Cruise Auctions?

BamaBelle

I am considering booking my next cruise through one of the internet travel auction websites. This would be an area I have never ventured in and I am uncertain whether it would be a good idea or not. The only one I have considered so far is SkyAuction. Has anyone here ever used them to do this or another one I have not checked into yet? I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences whether they be positive or negative ones...bring them on. Thanks.

BamaBelle

[B]Skyauction[/B]
I booked the May 23rd Legend out of NYC using Skyauction's "Buy It Now" Feature.
I got a fantastic deal ($725 for 8 nights Cat5A Guar - taxes included). I was a bit skeptical, but we got our docs and everything is all set.

Just be ready for poor customer support. You can email them, and it takes a few days. But if you get a great price, go with it...

[B]Advice[/B]
Check the "Buy it now" prices daily for a few weeks...you'll be surprised how much they fluctuate!

I got my cruise on SkyAuction. Cat 4A for two people on a holiday week for $630 total...for both of us. Not bad.

My mom and aunt also got a cruise on SkyAuction last year and were very happy with their price and transaction.

Carnival Carnivale 07/85
Carnival Imagination 08/95
Carnival Holiday 03/02
Carnival Holiday 10/02
Carnival Conquest 9/03
Carnival Sensation 2/05

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2005;02;07;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img] Carnival Sensation (Can't Wait)

I sucessfully bid on an 11 day Christmas Cruise for two last year through Sky Auction. I upgraded to an oceanview cabin. The total came to about $1700, which I felt was a real deal! The only thing is that you do not know the location of your cabin until a few weeks before sailing. We were pleasantly surprised and pleased with the location and the cabin we were finally assigned. As for their customer service, in the beginning, it was poor, but as we got closer to the sailing date, they were very accomodating and helpful.

Horizon 12/19

Thanks to all of you who have responded so far. Your input is so helpful and greatly appreciated. Those of you who had the standard 4A inside cabin or whatever other category SkyAuction listings of interest included without additional cost; did you get exactly what was included if say it was a 4A inside cabin or did you get something better when you got your cabin assignment like one may quite possibly get with a category guarantee? Also, were you able to successfully change your dining seating time from SkyAuction's standard late seating to the early seating? And one more...were there any hidden charges or service fee other than the standard taxes and port charges? Thanks again.

BamaBelle

[This message was edited by BamaBelle on 05-14-04 at 04:41 PM.]

BarnaBelle, when I bid on our cruise, there was no specific catagory.
It was either an inside, or oceanview cabin (for an added fee). Lately, I've noticed that they are advertising "Oceanview" for some cruise auctions. Our's was a Celebrity Cruise, and we could not get any information from them (Celebrity) as to where I cabin might be. I even tried to get information from Celebrity's Group Sales, and they refered me back to Sky Auction. The booking number I received was Sky Auctions'...and not Celebritys'. Evidently, SkyAuction reserves a block of rooms (thereby getting a group rate) and doesn't release any information as to where or on what deck they are until they are all sold. As for any "added on" fees, there were none, except perhaps a minimal transaction fee of $15.00. I'm not clear on that. Basically, each auction shows the port & tax fees, so when you bid, remember to keep in mind, those fees will be added to your winning bid. Hope this helps!

Horizon 12/19

Bamabelle, I have booked through skyauction 3 times and got a couple of upgrades to 6A rather than the 4A they guarenteed. As stated previoulsy the customer service is not the greatest, but they kind of expect you to know what you want, when you bid. I did get a bottle of wine in the room each time. I used to use bid4vactions, but found the prices better on skyauction. Hope you get a good deal, just remember to check on other sailings on same cruise that may be set for a buy it now and make sure you don't bid over that price. Not getting a good deal if you do. Tim

Carnivale'83,Jubilee'89,Fantasy '95,'98,2000,Premier '91,'98,NCL '00,'01,'03, Holiday '02 3X. 3/13/04 Holiday

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
[img]http://www.bigotis.com/valorvampires.gif[/img]

Archived