas trip may find themselves headed for a divorce court when they get home.

Many Japanese men who retire have spent decades living largely apart from their families as they devoted themselves to their jobs - a recipe for trouble when they decide to take extended trips abroad with their wives.

"It is dangerous for couples to suddenly go on overseas trips after the husbands retire," author Sayoko Nishida, who wrote a popular book called Why Are Retired Husbands Such a Nuisance? was quoted as telling Kyodo news agency.

Nishida, who runs a school in Tokyo called "Retirement Cram School" to help couples deal with the issue, recommends that couples take one-day bus tours as practice. Others say the real kiss of death for a relationship is a cruise, since couples are stuck together with each other on a ship for days or even weeks.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/story/print/0,10119,18234551,00.html

Oh Chaz ...I had to laught at this one because I think I fit into that mould.

I am so happy this morning because I have some quality time with myself...my hubby has gone to the dentist!

Marleneann.

Oh Chaz ...I had to laught at this one because I think I fit into that mould.

I am so happy this morning because I have some quality time with myself...my hubby has gone to the dentist!

Marleneann.

That "alone" time is very precious isn't it?

Karen

This is funny as people have asked me, Don't you get sick of each other, being 'cooped' up all day together. I tell them some days I don't see hubby much at all. We both do our own thing most of the time, on sea days, as I like the bingo and the afternoon entertainments they have. They have commented that it sounds like we were on two different cruises.:D You don't have to live in each others pockets at all. That's why we like cruising, there is something for everyone.

I agree with Rockie above.

My wife and I are happily married (I think), but we are not joined at the hip. On ships, we often do not see each other after breakfast until dinner.

We often take different shore excursions - we have very different tastes.

Works for us!

Archived