QM2 S.America Iguazu Excursion Cancelled

Emu

For those interested, I was just officially informed that the 15 hour excursion from Montevideo to Iguazu Falls has been axed.

This is due to the amended itenary and reduction in port times.

No mention was made of any alternatives.

No other information regarding other excursions (eg the Antarctic flightseeing) was offered, as we hadn't booked and were not affected. But I would suggest those who have bookings check on the status, so that at least you have time to make some alternate plans.

So sorry - know that this was one of the one's you were most interested in doing.

Any news about the Buenos Aires expedition from Montevideo? I can call TA, but since I've been on the phone all day sorting other things out, if you already know, I'd appreciate the info!

We just got off of the westbound version of this cruise. Cunard should know from our experience exactly what they can and cannot accomplish. For one thing, I can guarantee you that they will avoid -- to the extent possible -- tendered ports. They just can't get 2,500 people off and back on the ship in a reasonable fashion because most of those ports to which they have to tender do not have landing facilities for more than one tender at a time (that's about 100 passengers per tender). Tenders cannot be operated on less than a 20 minute turn under such circumstances so I am sure you understand the problem. In terms of our trip port calls to, Rio, Montevideo, Valparaiso, Calleo, and Panama City (even though the latter was tendered) were just fine. All others were average to terrible in terms of getting to and from excursions. Panama City's Amador Island has a wonderful marina that they tendered to and it has room for four tenders at a time! The QM2 never had to use more than two spots and was running tenders on very quick turns (8-10 minutes). The other tender ports need to send their port officials to Panama City to see what it is going to take to serve these mega-ships....or just accept the fact that they will stop calling at their ports.

EMU

Usually, I’m dishing out overflowing buckets of optimism and eccentric quips about upcoming QM2 events. Not this time. I know from reading your previous posts that the Iguazu Falls excursion was high on your list, perhaps at the top, and am deeply saddened to hear that it was officially cancelled.

Best Regards,

Snow . . .

Talked to Cunard yesterday, as of about 4PM they had only one obstructed spot left on the Antarctic flyover (we booked it) and are only accepting waitlist reservations in writing for this excursion.

And, to make matters worse, you were right, EMU - the Buenos Aires trip is cancelled, too.

In essence, only one of the four prebooked excursions for the segment we have booked were even available. Sigh. You are right, snow, hard to stay upbeat in the face of such a radical change from what we booked....

Archived